First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 29 2014, 3:53am

Post #76 of 82 (244 views)
Shortcut
Yes - its very effective, and surprising too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Seeing Aldarion through Gil-galad's eyes is quite a shock, isn't it? I found that quite affecting: we've been invited to see Aldarion as having been neglectful of his various princely and familial responsibilities (and there's certainly justification for that). We suddenly get a view of him as a useful ally and statesman with more in his head than his own 'Prince Hal the Sailor' pleasures at heart - a position that I think he ended up in, though I don't think that is at all how it started out. (I think he was going to build and sail ships whatever).
Not JRRT's style through the rest of the works. I'm trying to think of more. There is Dernhelm's reveal...do we get materially surprised anywhere else?

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 29 2014, 4:34am

Post #77 of 82 (240 views)
Shortcut
Time and tropes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

[I'm very interested in tropes of late, but hope not to become boring about it...] Well, you can always chat with yourself about it and become an autotrop(h)e. Laugh

So it is easy enough to see the "fair", long-lived characters as being those JRRT himself favours...
(which, I agree with you, does seem a bit objectionable) but..
Doesn't the awful Ring give you long life but no satisfaction in it ?
I think the Ring gives what he refers to as serial existence: not the same as life...and something not to be envied, in his mind, as he clearly makes it part of the closest to Absolute Evil as the muscle, so to speak.

And the Curse of Immortality is also an ongoing theme in Tolkien- whether Ring-induced, or an occupational hazard of being an elf (an Numenorean also, judging from Erendis' speech about how they fritter-away their long lives on Internet forums...)
And, didn't some say it is all about what we do with the time that is given us? I'd like to believe that, anyway.
I think he was trying to sell us, the reader, a rough bill of goods: acceptance, with happiness, of the mortal lot in life. To elevate the mortal above the human dream of the Immortal and to enfold in it the ideas of humility and undisclosed joy. How to do it: make the Immortal a curse. But his lightness of touch, I think, is commendable. We don't get the agonizing, brooding speeches of the trope as we have in the modern take on Cursed Immortality. We get it wrapped in light and beauty instead, and as a faint whisper in our own heritage. Erendis seems a bit time-obsessed. Superficially: she won't live as long, and her fertility will end sooner than her husbands. But again that 'what to do with the time given to us...' in worrying about the time lost, she, in short loses all of it.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 29 2014, 4:35am)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 29 2014, 10:57am

Post #78 of 82 (235 views)
Shortcut
Leaf by Niggle? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not JRRT's style through the rest of the works. I'm trying to think of more.

Niggle appears first of all to be a selfish loser wasting his time on a pointless activity, but we find out later that the work he was doing (and that everyone else devalued) had a greater purpose and life of its own. I think there are a lot of parallels there with Aldarion. And (since LbN is so clearly autobiographical), that does make me think that there's something autobiographical about Aldarion too.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 29 2014, 11:11am

Post #79 of 82 (246 views)
Shortcut
Ah but... [In reply to] Can't Post

My reading is that the tussle over control is a big issue. A's long absences are naturally a problem - but almost worse is that he seems to be able to call the shots of when he plans to come back. ...

What if A were actually a desk-bound writer instead of a mariner, as you suggest? ... I suppose if A is a self-absorbed writer, then at least E can bang on the Study door until A ... comes out to do his fatherly/husbandly/neighbourly duties... That way, it wouldn't be that there's nothing at all she can do to get him if she wants him (which I read as a big part of what annoys her).

...What if a big part of what annoys this fictional wife is that her husband spends inordinate amounts of time discussing his writing with his literary cronies at the Bird and Baby?

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jan 29 2014, 12:13pm

Post #80 of 82 (237 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he might have no inkling how annoying that might be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...What if a big part of what annoys this fictional wife is that her husband spends inordinate amounts of time discussing his writing with his literary cronies at the Bird and Baby?

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 29 2014, 4:57pm

Post #81 of 82 (230 views)
Shortcut
Nice catch, FarFromHome [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Not JRRT's style through the rest of the works. I'm trying to think of more.

Niggle appears first of all to be a selfish loser wasting his time on a pointless activity, but we find out later that the work he was doing (and that everyone else devalued) had a greater purpose and life of its own. I think there are a lot of parallels there with Aldarion. And (since LbN is so clearly autobiographical), that does make me think that there's something autobiographical about Aldarion too.

Very good point, its a very slow sort of reveal but we get that insight at the end in Leaf. Very interesting concept you bring up here, the possible authorial insert with Aldarion. I've said before that I often feel the Hero expresses the best in the author (as seen by him/herself). In this case we get a mixed bag, like in Leaf: Aldarion is far-seeing and has the mariner's soul...yet he is far from perfect. Yet none of his flaws are 'evil'. I can see this being a projection...conscious or not?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jan 29 2014, 5:19pm

Post #82 of 82 (260 views)
Shortcut
However, in the end... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Tolkiens moved to Bournmouth - no Inklings but some sheep-equivalents for Edith?

Those friends who knew Ronald and Edith Tolkien over the years never doubted that there was deep affection between them. It was visible in the small things, the almost absurd degree in which each worried about the other's health, and the care in which they chose and wrapped each other's birthday presents'; and in the large matters, the way in which Ronald willingly abandoned such a large part of his life in retirement to give Edith the last years in Bournemouth that he felt she deserved, and the degree in which she showed pride in his fame as an author. A principal source of happiness to them was their shared love of their family. This bound them together until the end of their lives, and it was perhaps the strongest force in the marriage. They delighted to discuss and mull over every detail of the lives of their children, and later their grandchildren.

Humphrey Carpenter, "Tolkien: The Authorized Biography," page 158. (my italics)

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.