The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Glorfindel vs Galadriel

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 27 2014, 7:15pm

Post #1 of 7 (2428 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel vs Galadriel Can't Post

One took down a Balrog on his own. The other laid low an entire fortress. Who would win a duel between them?
I seriously cannot decide here, although if I had to say either way I'd put my money on Galadriel....but it's a toughie and would certainly make for an interesting watch.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

demnation
Rohan

Feb 2 2014, 6:06am

Post #2 of 7 (2159 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

She does have one of the three rings, after all.

Padster
Bree

Feb 2 2014, 11:51am

Post #3 of 7 (2151 views)
Shortcut
Tough One [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it hard to consider it a fair fight if you allow Galadriel to maintain Nenya. With her Ring it's also hard to think of Glorfindel winning.

Before getting Nenya, Galadriel was the third greatest of the Eldar, after Feanor and Elwe. This must include Glorfindel, and as there are others one might put between Galadriel and Glorfindel, then one has to assume that Galadriel could take Glorfindel. It is remarked that she measured up to the men in athletics in Valinor (can't remember where - Unfinshed Tales I think).

But what about after Glorfidnel's reincarnation? So much mud in the water!!

There are combinations here that one must consider. Here is how I see it:

Code
First Age   = Galadriel 
Second Age = Glorfindel
Third Age = Glorfindel

Add the ring back in and Galadriel wins whatever.

Cheers

Padster

Nerven
Rivendell

Feb 2 2014, 1:13pm

Post #4 of 7 (2192 views)
Shortcut

I think Galadriel would win, afterall she is said to be the greatest of the Eldar only Luthien being greater and with Feanor it is a tie, at least it is said that the was equal to Feaonr, and knowing what special Elf feanor was, that is remarable.

In ME it was said that Galadriel was the mightiest and greatest (two different quotes) of the surviving Eldar and that she was unconquerable is resistance, especially in mind and spirit. So Glorfindel could fight her all day, she would still be unconquerable.

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Feb 25 2014, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 7 (2102 views)
Shortcut
Quite Right - Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

It was said that she was born during the Noontide of the Two Trees - the greatest time, during the Bliss of Valinor. And she was compared as equal with her cousin Feanor and add her ring, that she captured the light of Feanor's Simaril (via Earendil) in the phial that she gave to Frodo and that she survived the Grinding Ice - it would be her. . . Wink

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 13 2014, 12:48pm

Post #6 of 7 (2066 views)
Shortcut
I'd give it to Galadriel, but [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but it's a toughie and would certainly make for an interesting watch.

Absolutely, this would be one legendary contest and one that I would be sure to stock many buckets of popcorn for Cool.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Mar 18 2014, 5:31am

Post #7 of 7 (2141 views)
Shortcut

Not only are there numerous quotes on how Galadriel is the greatest Elf, that only Feanor - with a MAYBE - potentially greater, but she is also wiser. Not to mention that she had direct tutelege of Melian, the Maia.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.