Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Oh man

burgahobbit
Rohan

Feb 7, 11:27pm

Views: 34
Shortcut
Oh man [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point...another problem is that somehow, after Gandalf tells Thorin they need a burglar, Thorin "asks him to find the fourteenth member of the company" and Gandalf has "chosen Mr. Baggins." Which means (to my ear) that according to AUJ, it was Thorin's idea that they needed someone else, which sparked Gandalf to think of Bilbo. In DOS it seems like Gandalf has the idea from the beginning.
I will try to reconcile all of the seeming inconsistencies as far as Gandalf's knowledge and plans go. First off, film Gandalf, although he is surprised when Radagast tells him about the spiders in Dol Guldur, does seem to have some idea that Sauron is returning. This is what I mean:

"He keeps a watch over the vast forest lands to the East, and a good thing too, for always evil will seek to set a foothold in this world." It sounds like he is worried that Sauron may come to Dol Guldur. "Smaug holds allegiance to no one, but if he were to side with the enemy, the dragon could be used to terrible effect." "It is also dangerous to do nothing." etc.

So since he is surprised by Radagast's news, I guess that means he was worried that Sauron was still out there, but he didn't know exactly when or where he would strike. Smaug in Erebor was a good guess.

Perhaps he meant to accompany Thorin to the Mountain in order to get Smaug out of the way, but he warned Thorin that he may be forced to leave him on the way. The conversation might have gone like this:

"I cannot pledge myself to this company; if my attention should be called to more urgent matters I will be forced to leave you immediately."

"Very well Gandalf, but...oh no; by my beard!" responds Thorin.

"What on earth is the matter?"

"I had counted on you being part of the company. If you should leave us, there will only be thirteen." Gandalf looks puzzled. "Fourteen is a lucky number, but thirteen is an ill omen to all."

Gandalf sighs and then replies, "Very well, I shall look for a fourteenth member for your company. Besides, I am not at all sure about this Nori character of yours anyway, he is not quite what I had in mind when I said that we needed a "burglar". I have an old friend, who if he is interested, will be a very valuable companion on this quest. Leave it up to me, I'll see that your thirteen members predicament is settled."

"Very good," says Thorin. "In the meantime I will talk to Warner Brothers about choosing another date to release film 2."

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Feb 7, 11:36pm)

Subject User Time
Gandalf leaving the company at the edge of Mirkwood macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Feb 5, 11:17pm
    confusing book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 5, 11:31pm
        I'll try to simplify it. macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Feb 5, 11:35pm
    one possibility.... Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Feb 5, 11:39pm
        The filming of the rabbit chase Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 6, 4:49am
        Radagast was always going to meet Gandalf at that point in AUJ MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Feb 6, 5:00am
            The' Hobbit Chronicle' books reveal the original sequence of events Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 6, 3:01pm
                and.... book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 6, 3:36pm
                    I would guess... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 6, 3:48pm
                        yep book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 6, 3:52pm
                            It was cool at first Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 6, 5:33pm
                                I'm curious to see how the Nazgul will be depicted..... Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Feb 6, 10:31pm
    More Confusion Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 5, 11:46pm
        Interesting point... Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Feb 6, 1:55am
            I'd disagree... arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 6, 2:33am
        Oh man burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Feb 7, 11:27pm
    My thoughts... arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 6, 2:39am
        There's not much wrong with this subplot IMO Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 6, 4:54am
    another possibility... Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Feb 6, 3:13am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.