Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Sure

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 5, 9:57pm

Views: 86
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But then he was Australian so what can you expect?

Yes, in a lot of anecdotal accounts it's "those other guys" doing the shooting, like Scots ordered to shoot retreating English, or English shooting Irish troops. British describe French officers shooting their own troops, Russians claim they saw Germans doing it, Germans claim they saw Russians doing it, Americans say they saw Italians doing it, and so on.

Also certain bombastic officers seem to have relished relating such incidents. For example, in "I Was There" Graham Seton Hutchison (aka The Mad Major) describes ordering the machine-gunning of an entire retreating British platoon at Meteren during the 1918 Spring Offensive. He also recounts other personal acts of mayhem against recalcitrant British soldiers.

Still, by one account it does seem to have been actually taught at Sandhurst as described by then Lieutenant GDJ McMurtrie of the 7th Somerset Light Infantry at Cambrai:

"I turned round to try and stop them all. Everyone wished to clear out, everyone was out for himself and his own preservation. It is extraordinary what one thinks of at such moments as these and it is marvellous what a difference one strong, brave man makes in situations such as this. I remembered a lecture that we had had at Sandhurst by a Staff Sergeant and he told us that if withdrawing the men tried to run away, then get out your revolver and threaten them and if that was not enough, shoot some of them. This was a similar situation, all the men had panicked and just commanding them was not enough. The place we had got to was quite a good place for making a stand and so I cocked my revolver and started threatening them with it. Immediately they turned around and faced the enemy and began firing away again. I saw Jenks [another Lieutenant] doing the same thing further down on the left."
-Private Papers of Lieutenant Colonel G D J McMurtrie, quoted in "Cambrai 1917: The Myth Of The First Great Tank Battle" by Bryn Hammond.

BTW, the Moor shootings are also recounted in "The Story Of The 29th Division. A Record Of Gallant Deeds" by Stair Gillon.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Feb 5, 10:08pm)

Subject User Time
J.R.R. Tolkien's World War One revolver on display at the Imperial War Museum News from Bree Send a private message to News from Bree Feb 1, 12:20am
    It's been a while since I've seen Indiana Jones, Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Feb 3, 3:48am
    That would not be of much use against a machine-gun Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Feb 4, 12:12am
        It worked against your own men, however squire Send a private message to squire Feb 4, 1:54am
            Fascinating!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Feb 4, 1:53pm
            I don't see how that can be right... FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Feb 4, 4:59pm
            Yes Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Feb 4, 10:30pm
                Very interesting Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Feb 5, 1:13am
                Well FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Feb 5, 12:15pm
                    Apparently one officer got a VC for it. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Feb 5, 3:45pm
                        Thanks Darkstone FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Feb 5, 5:16pm
                            Sure Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Feb 5, 9:57pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.