The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Screencap of the Day: Faces of War

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2014, 2:15am

Post #1 of 4 (394 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: Faces of War Can't Post

I've decided to try and present you with a slightly different view of an episode in the movie we all know so well.

Do we see the faces of war or rather the face of war as it truly is? Do you think we are given an opportunity to see another side of the otherwise epic and even enjoyable action of the battles? A side where there is sadness and pain on both sides, may be there is a realization of its price or the possible ending? I know I refer these moments to Faramir's talking about the Southern soldier's unknown name, about his probable life away from the bloody paths he had taken. What do you think about these two shots?

Any other thoughts are, of course, welcome. Thank you for participating.

You can find the bigger pictures here:
http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk1287.htm
http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk1288.htm

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

(This post was edited by simplyaven on Jan 23 2014, 2:16am)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 27 2014, 4:27pm

Post #2 of 4 (182 views)
Shortcut
I wondered about the Men who followed Saruman and Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

It seemed clear enough to me that Orcs were inherently depraved enough for me to understand their following Sauron or Saruman. But I was a bit puzzled by the various Men who appeared at times throughout the story to lend a hand to that side. I recall a scene - I don't remember which of the three films, but I think it was in an EE - where a wild-looking Man appears before Saruman and proclaims dramatically, "We will die for Saruman!' and it really raised a little thought bubble over my head "???" :-) because I didn't know who this Men or group of people were that they would be willing to do that. I think there was a promise somewhere of lands being returned to them (perhaps I'm mixing up my scenes), but in any event, I guess overall the question is whether Men like these doing the fighting have come because they want to be there or because they're forced to be there. These are two good screencaps to reflect on in that respect, and a new take on a screencap that is usually just discussed in light of the cameos. Nice choices SA :-).

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2014, 4:55pm

Post #3 of 4 (177 views)
Shortcut
My recollection also... [In reply to] Can't Post

The wild looking Men who fought for Saruman were said by him to have lost their lands to the Men of Rohan, so that Saruman was exploiting a grievance/disunity that existed between these two groups.

This sort of explanation is not offered for the Men who served Sauron, but the possibility that they had some reasonable motivation we could understand is thrown out as an option by Faramir's speech about the dead soldier in TTT.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2014, 7:24pm

Post #4 of 4 (195 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, and these men were in the books, although as far as I remember, and it's been a few years since I re-read the LOTR, the exact events were different. However, Saruman did attract the mountain men to fight for him. I hope this helps: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Dunlendings

To me Saruman possessed the power of convincing people or orcs or anyone else to do what he wanted them to do. I think Gandalf supported this when he warned the group in the beginning of ROTK to not trust Saruman (or his words). Also, in Fangorn Aragorn warned Legolas and Gimli to be quick because the White Wizard will put a spell on them. At the time they though it was Saruman approaching. I take all this as a proof that Saruman was known for his sweet talking and being a master of negotiation... As about Sauron, my guess would be that he was frightful enough to force those men into service. I somehow don't imagine the Nazgul negotiating but the history behind all this is unknown to me.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Loresilme. I'm glad you liked the shots.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.