Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit nominated for 3 Oscars
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Bishop
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 12:05am

Post #76 of 96 (275 views)
Shortcut
It's more than that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Recognition of VFX excellence doesn't necessarily equate to everything being visually impressive all the time. We're talking about every reflection in every helmet, the subtlety of a tear lifting off a characters face and drifting in space, the insane attention to the physicality of weightlessness. The director and VFX team earned it on this one, IMHO.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2014, 12:10am

Post #77 of 96 (272 views)
Shortcut
Again, nothing i haven't seen before [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that "recognition of VFX excellence doesn't necessarily equate to everything being visually impressive all the time." I just disagreed with you that the whole of Gravity is basically the DOS river sequence.

I think we will not convince each other. Wink

p.s.
I'm not saying Gravity should not have been nominated, i just don't see it as this clear frontrunner in terms of SFX. It will probably win, though, since it's got all the support and momentum.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 17 2014, 12:13am)

Bishop
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 12:26am

Post #78 of 96 (258 views)
Shortcut
We can adree to disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

To my mind there has never been a more realistic depiction of weightlessness, and over the course of an entire film is certainly amazing. To me it's the first times I couldn't find a single crack in the believability of what was happening on screen. Don't get me wrong, I can find myself immersed in many kinds of films. But technically, it's pretty flawless.

Anyways, I'll be wishing both films luck come award night.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 12:34am

Post #79 of 96 (273 views)
Shortcut
Sketchy as some aspects of it are, I can actually understand why they might reserve artistic and costume [In reply to] Can't Post

awards until the last film. For, while the sound and CGI is a per film matter, as is the editing, in a film like this, where one massive work is divided into sections, the costume and art design would be almost entirely the same. Hair and makeup as well. Though in all these deparments these movies have it hands down, I believe, over the competition, there is some truth in the notion that they really all are a part of one massive production.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2014, 12:52am

Post #80 of 96 (271 views)
Shortcut
Some people still clinging to the hope that Hobbit gets nominated in the important categories? [In reply to] Can't Post

6 words: It is not going to happen. Wink

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 1:01am

Post #81 of 96 (246 views)
Shortcut
gravity [In reply to] Can't Post

visual effects doesnt just relate to cgi monsters!

gravity basically constructed the whole of space in a small box , with one actor and made an epic film, its the opposite of the hobbits 'everything including the kitchen' attitude andthose long shots are nothing to scoff at, the amount of work that would take is mind boggling.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Thaddeus
Bree

Jan 17 2014, 1:32am

Post #82 of 96 (238 views)
Shortcut
You're absolutely right [In reply to] Can't Post

speaking as a computer tech nerd, the VFX work for Gravity was groundbreaking. Not necessarily game changing, but ground breaking. There was a lot of innovation in the cgi techniques, such as animation without horizons or reference points. Could you tell where the set and actors stopped and VFX began?
That being said, Sandra's character felt rather empty to me. And, as others have said, watching it on a small screen would take away 7/10s of the reason for watching it. It was more a work of art as regards to cinematography and VFX and sound(Sorta like Tron), which already puts it in a different category from Smaug.

FrostyLemon
The Shire

Jan 17 2014, 1:50am

Post #83 of 96 (240 views)
Shortcut
Was really looking forward to Gravity [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember trying to convince my girlfriend to go in and watch it with me. The first collision in space was jaw-dropping, but after that I was waiting for some substance and it just never came. Bullock was emotionally flat, really unconvincing and at times the monologue was incedibly cheesey. She doesn't seem to know how to variate her voice, it's just the same 'ahh. ahh. uhh. ahh.' over and over again. And that happens a hell of a lot, mainly because the films one feature is the relentless chaos that ensues from everything that could go wrong, going wrong. By the end of the film I was cringing so much I couldn't wait to get out of there. Good news is my girlfreind enjoyed it. Trailers eh.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 17 2014, 1:51am

Post #84 of 96 (230 views)
Shortcut
Agree about Gravity and agree about treatment of Smaug.// [In reply to] Can't Post

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 2:08am

Post #85 of 96 (234 views)
Shortcut
That's your opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I can point many actors who pursued their own path, never won an Oscar and weren't hurt by it. And yes, I stand by my words that Oscars is politics and it's been long since it's been a fair game. So I don't care as many of my favorite actors, directors and others do not either. I'm not sure on what basis you can argue with me about the fact that I personally don't care. It's my right to do so.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 2:17am

Post #86 of 96 (230 views)
Shortcut
because [In reply to] Can't Post

like i said becuase people who win them, who work on films do care sometimes. why have awards at all, why have competitions! for recognition, and a good night out after along hard year! what im saying is becuase you dont care about who wins an oscar, or even if actors do, you shouldnt dismiss them , its a kick in th eteeth to that team of people doing say 14 hours days in a dark vfx room who might enjoy the fact they won an oscar, and yes its political and unfair, but you have to be in it to win it, yuo dont just happen to find yourself winning an oscar one day without putting in lot of hard work and dedicating your life probably.

(This post was edited by book Gandalf on Jan 17 2014, 2:18am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2014, 2:24am

Post #87 of 96 (232 views)
Shortcut
I think this has been hashed out enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Oscars will continue being what they are - and mean what they mean to the people involved - whether or not the audience members care because they are an industry award, not an audience award. One person's indifference isn't an insult to anyone else, merely a personal opinion. Time to let this go.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 2:50am

Post #88 of 96 (220 views)
Shortcut
MF marginalized? [In reply to] Can't Post

think the mods want to dial this thread down - but gotta say I can't see in any way MF was marginalized - so agree to disagree there. So many key scenes were his, and IMO his interaction with Smaug was classic - I couldn't have asked for more than that. + the spiders and everything else e.g barrels.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 3:16am

Post #89 of 96 (183 views)
Shortcut
yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gravity deserves everything it is sure to get.

Anyone rooting for DOS to come out a champ has succumbed to fandom. That's just my opinion, and I loved DOS...

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

willowing
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 7:34am

Post #90 of 96 (166 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! For The Hobbit-The Desolation of Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Three cheers for The DOS-Sound Mixing Team

Clap, Clap, Clap for The DOS Editing

Roll out the barrels for The Visual Effects Team

Congratulations and all the best Cool

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 7:43am

Post #91 of 96 (160 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's interesting, because there are fans that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

had exactly that reaction/feeling after seeing AUJ/DoS! Angelic

In Reply To
I did enjoy a few things about it but as a whole it left me irritated with how bad it was (for me mind you). I had very high expectations for it and while other movies that might have been "awful" were what I had expected of them.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 11:22am

Post #92 of 96 (138 views)
Shortcut
That's fine [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect there are. I wish they had enjoyed them more but I'm not terribly concerned that they didn't. I did and that's priority #1 for me. Cool

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 12:04pm

Post #93 of 96 (157 views)
Shortcut
seat [In reply to] Can't Post

i was actually close to shouting atthe screen when the all the silly parts of the hobbit were on, no film has made me feel that before. gravity kept ,me firmly in my seat :)

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 5:28pm

Post #94 of 96 (118 views)
Shortcut
Not that I don't think it deserves it, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I am surprised it was nominated at all. Besides for ROTK are fantasy films usually nominated at all?

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 5: Elves)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=704543;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 6:02pm

Post #95 of 96 (111 views)
Shortcut
Pixomondo is amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

Their work on Game Of Thrones is PHENOMENAL, and not once in GoT has the CGI been bad or looked out of place. Their work on the dragons is breathtaking and how life-like they look, and how great the interaction is between them and the human characters.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Kendalf
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 7:18pm

Post #96 of 96 (92 views)
Shortcut
Pixomondo do what?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Their work on Game Of Thrones is PHENOMENAL...Their work on the dragons is breathtaking

Woah! Woah! Woah! They do Game of Thrones, too?! I'd no idea!

That's it then: they really are the new kids on the block Cool

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.