Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Screencap of the Day: Black Riders on Wings!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 9:24pm

Post #1 of 17 (829 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: Black Riders on Wings! Can't Post

You can find the full-size 'cap HERE.

I chose this screencap out of all the different siege 'caps because I really liked the mash-up of CGI and real elements that are used throughout the siege.

No questions today. Just give us your thoughts. Smile

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Elutherian
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 11:21pm

Post #2 of 17 (651 views)
Shortcut
One of the most memorable moments from the film for me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... After seeing it in the theater anyways, was the image of the Nazgul descending on Minas Tirith. It was beyond epic.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 11:26pm

Post #3 of 17 (662 views)
Shortcut
Didn't work [In reply to] Can't Post

for me actually. I've always found the Wraiths on horses far more creepy. Don't know why, considering I love horses and am a long time horseback rider... Or may be because of that when I saw the horses with the wounds it really gave me the shivers... Yes, I guess because of that, because of what had been done to the horses and what they had been turned into... On the flying beasts the Wraiths just lost this impact for me. Otherwise the artistic and technical work was magnificent during the whole siege, in my opinion.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 17 (615 views)
Shortcut
I thought they looked awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

but the overall direction of the Nazgul was not done well. Weather they were on horses or Fell beasts they always looked epic though. The creepy feel in the first film faded as soon as Aragorn repelled them all at ease, so they made no sense when they returned and were even able to break Gandalf's staff. I did not like some of the decisions done with these guys, but the look of them on wings is undeniably cool looking.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 5: Elves)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=704543;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 18 2014, 5:42pm

Post #5 of 17 (619 views)
Shortcut
What I noticed watching this on the bigscreen [In reply to] Can't Post

was that the flying looked real. After 20 years in aviation, I notice when CGI or models don't "fly" realistically. I suspect the animators studied films of large birds in flight to guide them as they created the movements of the fell beasts in the air.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 18 2014, 5:45pm

Post #6 of 17 (621 views)
Shortcut
I just remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

everybody in the cinema ducking as the Nazgul first swoop over. The sound system really made it sound like they were swooping down on the auditorium from behind! I too like the composition of the different elements and thought they looked pretty cool. The score was also amazing here. My only slight complaint was that the Fell Beasts picked up so many Gondorian soldiers from the wall, dropping them to their deaths, that there wouldn't have been many left- a bit of typical PJ I guess!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 8:09pm

Post #7 of 17 (617 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of picking up Gondorian soldiers [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's an interesting post title...

I always look out for the soldier who is grabbed and dropped, and then kind of bounces off a roof below. It's a bit yucky but I can't help looking out for that moment.

Annatar598
Rohan

Jan 19 2014, 12:43pm

Post #8 of 17 (593 views)
Shortcut
I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

It has something to do with the fact that the wraiths on horses is more grounded than wraiths on wings. The closeness is there and so is the heightened sense of fear. And worse than Nazgul on horses would be Nazgul on foot!

Although I find that around ROTK, the Nazgul felt a little cartoony. The Witch king even on foot wasn't as scary as the first black rider or even the group that assembled on weathertop. Maybe it's the lighting or whatever.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2014, 1:44am

Post #9 of 17 (555 views)
Shortcut
True! [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree. And to me the most frightening were the scenec in FOTR. Also, when the wraith was asking for "Beggins" on the way to the Shire or the chase of the hobbits to the bridge in the woods... Brrr. still gives me the shivers. I'm with you, in ROTK I found them very much cartoon - like. Even Wiki's lines sounded a bit over dramatic to me. Deaaaath, die nowwww. LOL

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Annatar598
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 2:13am

Post #10 of 17 (571 views)
Shortcut
Haha the WK wasn't scary at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I love what we got and it's the greates battle ever made. But as fan fic I would add a scene of the nazguls dismounting from the fell beasts at night and terrorizing the streets of Mina's Tirith. This could highlight the citizens of the city and their part in the war.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2014, 5:21pm

Post #11 of 17 (537 views)
Shortcut
It was this moment [In reply to] Can't Post

that I remember they showcased at the Oscars for one the RotK's nominations (unless I'm remembering wrong). This was before I'd even seen the movies. I had probably just finished reading The Hobbit at the time. Tongue

It's one of those shots I remember making me think "Wow, what's this all about?" Laugh

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 20 2014, 9:44pm

Post #12 of 17 (530 views)
Shortcut
Very evocative. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's what you call an A-10 moment:

Pure awesomeness!

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 20 2014, 9:55pm

Post #13 of 17 (526 views)
Shortcut
Stuka & A-10 [In reply to] Can't Post

In WW2, a Stuka pilot named Hans Rudel flew more combat missions than anyone ever, over 2,000 IIRC, and he survived the war. In the 1970s the Fairchild company was designing the A-10 for the same mission that the Stuka was designed for, and the designers interviewed Rudel to get his input on what made a good ground attack plane.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

squire
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 11:37pm

Post #14 of 17 (512 views)
Shortcut
Do not attempt to return to topic; we control your thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never heard that story before. Looking into it, as far as I can tell the source is Coram's 2004 book on fighter ace John Boyd. It recounts an anecdote about how Pierre Sprey, the lead developer of the A-10 at the Pentagon, "insisted that everyone on the project read Stuka Pilot, Rudel's wartime biography that told how he flew 2530 missions and destroyed 511 tanks." (Coram, p. 235)

Do you know more about whether it was at Fairchild (the eventual contractor), or at the Pentagon during the spec-writing phase, that someone actually interviewed Rudel, or is it as this account has it, that they just read his book?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 20 2014, 11:54pm

Post #15 of 17 (517 views)
Shortcut
To the best of my recollection, [In reply to] Can't Post

there was an article on the A-10 in a magazine that mentioned Fairchild personnel interviewing Rudel. I read a lot of aviation magazines, so the details are lost in the mists of time.

I read a book about Col Boyd; I think it was titled The Fighter Pilot Who Changed Warfare (?). That was recommended reading for my martial arts group (which focused on 14th century Italian longswords). Boyd's decision loop system has applications in all types of conflict.

squire
Half-elven

Jan 21 2014, 12:46pm

Post #16 of 17 (497 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like both stories could be true, or that one morphed into the other. Certainly both agree that Rudel's experience was seen as valuable by those designing a ground attack plane of the next technological generation.

I had never heard of Boyd before looking this factoid up. The excerpt I read (on Google Books) makes me want to learn more about his career and ideas.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 22 2014, 10:55am

Post #17 of 17 (504 views)
Shortcut
Works for the fear element too [In reply to] Can't Post

I still remember how my mother used to get creeped out by the sound of sirens even long after the war was over. I can really empathise with the horrible, creeping fear the Gondorians felt when they sensed the Nazgul overhead. Tolkien's first readers would have known exactly what it's like to live with the fear of air raids.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.