Fanmade THE HOBBIT STAGE PLAY

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jan 21 2014, 7:13pm

Post #1 of 1 (187 views)
Shortcut
Fanmade THE HOBBIT STAGE PLAY Can't Post

Hi guys,

perhaps some of you remember that I posted a few links about a Hobbit childrens play I directed one and a half years ago. Our premiere was just a couple of days before the Wellington premiere of AUJ in late November 2012. Here is the original thread I made: http://newboards.theonering.net/...orum.cgi?post=517453

The play itself was a great success for our little theater group. We had six performances on two weekends and about 1.200 viewers. It was rated by the local press as the best christmas play of this theater group (they do it since 1989) and we all had a lot of fun and went watching AUJ together in our local cinema (and reunited for watching DOS last year). I had to cut a lot (no spiders, no wargs, no Laketown, no Bo5A), combined a few things (Elrond+Thranduil, Trolls+Goblins) and added a few things (little Frodo and friends, Bilbo killing Smaug, no battle but a discussion about sharing is better than keeping...) but in the end the whole play was about 90 minutes long and the essence of Tolkiens work was still there... Well actually we were a kind of PR for AUJ in our town because a lot of our audience wouldn't have watched AUJ without us... so you're welcome Peter :P

One funny thing was: There were a few similarities between the changes Peter and I made. For example Azog. For my version I combined book-Azog the Defiler and book-Great Goblin to created a character called Azog the Great. Just like in the movie his role was much bigger than in the book... but when I wrote the script in January 2012 I had no idea that movie-Azog was going to be the main villain in AUJ. I think even Peter didn't know that at this point ;-) We also had a moth or a butterfly during one of our performances... it was very unexpected because it was winter and very cold outside nobody was expecting a butterfly. And what did that funny little animal do? The butterfly was flying towards Gandalf and was sitting on his beard while he was talking to Galadriel. A magical but unexpected moment! Perhaps a sign? Did he watched LOTR? Why did he choose Gandalf and not one of the Dwarves?

And just like Peter I made a few vlogs before the play was out. Only the fourth wasn't posted here before but just in case you are interested in all of them... here they are:

Making of The Hobbit Part One: First rehearsal, hopes of the cast and crew, start of production

Making of The Hobbit Part Two: Costume Design, Construction Management, Make Up

Making of The Hobbit Part Three: End of rehearsal block 2 of 3, Music, rehearsal weekend

NEW: Making of The Hobbit Part Four: The premiere, the technicians, end of production, conclusion

THEY'RE ALL IN GERMAN but I hope that even the non-German speakers of you will recognize the characters and sets we re-created for our childrens play. Thanks for watching and please leave a comment :-)

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Jan 21 2014, 7:20pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.