Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 5:36am

Post #1 of 20 (136 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome to TORn's Walk to Rivendell, the place to be for Tolkien-inspired walkers, runners, swimmers, dancers, and other such exercisers. Weather and holidays may have slowed us down a bit, but not for long! How have your journeys gone this past week?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 13
Cumulative miles: 952
Goal: There and Back Again!

I'm holding my own this week on mileage, which is not too bad, considering how little of it was on the treadmill. On my journey with the Dwarves, Bilbo has just found something shiny. And he's not telling anyone about it. I smell trouble (and stinky Dragon, but that's another worrisome matter...). Beamer and my Hobbit had a dance recital this past weekend - he tapped and she played another pants part in a number from 'How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying'. Watching a group of teens lampoon adults in need of a coffee break was every bit a funny as you might imagine!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 12
Cumulative miles: 909
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 2:52pm

Post #2 of 20 (69 views)
Shortcut
Week 52 [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I have been on the road for a year now... Never thought I'd get this far. Thanks for keeping me going, Arandiel and all my fellow walkers!

I'm still not getting enough exercise for my liking these days, but I am just so very lazy...

Miles this week: 29
Cumulative miles: 1780
Goal: There and Back Again!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 17 2014, 3:02pm

Post #3 of 20 (72 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Walkers :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Good for Hobbit and Beamer keeping on the move :D And you, Arandiel! It is hard to keep moving when it's so cold out, but I've had ooodles of fun shovelling snow :)

I've started working on my 40 years of hoarding... the worse being in the last 24 years since I bought my house. It's a freakin' time capsule! Loads of fun, at time melancholy of what has passed and will never be again (kids, g'kids growing up), but it's all good :) I'm looking forward to the new experience of walking through a room in a straight line without stepping over or bumping into something ;)

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and have fun on the road, wherever (and however) it's taking you! Thanks for keeping us on our Quest, Arandiel!

Miles covered: 25 miles
Cumulated miles: 2931
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :

I may have had the wrong cumulated miles last week :(

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 17 2014, 3:05pm

Post #4 of 20 (71 views)
Shortcut
*applause* Well Done :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The days go fast, don't they! *high five* Keep on Keeping on!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 4:40pm

Post #5 of 20 (75 views)
Shortcut
You should post pictures of some of the stuff you find. [In reply to] Can't Post

A good friend of mine had to clean out her parents' house after her mother died, and her father moved into an assisted living facility. They had been in the house at least 50 years, probably more.

To help with the melancholy, she posted pictures of some of the stranger things she found on her facebook page. She found an old Spirograph, an aluminum Christmas tree, old carbon paper used for making copies in the "olden days", and a box full of aluminum foil sheets her mother had ironed and was going to use again!

Good luck with all the mess! The Good Will store in your area would probably love to get some of it. Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 4:42pm

Post #6 of 20 (79 views)
Shortcut
Nothing to see here...this is not the exerciser you're looking for...move along. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue
Glad to see some of us are still moving. I'm still parked somewhere between Rivendell and Mirkwood, I think. Absolutely no motivation whatsoever to exercise. Nope. None. Angelic

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 5:47pm

Post #7 of 20 (66 views)
Shortcut
A year? Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, how time flies! It's great having you along, and still going strong!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 5:51pm

Post #8 of 20 (66 views)
Shortcut
Time capsule [In reply to] Can't Post

We're working on our own around here, too. 30+ years in the same house, between my parents and me - plus over a decade of deferred decisions on some of my kids' stuff. You have my empathy and admiration!

Keep up the good work, gramma!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 5:55pm

Post #9 of 20 (78 views)
Shortcut
Alassea - there you are! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see you! How's the garden?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18 2014, 2:29pm

Post #10 of 20 (62 views)
Shortcut
That was a great idea :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And I might just do that! Like my bell-bottom jeans with the faded peace symbols I wore in the early 70s? Or my portable typewriter (non-electric)? Or the can of green beans that expired in 1986? Found that in the box of books I carried forever and never opened. I think one of my then young daughters helped pack that one ;)

I moved all over the country 22 times between 1970 and 1990 (when I bought the house)... so some things were mindlessly carried. *sigh*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18 2014, 2:31pm

Post #11 of 20 (59 views)
Shortcut
*high five* We Shall Overcome!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18 2014, 2:38pm

Post #12 of 20 (61 views)
Shortcut
Bwaahahahaaa!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

No rules against taking a breather... or a vacation... or a sabbatical... or whatever you want to call it. INDULGE and we'll see you when we see you :D

*still giggling*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 18 2014, 9:25pm

Post #13 of 20 (59 views)
Shortcut
Ha! On time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha! I remembered! (Now I have Dori's voice from finding Nemo in my head--I'm entirely too much like her). Wink Here are my stats for this week!

miles this week: 7.2
miles this year: 19.2
cumulative over all: 1524.68
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!!

So glad to see you guys are still going strong! Looks like a busy week for us all. Although I really need to get my butt out the door more often. Definitely. Wish it'd stay warm!! Crazy I really need to get going. I have been doing some muscle work, so that is a good change.

Keep up the great work! And good luck with your time capsule grammaboodawg! They are so interesting...but so much work. Sly

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 19 2014, 3:22pm

Post #14 of 20 (58 views)
Shortcut
I love Dori! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I can no longer say escape. Now it's always ES-KAH-PEHHHHH!!! And I drive an ES-KAH-PEHHHHH... so it's great fun :D

Hang in there! I'll see you on the road :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2014, 5:05pm

Post #15 of 20 (56 views)
Shortcut
I've finally decided to set foot out my door. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went on an Adventure this week to see Richard Armitage in a reading of Pinter/Proust. I drove into New York from Maryland and then had 3 glorious hours were I just wandered around. I was counting up how many blocks I walked - somewhere around 90 city blocks or about 4 miles. Now that I am back in Maryland, I have kept walking, although my neighborhood is not be nearly as exciting, and added a few miles to that total.

So, can I add my miles to your total? They aren't much yet, but I managed to get past some obstacles to get out there and walk.

Week One
My progress: 6 miles
Cumulative Miles: 6 miles
Goal: Unexpected Journey Challenge - Erebor or Bust! (but I may miss the battle, late as I am on the road...)

Thank you Richard and cast for inspiring me to get on the road (Both on foot and by car!). I can feel the inner Took come to life (as well as every single muscle in my legs Tongue).

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 20 2014, 3:02pm

Post #16 of 20 (44 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

She's just loveable! And Pixar is making a movie for her character! I'm quite excited. Cool

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 20 2014, 3:03pm

Post #17 of 20 (48 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you had a good time, and that you got a good walk! Good walks are so relaxing--I've come to realize that I get grumpy a LOT more easily when I haven't had a walk. Gosh--I sound like my dog. Crazy

Was the Richard Armitage reading good?

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2014, 3:12pm

Post #18 of 20 (43 views)
Shortcut
It was very very good! [In reply to] Can't Post

See this report of our adventures from Brethil and me.

I do feel better in many ways except for my hips. I was walking in boots with heels. Ouch

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2014, 3:27pm

Post #19 of 20 (42 views)
Shortcut
Awesome!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful adventure!!! I've been to NYC twice, and am still enchanted by the walks. It's a wonderful place :D
Every mile counts! GOOD FOR YOU!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 21 2014, 2:17am

Post #20 of 20 (52 views)
Shortcut
Read it! [In reply to] Can't Post

What fun! Man, now I want to go to NYC. Granted, I've been wanting to go for a long time anyway. How nice that you "almost" met Thorin. Lucky girl. Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.