Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What is your favorite cartoon movie based on Middle Earth

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 19 2014, 7:23am

Post #1 of 23 (229 views)
Shortcut
What is your favorite cartoon movie based on Middle Earth Can't Post

I've seen them all recently, and I was curious what others think on the animations. The Hobbit is easily my favortie, with ROTK probably in second and the songs on those two are also better. For what ever reason I am just not too crazy about The Lord of the Rings 1978. None of the movies are pieces of art, and have room for much improvement, but LOTR animation is just cringe worthy to me. Hate the animation.

If these titles were given a green light for a new animation film do you have a company in mind to give it a whirl? What would or wouldn't you want?

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 5: Elves)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=704543;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 19 2014, 10:37am

Post #2 of 23 (158 views)
Shortcut
I suppose I like 'The Hobbit" best of the three. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ralph Bakshi gets an "A" for effort, though.

I think I would like to see Studio Ghibli take a shot at The Hobbit, especially if Hayao Miyazaki could be tempted to come out of retirement to direct.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Jan 20 2014, 1:00am

Post #3 of 23 (144 views)
Shortcut
Does Lord of the Beans count? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just had to ask!Wink

Faithful servant, yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 2:03am

Post #4 of 23 (135 views)
Shortcut
I just looked this up and it sounds awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

do you have a link to watch it online?

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=704543;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 2:40am

Post #5 of 23 (137 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

No question It's the Rankin/Bass The Hobbit, no it's not perfect but understandable why it is the way it is. if they had made it two hours long maybe two and a half I think it would have been better even though they didn't do the Ring right and Bard looks so 70s lol, I love this version it was a heavy influence on my own Hobbit story and "The greatest Adventure" is a great song

Bakshi's Lord Of The Rings was a good try but it's only half the story if they were allowed to follow it up with part 2 I think maybe people would think better of it But it's just a long long slow movie it feels longer then the extended edition of ROTK. it needed a better understanding of Tolkien and better writing lol

Rankin/Bass Return Of The King I actually never saw it until last year I bought it for 5 dollars online just to complete my Tolkien cartoon trilogy. it's...interesting to say the least I really really wish they hadn't made it into a musical though. it too is slow and mind numbing and sometimes you ask yourself "what the heck is going on?" for some reason Mount Doom erupts and scared Théoden's horse and that's how he gets crushed by the horse lol Eowyn battles Skeletor I mean The Witch-King the dialogue is straight from the book but Witch-King's appearance and voice really messes it up I don't know about this one lol some of the songs are good though.

so yeah my favorite is definitely The Hobbit I want to share this video I made where I set the song from the cartoon to scenes from AUJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7KCW8e_PEg

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 23 2014, 6:59pm)

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 3:20am

Post #6 of 23 (122 views)
Shortcut
Oh, awesome video [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it a lot. Are you still planning on making a follow up one with DoS? Some of the music from ROTK cartoon has really stuck with me too. "When there's a whip there's a way", and "Frodo of the Nine Fingers" especially.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 3:34am

Post #7 of 23 (118 views)
Shortcut
Yes I am [In reply to] Can't Post

I was actually gonna re do the video after TABA comes out on DVD so I could get the whole story on there. but I am making music videos for each film AUJ will have "Song Of The Lonely Mountain" on it and DOS will have "I See Fire"

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 3:36am

Post #8 of 23 (116 views)
Shortcut
Neat, neat [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to them then.

acheron
Gondor

Jan 20 2014, 3:59am

Post #9 of 23 (123 views)
Shortcut
you already have [In reply to] Can't Post

Topcraft Studio, which did the animation for Rankin-Bass including The Hobbit, became Studio Ghibli in 1985.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 20 2014, 6:50am

Post #10 of 23 (118 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Rankin Bass' version of The Hobbit was my introduction to Tolkien. It's what caused me to fall in love with his work and with the fantasy genre. I love the character designs and the catchy songs. Some of the voice acting is excellent, especially John Huston as Gandalf and Brother Theodore as Gollum. Could have done without the Elvenking's German accent or Bard's very wooden acting but otherwise I think it's a great adaptation.

demnation
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 12:30pm

Post #11 of 23 (112 views)
Shortcut
All on the good side of terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

I find Ranking-Bass a bit cringe worthy. (A shame, since all of their Christmas specials are wonderful.) Bakshi's LOTR gets an A for effort, at least. I was almost moved to tears by an interview with him where he talks about his love of the book and his frustration at being stonewalled by the studio when making the film. The LOTR we ended up with is obviously not the film he wanted to make.

Pazeer
Rivendell

Jan 20 2014, 1:53pm

Post #12 of 23 (104 views)
Shortcut
I quite [In reply to] Can't Post

like them all actually!
They are pretty old cartoons, but pretty cool nonetheless!
I remember buying the LOTR-Bakshi version after watching Fellowship, and I was really disappointed that they never finished it...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 2:32pm

Post #13 of 23 (102 views)
Shortcut
Fair point, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Topcraft Studio, which did the animation for Rankin-Bass including The Hobbit, became Studio Ghibli in 1985.

There is a big diffence between a made-for-television special produced on a network budget and aimed at U.S. augdiences and a large-budget feature film primarily intended for a domestic (Japanese) viewership; especially if the latter is written and directed by an anime legend.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2014, 3:25pm

Post #14 of 23 (100 views)
Shortcut
*hand shoots up* My vote, too!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

swampwizard

Jan 20 2014, 3:38pm

Post #15 of 23 (102 views)
Shortcut
Bakshi's film? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello everybody, This is my first post. Bakshi's film started out fine but he went over budget and then went downhill from there. He started out with the right idea.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 10:55pm

Post #16 of 23 (84 views)
Shortcut
and the Wood-Elves in general [In reply to] Can't Post

The wood-elves look so different from the Rivendell elves they look almost Goblin like, I've heard a lot of people ask what Tolkien would have thought about Jackson's Middle-Earth movies. But I would like to know what he would have thought about these animated ones.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 21 2014, 10:15am

Post #17 of 23 (69 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcome swampwizard :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You know what!? I really do love the Bakshi film. Even though it's incomplete and has challenges, it was the only Tolkien thing out there for so many years that it is such a treasure to me. I saw it when it came out at the theatres, and it was fantastic! Yeah... as a reader since 1971, I did cringe at several mis-steps, but the love and honour of Tolkien's work is definitely there. I really wish they could have finished it.

John Hurt's voice as Aragorn still gives me chills.

I'm so glad you're here, swampwizard! This is a great place to hang out and enjoy all things Tolkien :D *high five*

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

swampwizard

Jan 21 2014, 1:13pm

Post #18 of 23 (71 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Grammaboodawg, I did not know that was John Hurts voice. I'd only read LOTR's in 1970 and was really waiting for this film. Thanks for the welcome and looking forward to hanging out.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 21 2014, 1:30pm

Post #19 of 23 (65 views)
Shortcut
Gives me chills because I hear Caligula! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

John Hurt's voice as Aragorn still gives me chills.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

acheron
Gondor

Jan 21 2014, 3:17pm

Post #20 of 23 (63 views)
Shortcut
oh, very true [In reply to] Can't Post

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek there. Wink

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

swampwizard

Jan 22 2014, 1:10am

Post #21 of 23 (53 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien would think............ [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Barrow-Wight, You know that is a good question. It the last 120 years technology has grown so much and you have to admit writer's are writing new and different worlds well, I think first he would be blown awayed but I don't think he would stay that way.

Nolane
Bree

Jan 23 2014, 10:01pm

Post #22 of 23 (34 views)
Shortcut
The 1978 Ralph Bakshi version is the best by far... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved this movie as a kid and it got me into reading Tolkien. I have it on DVD, and it still holds up rather well. Of course it is more like "cliff notes" compared to the brilliant Peter Jackson movies, but it is still very entertaining. I actually like the way the black riders are portrayed better in the Bakshi version, then in the Peter Jackson movies, as they are far more creepy.

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Jan 24 2014, 1:35pm

Post #23 of 23 (40 views)
Shortcut
No, but I am sure you can find it on Youtube [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about thatFrown For all of you that do not recognize the title The Lord of the Beans is a Veggietales spoof on The Lord of the Rings. The fellowship is composed of vegetables, the Keebler elf makes an appearance, the orcs become sporks, and ahem takes the place of Gollum. All I can say is that it is absolutely hilarious and that I recommend that everyone watch it just for fun.

Faithful servant, yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.