Goofs that bother you
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 16 2014, 6:38pm

Post #26 of 45 (1448 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

What really bothers me and distract me are things that I can't cover up with my imagination..

doubles and scale double faces. The wig marks on the forehead of the actors (you can even tell the lace in extreme close ups).

I hope PJ fixes at least double faces for a future ultimate edition or something

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 7:10pm

Post #27 of 45 (1443 views)
Shortcut
The one I like best [In reply to] Can't Post

is the perfectly timed 'affirmation' sound a horse makes when Gimli is asking Eomer about the fate of the hobbits.

I have no idea why people think the Nazgul's horse sounds as if it is saying 'hi'. It sounds nothing like that to me.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 10:38pm

Post #28 of 45 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Remembered another one [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure this is a goof maybe a geographical error but it does bug me. When Bilbo says "I want to see Mountains again, Mountains Gandalf!" it bugs me because a few scenes later when Frodo and Sam are walking through the Shire...you can see mountains in the distance and there aren't supposed to be any big mountain ranges like that near the Shire,, I always say to myself "just walk a few miles geez Bilbo" lol

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 11:10pm

Post #29 of 45 (1444 views)
Shortcut
remembered another one [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry for the double post but I remembered another one and couldn't edit my original one.

in a wide shot Frodo and Gandalf are talking about the Ring at Bag-End Frodo is pouring Gandalf a cup of tea in the close up of Frodo he is sitting down already with his own cup of tea in his hands, he must be very fast at pouring tea

Elwen
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 8:25pm

Post #30 of 45 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Actually, the thing that bothers me most about that scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the horse saying "Hi."

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 8:35pm

Post #31 of 45 (1397 views)
Shortcut
Scratches head [In reply to] Can't Post

How can a horse making a normal sound bother people?
Can you help me with this one?

Elwen
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 8:46pm

Post #32 of 45 (1396 views)
Shortcut
It may be a normal horse sound... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it sounds like "Hi" to me, especially coupled with the angle of the shot. I can almost finish the sentence with "...this is my big close-up."

It's not the fault of the movie, so not truly a "goof" but it completely takes me out of the moment, which is what bothers me.

Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

Elwen
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 8:49pm

Post #33 of 45 (1397 views)
Shortcut
I'm one of those people... [In reply to] Can't Post

although at this point, it's funny more than irritating.

Interestingly, I've never noticed the "Benny Hill" or the affirmation Starling is referring to above. It's probably best that I haven't, because I'm not able to "not hear it" once I know it's there.

(This post was edited by Elwen on Jan 17 2014, 8:55pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 9:03pm

Post #34 of 45 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I see what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything that lifts you out of the movie (whether it is an actual goof or not) can be a bother.

I always have trouble with the FOTR scene when Elrond announces, "You shall be the fellowship of the ring," because it looks so fake visually. It takes me out of the moment every time.
Same with the ROTK Frodo waking up scene, when everyone comes in for the reunion. They all look like they are there individually, but it doesn't work visually as a group of people for me. Then there is the laughing scene, but don't even get me started on that...

Thankfully, the wonderful moments outweigh the not so wonderful by about 100 to 1!

Elwen
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 9:09pm

Post #35 of 45 (1369 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you on both of those scenes BTW....// [In reply to] Can't Post

Nira
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 11:05pm

Post #36 of 45 (1396 views)
Shortcut
these have been mentioned, but I noticed first viewing and still bug me [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin's tied-untied-tied hands when the horse is about to stomp on him

Black rider appearing out of the middle of the tree

Scale doubles obviously scale doubles- now I can see them all.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 11:14pm

Post #37 of 45 (1373 views)
Shortcut
It's a funny thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of those goofs (in general, I mean, not just the ones you list here) bother me, and some don't.
I have never noticed the tied and untied hands thing. I have always noticed the black rider appearing out of the middle of the tree, but it has never bothered me. I always notice Brego's 'magic' bit, and it always bugs me.

Some of the scale double things bother me, and some don't.
Overall, the things that bug me tend to be the same things over and over. If someone points out something I hadn't noticed before, it usually doesn't bother me, even when it can technically be described as a goof. In fact, I often don't see it, and Pippins tied and untied hands would be an example of that.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 2:56am

Post #38 of 45 (1377 views)
Shortcut
Dear God the laughing scene.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have anything against it it's very sweet but I just can't watch the close up of Gandalf laughing after Merry and Pippin start jumping on the bed I have no idea why

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 4:46am

Post #39 of 45 (1366 views)
Shortcut
Noooo [In reply to] Can't Post

Stop it! Now I have the laughing scene playing in a loop in my head. Laugh

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 19 2014, 7:16am

Post #40 of 45 (1361 views)
Shortcut
I've been watching LOTR a lot lately [In reply to] Can't Post

and I noticed the march upon the Black Gate, and how they are all on horses, but then suddenly during the battle there are no horses hardly to be seen. I just saw it and I have had a few to drink, but seems like a mess up to me unless I missed a spot where they let them all go or told the horses to flee.

I've watched the extended versions of TTT and ROTK twice in one week..I'm not sure if that counts as overkill if I'm still enjoying them, but I feel I have a guilty pleasure, lol.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 5: Elves)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=704543;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

(This post was edited by Elskidor on Jan 19 2014, 7:18am)

demnation
Rohan

Jan 19 2014, 7:18am

Post #41 of 45 (1339 views)
Shortcut
I let that one slide [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd just say it happens off screen.

DwarfTosser

Jan 20 2014, 9:34pm

Post #42 of 45 (1315 views)
Shortcut
western border of Fangorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Treebeard saying "I'll leave you at the western border of the forest and you can go north from there". Isn't the western border the Misty Mountains?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 11:28pm

Post #43 of 45 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but the only choice was crossing the mountans at some point... [In reply to] Can't Post

they would have to have been crossed eventually going north or west. To the South was Isengard and going East was no use.

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Feb 18 2014, 6:45am

Post #44 of 45 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Just ones that everyone else has mentioned. [In reply to] Can't Post

The tied-untied-tied one REALLY annoys me at times!

The Black Rider emerging from behind thr tree always throws me off.

I always thought I was the only one who noticed Boromir's hand in the death scene.

The laughing/waking up scene has only been a problem since I heard Elijah Wood in the commentary say that he thought it was too Wizard of Oz. Now it seems a little childish at times.

I'll probably remember more later!Tongue I also have to remember to listen for the horse and the Fell Beast saying 'hi!' Maybe I shouldn't though since then I won't be able to un-hear it!

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

It is our fight!~ Tauriel

I fear neither death nor pain! ~Eowyn

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Feb 18 2014, 10:17pm

Post #45 of 45 (1250 views)
Shortcut
Another one! [In reply to] Can't Post

When, after the Battle of Helm's Deep, Eomer is not Karl Urban!! I never even realized it was supposed to be Eomer! He looks like Gamling, so I naturally assumed it was Gamling! Now it kind of irritants me!

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

It is our fight!~ Tauriel

I fear neither death nor pain! ~Eowyn

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.