The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Screencap of the Day: The Phial of Galadriel

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 31 2014, 4:23pm

Post #1 of 7 (413 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: The Phial of Galadriel Can't Post

Extra bonus screencap today, the first is of Frodo holding the Phial in Shelob's cave, and the second is from FOTR when Galadriel first gives the Phial to him.

What were your thoughts on how the Phial was depicted?
Did it look special, magical? What did you think it was?

Do you think Galadriel saw images of Frodo in Shelob's cave in her mirror?

'And you, Ring-bearer,' she said, turning to Frodo. 'I come to you last who are not last in my thoughts. For you I have prepared this.' She held up a small crystal phial: it glittered as she moved it, and rays of white light sprang from her hand. 'In this phial,' she said, 'is caught the light of Earendil's star, set amid the waters of my fountain. It will shine still brighter when night is about you. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out. Remember Galadriel and her Mirror!'

Have a great weekend all! Thanks to all who posted or lurked Smile.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screencap of the Day is a place to post any thoughts or comments you have on a particular screencap. The above are just my thoughts on this one -- as always, anyone is welcome to share other observations and comments Smile!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 31 2014, 8:21pm

Post #2 of 7 (263 views)
Shortcut
Very magical! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember shortly after ROTK came out my non-book-reader sister asked how, exactly, Frodo had known how to activate it. I'm not sure I ever gave her a good answer to that one! Crazy

I like the size and shape of this in Frodo's hand. It's a very user-friendly shape, fits the hand, not so big that it slips out, but not so small that your hand obscures the light.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 31 2014, 8:58pm

Post #3 of 7 (281 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel Galadhrim and the Avocado Forest of Doom! [In reply to] Can't Post

Phairly phaithful.

Did it look special, magical?

Looked like a crystal avocado. The guacamole would look pretty, but you'd definitely have to add more spices!

What did you think it was?

The Holy Hand Grenade of Galadriel.

Do you think Galadriel saw images of Frodo in Shelob's cave in her mirrorI

More like in her mind, like Celeborn did with Gandalf ("I can no longer see him from afar."), since Celeborn doesn't have a mirror, nor does he need one, since he's not yet old enough to shave.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 1 2014, 2:17pm

Post #4 of 7 (241 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts on the matter [In reply to] Can't Post

The Phial was, in my opinion, very nicely depicted. It does come off as something magical, but nothing over the top, which I like. It strikes with its simple beauty. Liquid light, that's what it is!

She very well might have. Or maybe she simply saw it in her mind's eye. I believe it could have been either way.

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

Nira
Lorien

Feb 3 2014, 4:02am

Post #5 of 7 (203 views)
Shortcut
I thought it lovely and magical, but [In reply to] Can't Post

from first viewing I couldn't help but notice the little bubbles on the inside wall of the phial. I guess I'm easily distracted.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

willowing
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 12:46am

Post #6 of 7 (211 views)
Shortcut
SCOD-Phial of Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

The phial was small, light and compact, an object of special significance that could be carried on long journeys without weighing the travellers down. Beautiful to behold. .

Did it look special, magical? What did you think it was?

It did look special yes, due to the quality of the glass and the properties captured inside the phial. In the words of Galadriel "it will shine brighter when night is about you". Much better than rubbing a magic lamp and out pops a genie.

On first glance I thought it resembled a perfume bottle.

Yes, I go this way because she saw the fellowship of eight in the forest before they reached Lothlorien and Frodo's fate was constantly in Galdriel's thoughts.

SaulComposer
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 11:08pm

Post #7 of 7 (166 views)
Shortcut
Nail Salons [In reply to] Can't Post

These elves sure did have some serious nail salons…hehe

http://www.sauldzorelashvili.com/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.