Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Was Legolas trying to kill Tauriel or something?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 19 2014, 12:30am

Post #26 of 31 (164 views)
Shortcut
Was Arwen trying to kill Aragorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because she actually held the tip of her sword to his neck in order to make the same point; he wasn't paying attention and there were dangerous things about. If she'd been a Nazgul, he might be dead.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 19 2014, 3:17am

Post #27 of 31 (127 views)
Shortcut
I is all about forshadowing [In reply to] Can't Post

...so in five years time when we all have our six movie boxed set and forget a lot of this stuff we have aha moments, when themes re-occur.

Bishop
Rohan

Jan 19 2014, 4:21am

Post #28 of 31 (137 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

probably could have made the same point without having his weapon drawn.

On the parallels between trilogies, some things work better than others. Themes such as the power the ring has over its bearer work well (visually and musically). But I was never that crazy about how overt some of the moments are. Some of the worst of the bunch are angry shadow-causing Gandalf at Bag End (the LOTR version being far superior), Gollum only knowing one song, flying rings landing accidentally on fingers, and glowing healing Elves using virtually the same words with the same music cue.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2014, 6:34am

Post #29 of 31 (122 views)
Shortcut
To me [In reply to] Can't Post

The ones you list as the "worst" are the best. They are all the way the Middle Earth movieverse works. (Actually, the Gollum example is an example of consistent characterization in my view. It is also an example of putting a Hobbit thing into LotR rather than the opposite - some of the words of the fish song come from a book riddle from the Hobbit that was omitted from the film, except in those song lyrics).

Gandalf is able to assert his authority by making himself appear taller and shadowed, as he does in both scenes. (Possibly, what for some odd reason fans call "nuclear Galadriel" in FotR is a third example of this movieverse ability being used by a character who has it). We also see wizards use Quenya to command things to happen in both series of films (Saruman and Gandalf contending on Caradhras, Radagast healing Sebastian in AUJ, and Gandalf breaking Sauron's concelament spell in DoS). And, we see Gandalf light his staff in most of the films...

The flying ring is not actually a feature of ALL rings - it is something the One Ring does. I never took this to be accidental, myself. In addition to "accidentally" falling onto fingers, it "accidentally" falls off them, too (as in Isildur's death in the FotR EE).

Elves, when healing someone, can appear to shine to their patients, and may use similar words.

Bishop
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 1:40am

Post #30 of 31 (72 views)
Shortcut
Your ideas make sense [In reply to] Can't Post

But I often feel that important dramatic moments are lessened if the repeat is not as powerful. Gandalf is a good example. His becoming angry in Fellowship is described like this. Bilbo is going for his sword, in desperation over parting with the ring:

Gandalf's eyes flashed. "It will be my turn to get angry soon", he said. "If you say that again, I shall. Then you shall see Gandalf the grey uncloaked". He took a step toward the Hobbit, and he seemed to grow tall and menacing; his shadow filled the room.

He is nowhere near the level of anger or needing to threaten this kind of power in the Hobbit, just because the Dwarves are arguing. In comparison the description in the Hobbit is "he scowled". There is no shadow, no growing, nothing.

Some will see it as solid character building. My opinion is that Jackson is just reminding us of some of the memorable moments in LOTR, but not because they are absolutely necessary. For example, the moth at the end of AUJ. Why and how does it make any sense that the moth can retrieve the Eagles in literally 5 minutes? He doesn't care about the logic of this moment. He is giving the audience something they will remember was a cool scene in LOTR, complete with the same music cue.

(This post was edited by Bishop on Jan 20 2014, 1:43am)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2014, 9:50am

Post #31 of 31 (59 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree - unnecessary tying-in... [In reply to] Can't Post

We keep being told TH is not LotR, blah, blah.... yet PJ has gone out of his way to put in as many "echoes" of LotR as he can force, instead of allowing a more gentle, natural connection with familiar locations and returning characters, etc.

it really is all about marketing and appealing to the widest audience demographic...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.