Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS loses its IMAX and theaters in my area this weekend - that's it then, it's over
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 7:33am

Post #26 of 39 (148 views)
Shortcut
In some places... [In reply to] Can't Post

...IMAX barely exists, and is ceartainly not a big deal. A few weeks to run yet!!!

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Jan 17 2014, 11:22am

Post #27 of 39 (136 views)
Shortcut
Lost it here [In reply to] Can't Post

My little local theatre (rural area, near Washington, DC, USA) had it in 3D HFR. Liked that format the best! Didn't like it in IMAX. Too blurry around the edges and in the background. Still playing here - a bit farther away. May have to see it 1 more time!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 2:37pm

Post #28 of 39 (123 views)
Shortcut
Still here [In reply to] Can't Post

and playing 4 times a day on moer than one screen per movie house.. Still in 3D, too. Saw DOS for the 5th time Sunday last and the theatre was 3/4's full. SO still going strong in my neck of the woods.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 17 2014, 4:25pm

Post #29 of 39 (111 views)
Shortcut
still showing here but [In reply to] Can't Post

I just looked and this week it drops down to only two showings per day and one is at 10PM. However, it stopped playing in 3D around here after only like a week and a half. That really stopped me from seeing the movie in the theater as much as I would have liked. I saw it on opening day in HFR, then again in 2D on New Year's Eve. If it was still playing even in just regular 3D I would have gone to see it a lot more. It's just that I know it will probably be out on blu ray in 2 months like the last one, and I can watch it in 2D at home.

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 4:31pm

Post #30 of 39 (105 views)
Shortcut
very sad re IMAX [In reply to] Can't Post

I've also seen it over 10 times but then I lost count - but that's why I'm greedy (what? I could play a dwarf LOL!!!) Just LOVE this movie, especially in IMAX where I can get so immersed and enjoy the close-ups and interesting camera angles - I usually don't even pay much attention to stuff like that.

Maybe I can road trip and find at least a 3D show - had seen this in Cinemark X 3D which was pretty good, but IMO the IMAX was the very best. I knew it would leave theaters eventually, but have been dreading the long DVD wait.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2014, 5:25pm

Post #31 of 39 (111 views)
Shortcut
I think it might still be showing here (fewer showings though) but my aunt... [In reply to] Can't Post

...who lives in an small-town-America type of area that doesn't have quite so many young people to go to the movies said that she went to the very last showing of DOS in her local theater last night. There were, including herself, all of three people there. But, like I said, the place where she lives has more people of the *cough* mature variety who don't go to the movies as often so that's not really unusual.

In total, I saw it twice, my mom saw it twice, my aunt saw it twice, and my dad and my uncle saw it once.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 8:01pm

Post #32 of 39 (91 views)
Shortcut
I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I did see it a lot....there are just so many scenes in this film I love seeing again, and just love this IMAX - the seat-and-chest rumbling sound system drowns out the rude types, and a huge clear screen so those closeups are amazing, shots of Laketown, Dol Guldur, the High Fells, Erebor, the fire blasts so epic.

Feels like it's been a really fun ride, from the double midnight showing w. all the fans to more viewings w. friends and alone - made the holidays "extended" for sure. And I really want DOS to get its billion, just because.

I've found my screenings have all been respectful as far as talking/rudeness, < shocked and happy about that > but I hear you.

Hope you are able to continue seeing it; there's nothing like revisiting a film you love.

It will get to a billion.

Finances are betting against a 4th screening tonight. That's okay, now holding out to see it again until EE comes out? Hope I can.

Enjoy it!

... on the other side of tomorrow...

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 9:19pm

Post #33 of 39 (103 views)
Shortcut
some theaters are brutal physically! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hear yah, I have relatives who just won't go to a theater anymore, it's too difficult re mobility. Glad you got to see it twice, because this is one movie where so much is going on, think it really demands a repeat view - like RA said, it's overwhelming. At least I thought so with the first viewing.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2014, 2:15am

Post #34 of 39 (80 views)
Shortcut
Locally, some 2D showings and 1 3D....a little farther away the big [In reply to] Can't Post

AMC 30 still shows it in Real 3D but only 3 times.

Q - if nobody is in a theater do they still run the movie?
I assume they do.

Q - have you ever had a theater to yourself?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 18 2014, 2:16am)

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 18 2014, 2:34am

Post #35 of 39 (73 views)
Shortcut
never been the only one in a theater [In reply to] Can't Post

for some movies it's been pretty sparse - but never just myself or self and friends. I've been to DOS on a weeknight and figured I might be the only one (like to settle in early), but other people always show up. I think that some are like me and deliberately trying to find an off time to avoid crowds and watch film in peace.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 2:49am

Post #36 of 39 (76 views)
Shortcut
I had a theatre all to myself once [In reply to] Can't Post

At the end they turned off all the lights and shut the doors, and I had to find my way out. It was quite an adventure!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2014, 3:44pm

Post #37 of 39 (51 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Glad you got to see it twice, because this is one movie where so much is going on, think it really demands a repeat view - like RA said, it's overwhelming. At least I thought so with the first viewing.

I enjoyed the movie plenty the first time, but there is so much going on that you miss some of the smaller stuff the first time. My mom, aunt and I all enjoyed it even more the second time because our brains were able to process and understand things better.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 8:57pm

Post #38 of 39 (50 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget that this is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... baby boomer story (very big in the 1960s and 1970s) so should be big in those areas with a more mature demographic. Art house cinemas here have it for that reason.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 19 2014, 2:22am

Post #39 of 39 (40 views)
Shortcut
I hope those bees look as awesome on home 3-D as they did in HFR in the theater./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Jan 19 2014, 2:29am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.