Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Reports keep rolling in ...

Elven
Valinor

Feb 6 2008, 6:14pm

Views: 50
Shortcut
The Reports keep rolling in ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Feb 7th 08

Yet it is clear that there is an underlying factor presently which prevents the confirmation of Del Toro Directing the Hobbit, other wise we would have news now.

Some say the writers strike is the cause. Though I feel that there are other considerations which may well be effecting this decision as I mentioned earlier last month when the announcement was made, and I still believe that even if this comes about (Del Toro Directing the Hobbit), then there maybe a few complications further down the line, which may even see him leave the project at some stage....

Im not certain of factors - but I do include money in amongst the list - and
moving to a new home and placement for the years he must spend working on the film = relocation basically.
What he has to give up - other projects and the timing and schedules over the next 8 years ...

Another thought I had today which I posted about elsewhere; was the monitoring the reaction of fans and the interest generated by the news. So far, I see it as being a fairly cordial response, considering we are talking about 2 of the greatest Directors (IMHO) around ... and we are talking about one of the most well read books ... following on the tails of LOTR ..
But overall I think the response has been positive, yet this dragging the tail for an announcement might dampen the day a Director IS confirmed. Thinking (way too much here Wink) .. response may be also be monitored for investment purposes as well ... it would give some indication - especially confidence about expectations of how the movie will be received, what sort of promotional tools will be needed in advance to get this not just off the ground, but flying high - much of this can be done before the movie /s are released, but it is a build up of momentum ... and it has to be spot on to bring the money back into the pockets of the investors ... and possibly sealed so tightly (as to lawsuits) that lessens the risks of money going out, and money coming back in for the studios. Shaye mentioned last year that he had a new focus on Publicity and Relations ... maybe this is part of an overall strategy, or if not, maybe they should use what they can gleen at the moment to project how things might fare.

Speaking of confirmations ...
I found this also on www.detoromovies.com

It was posted a couple of days ago - so nothing new, but I found it interesting ...

UPDATE (1-FEB-2008)
From an email from GDT:
The Hobbit is not a certainty yet. We are in advanced talks but nothing
100% sure. I feel privileged to be approached but we all know -from
the lists of announcements in the trades- that we must wait until a
movie is green lit to make it a reality. Remember, the morning that
HELLBOY II was greenlit, I was finishing talks to do the WOLF MAN at
the same studio and one cancelled the other... That's how crazy it can
get."

Best

GDT

I think that response is also very much why the Hobbit cannot be confirmed, regardless of the writers strike.
There are other things at play which need sorting, and to me, if I had to move for such a length of time - relocate - give up other opportunities - I think I'd want a very big carrot dangling in my face in the way of recompense $$$$ to consider somthing as big as that too, let alone for my skills and position in the industry ... but to shoulder such responsibility must be also considered ... it would be a huge commitment, which ever way its looked at.

Just some thoughts

Cheers Elven

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

(This post was edited by Elven on Feb 6 2008, 6:16pm)

Subject User Time
'What Say You' - The Hobbit Movie Reports ~ Rumours & Rumblings ~ Del Toro WILL Direct The Hobbit ~ Jan 08 Elven Send a private message to Elven Jan 30 2008, 3:08am
    A post by Compa Mighty ... Elven Send a private message to Elven Jan 30 2008, 3:26am
    Answers... Patty Send a private message to Patty Jan 30 2008, 3:35am
        You're not alone .there .. Elven Send a private message to Elven Jan 30 2008, 12:52pm
    I am still hopeful, but this wasn't what I expected MorrsMinor1000 Send a private message to MorrsMinor1000 Jan 30 2008, 3:57am
        OH HAPPY FRABJOUS DAY!!!!! ShadoFaxs Send a private message to ShadoFaxs Jan 30 2008, 4:55am
            Guillermo and PJ ShadoFaxs Send a private message to ShadoFaxs Jan 30 2008, 5:48am
            What a response! :D Elven Send a private message to Elven Jan 30 2008, 12:42pm
        Maybe though ... Elven Send a private message to Elven Jan 30 2008, 1:00pm
    Oh boy..where do I start? Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower Jan 31 2008, 12:53am
    I'm glad you found the translations useful! Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty Jan 31 2008, 9:51pm
    excellent news HUORN Send a private message to HUORN Feb 1 2008, 3:40pm
    The Reports keep rolling in ... Elven Send a private message to Elven Feb 6 2008, 6:14pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.