Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How will Gandalf be freed?

Jettorex
Lorien

Feb 12 2014, 5:31pm

Post #1 of 15 (626 views)
Shortcut
How will Gandalf be freed? Can't Post

thoughts, ideas?

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Feb 12 2014, 6:08pm

Post #2 of 15 (374 views)
Shortcut
From what we know, Saruman and Galadriel will be involved [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir Christopher Lee said that Saruman would play a big part in TABA, presumably in freeing Gandalf. As for the details, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

tsmith675
Gondor

Feb 12 2014, 6:45pm

Post #3 of 15 (309 views)
Shortcut
Magic.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"This day we FIGHT!"

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 12 2014, 6:59pm

Post #4 of 15 (342 views)
Shortcut
Well, we know that Radagast and Beorn are acquainted. [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect that Radagast is going to enlist the Skin-changer's help on his way to Rivendell (or perhaps on the return journey). Whether Beorn will attempt anything before the arrival of the White Council is an entirely different question.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Thranderz
Rohan

Feb 12 2014, 9:04pm

Post #5 of 15 (259 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn doing it could be quite emotional? He understands what it is like to be locked up in a cage. He gladly accepts to help free Gandalf and when he helps him out we get some of Shore's amazing music ans Gandalf stumbles out and almost falls into Beorn. I'd cry. Blush

I simply walked into Mordor.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 12 2014, 9:09pm

Post #6 of 15 (257 views)
Shortcut
If I'm right [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf might ask a further favor of Beorn--to check up on Bilbo and the Dwarves at Lonely Mountain. It has been asked why Beorn would travel to Erebor. This might provide an explanation for those posters.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Thranderz
Rohan

Feb 12 2014, 9:24pm

Post #7 of 15 (240 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought about that....great idea! Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Feb 12 2014, 11:09pm

Post #8 of 15 (234 views)
Shortcut
maybe it's not Gandalf in the cage..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't he at one point supposed to use a spell where he would make himself appear in multiple locations? I recall reading about that somewhere. Maybe prior to the three film decision. Perhaps the actual Gandalf is not trapped at all just his duplicate.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Feb 12 2014, 11:24pm

Post #9 of 15 (214 views)
Shortcut
I think that was for some activity book [In reply to] Can't Post

It was basically misinterpreted from an activity book that had no bearing on the film. He doesn't make multiple versions of himself.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 4:40am

Post #10 of 15 (186 views)
Shortcut
Battle of Dol Guldur? [In reply to] Can't Post

Will Gandalf's freeing be followed immediately by the 'Battle of Dol Guldur' with Galadriel, Saruman and all the bells and whistles? or will there be a break in-between these two events?

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Ilaras
The Shire

Feb 13 2014, 6:57am

Post #11 of 15 (152 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually hope this happens. I want some more meaning to his character in the films rather than 'oh there's that bear '

(This post was edited by Ilaras on Feb 13 2014, 6:58am)

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 9:59am

Post #12 of 15 (151 views)
Shortcut
I think it might be Thrain. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the WC will attack DG... in the chaos Thrain helps Gandal escapes who will join the WC and turn the tide against Sauron + Nazgul.

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 13 2014, 3:51pm

Post #13 of 15 (114 views)
Shortcut
I've wondered that myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Will Gandalf's freeing be followed immediately by the 'Battle of Dol Guldur' with Galadriel, Saruman and all the bells and whistles? or will there be a break in-between these two events?

That is one possibility. We might see the rescue of Gandalf before "Fire and Water" at Lake-town and save the assault of Dol Guldur until after. Of course, the White Council's attack is already coming quite late compared to when it would have taken place in the book. Move it too far back and Gandalf is going to have to arrive at Erebor by Eagle! I would rather not see him use the Windlord Express again.

Since there were scenes shot with Gandalf and Thrain, perhaps Jackson has Thorin's father still alive beneath Dol Guldur and it is Thrain who actually frees the Wizard. Or, could Thrain appear to Gandalf as a ghost?

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 8:13pm

Post #14 of 15 (80 views)
Shortcut
that's a really good point [In reply to] Can't Post

If they stretch out this subplot too long there would be an issue of how Gandy gets to the Lonely Mountain. I wonder if they will show him getting there ala showing him go through Mirkwood, Laketown, etc. etc. meeting all the other characters along the way.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 13 2014, 8:37pm

Post #15 of 15 (90 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf goes North [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that it is questionable now whether Gandalf is going to be able to reach Lake-town in time to travel to Erebor with the combined army of Elves and Men. Like in the animated film, he might reach the Mountain just ahead of the Orcs, just in time to warn the others of their approach. If so, we probably won't see him in Lake-town before the BoFA.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.