Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Lines from the book

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2014, 7:34am

Post #1 of 4 (373 views)
Shortcut
Lines from the book Can't Post

Has anyone here compiled a list of all of the lines/quotes that are directly from the book or altered versions of lines from the book? I tried to do this with the Lord of the Rings a long time ago, but I never ended up getting very far.

And I was just reminded of it when I was reading "Flies and Spiders" today. I'd forgotten that Beorn's "less wise and more dangerous" line was from the book (but not said by him). And Bilbo's lines about the rift between the elves and the dwarves in AUJ's prologue was very close to what Tolkien wrote in this chapter.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Feb 7 2014, 7:35am)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 10:08pm

Post #2 of 4 (106 views)
Shortcut
There's a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

I was re-reading some of the book yesterday. Smaug's conversation with Bilbo was even closer to the book than I thought! There's actually only a few areas of dialogue that were left out of the movie. I hope more of Bilbo's riddles are in the EE.

"Attempted burglary, or something of that ilk." in the book is simply, "Attempted burglary or something like it." and is in the same context as in the film. Thranduil figured that they weren't on a quest to slay a dragon but were simply on a treasure hunt. It's said by the narrator when the elves from Lake-town return to the Elvenking and he is thinking over the quest.

Something I don't understand is why they can't leave in some lines that would work very well in the context of the movie. For example, "Upon my word, Gandalf spoke true, as usual...a fine burglar it seems you've turned out to be," (that's not exact but close to the real quote) was changed to simply, "Well done Mr. Baggins." And there's nothing wrong with that but I just don't get it, why not use the iconic line from the book?

Anyway good thread. I'd like to see what others have come up with.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 11:09pm

Post #3 of 4 (91 views)
Shortcut
Yes I have [In reply to] Can't Post

here is the link for you enjoy!

http://newboards.theonering.net/...psed;guest=100463497

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2014, 6:56pm

Post #4 of 4 (39 views)
Shortcut
The line spoken by Gandalf about Beorn... [In reply to] Can't Post

..."He is under no enchantment but his own."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.