Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson and The Desolation of Progress
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Tinuvielinthemiddle
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 11:44pm

Post #76 of 94 (291 views)
Shortcut
HEY [In reply to] Can't Post

HI :)Wink

Tinuvielinthemiddle
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 11:46pm

Post #77 of 94 (281 views)
Shortcut
galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

galadrial evil acts. possesses constipated face

Tinuvielinthemiddle
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 11:47pm

Post #78 of 94 (271 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

VIVA BARBOL! :)

Kendalf
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 11:51pm

Post #79 of 94 (278 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I believe it may be [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was wondering if the rather diverse make-up of Laketown in DOS was a response to the criticism of the filmmakers post-LOTR for not featuring more diversity in the background casting

Absolutely. That's exactly how it struck me.

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 6 2014, 12:50am

Post #80 of 94 (267 views)
Shortcut
Waking up next to Thranduil... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now you're talking... Wink

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 6 2014, 1:05am

Post #81 of 94 (246 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

My issues are primarily with deviations from the source material, namely the inclusion of incongruous story arcs. I'm not really bothered by the use of green screen.

And I also don't understand the OP's comments about Galadriel*...at all. "Frigidity"? Her portrayal onscreen matches Tolkien's description of her in the books, and I don't equate elves with "frigidity." Elves were essentially perfect creatures and thus they're physically beautiful, ethereal, wise, and generally slender/lithe beings. I personally think Jackson nailed the appearances for the various ME races, especially in the LoTR movies. I have some issues with some of the DoS dwarves not being very dwarvish, but overall, he honored Tolkien's descriptions of primary characters.

*Sadly, I don't understand what the OP is saying in the majority of her posts. Unsure

In Reply To
...but they mostly stem from a story-telling perspective. I generally dislike it when Jackson starts adding in his own plot-lines and things like that. The prominent use of green-screen is not something that bugs me as much as it bugs others.

As for Galadriel; what exactly is offensive about a blond Elf from the books being portrayed as a blond Elf in the films? I do not at all get how anyone would be offended by this. Crazy

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 6 2014, 1:20am)

warhorse78
Bree

Jan 6 2014, 2:33am

Post #82 of 94 (222 views)
Shortcut
My cousin would love to wake up to Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh, I'd like to see a moment if Thranduil comes to Laketown and one of Bard's daughters starts to fancy him, and he gives a look of disgust or something.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jan 6 2014, 3:07am

Post #83 of 94 (228 views)
Shortcut
I must respectfully disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson put his health in danger putting everything he could into the making of these Hobbit movies, just look at the pre-filming and post-filming pictures.

PJ, along with James Cameron, and others are pioneers in the film industry, and are using technology to make it better, not just for the sake of technology. Their films are allowing people like myself to immerse themselves into the movie like never before, because the experience is so real and you feel like you are right inside the movie...a part of it. I am no longer used to the age old 24fps judder and blur that are on the screen during action scenes or scenes with panning, and I definitely don't want to go backwards into black and white. I love how they have perfected the green screen to the point where you don't know if it was a set, a real life background or a green screen, and because it is so good now, I don't care or think about what is green screened or not. Movie experiences have never been more real or more thrilling, and PJ's latest films are just examples of how awesome cinema is becoming. For me 3D HFR is the best there has ever been, and PJ has done more justice to these films than I could have ever imagined. I'll leave it up to individual people who have read the book and understand film making to decide if he did the book or Tolkien's work justice, but for me who has never read the book, I have only been completely blown away by movies a few times and PJ's latest works, along with Cameron's Avatar, the Harry Potter movies, and latest Star Wars films make the cut for me.
I can respect that these movies came from Tolkien, that the films never would have been made without him, and I am grateful for that original genius of creation he gave us, but I love & respect mostly these movies first & foremost, PJ, the screen writers, and everyone who contributed to these movies. There is no devastation here with these films, but rather a desolation of stagnant old school film making that made us become so used to blur & judder, and a 2 dimensional reality. PJ offers a near 4th dimension experience with how he made these latest films.
PJ's films have as much art, heart, sweat, soul and vision in them as any films of old...IMHO

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

(This post was edited by sphdle1 on Jan 6 2014, 3:11am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2014, 3:22am

Post #84 of 94 (200 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree with ya more, sphdle1. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2014, 3:32am

Post #85 of 94 (193 views)
Shortcut
nice horse on your avatar btw! [In reply to] Can't Post

you like my new signature? Wink

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

warhorse78
Bree

Jan 6 2014, 3:37am

Post #86 of 94 (196 views)
Shortcut
Technology does not make work easier. [In reply to] Can't Post

You are so right. Even with all of the advancements to help clean a house up, or muck a stable out, it still takes just as long and with as much sweat and blood like it did 50 years ago.

tsmith675
Gondor

Jan 6 2014, 5:35am

Post #87 of 94 (156 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you understand what I'm saying. You totally get it. Spot on. However, I'm unsure how the subject got changed to anything but the art of filmmaking, as that was the subject of the original post and what I was responding to! Hmm, very curious indeed.

"This day we FIGHT!"

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 6 2014, 10:28am

Post #88 of 94 (138 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very much. Can't get enough Thranduil. Smile

In Reply To
you like my new signature? Wink

Noria
Rohan

Jan 6 2014, 3:00pm

Post #89 of 94 (127 views)
Shortcut
I agree also sphdle! Except that I am a Tolkien book lover and I still love these movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

OP, I too am sorry that you donít care for The Hobbit movies but the adaptation of books to movies has been going on for a long time and some are much more extreme than this. Look at all the versions of Pride and Prejudice, all somewhat different.

LotR and The Hobbit are books that could only be made in live action using all the tricks a director can call upon to create the different races and locations of Middle Earth. IMO only the developments of the last couple of decades in computer graphics, motion capture and photography made possible the making of these movies in a way that worked. Times change and new tools are developed in every field of work and life.

In purely visual and sound terms, these films are a delight, IMO. I love how they interweave actual outdoor locations with film sets with digital creations, actors and their live doubles with digital doubles. I donít look for or dwell upon the boundaries between live action and digital enhancements and only occasionally notice them.

Itís clear from the documentaries and video logs that Peter Jackson and his people put their hearts and souls and blood into all these movies. They are pioneers and trailblazers in several ways. Peter Jackson has said that he is trying to make movies that will draw people into the theatre, instead of watching movies on their phones.

The LotR and Hobbit books have been very dear to me for decades and there were things in the movies, especially in LotR, with which I disagreed, much though I loved the movies overall. I also love The Hobbit movies, despite all the changes from the book. I see the original story, Bilboís story, playing out pretty well intact in these films, the difference being that itís one of several plot lines. IMO the Dol Guldur plot line needs to be in the movie and personally I enjoyed the expanded story of the Mirkwood Elves, including Tauriel and Legolas.

In the end the movies are what they are and nothing will change them, even TaBA.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 6 2014, 4:49pm

Post #90 of 94 (125 views)
Shortcut
Bomby stays away from these... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby waited almost 50 years (48 years)
to see these.

Bomby realized these Books
would make great Movies
Immediately
@ Christmas 1966AD

Bomby then, realized Movies
about these would be
Trash...

without the Un-Imaginable? (at the Time..)
Infinitely, Vast Progress
of Fantasy Cinema
Technology..

Moving all of us.. a long
40+ years into the
Future of Cinema
Forward...

Bomby,
A First Responder
could not be more pleased.

with PJ&CO's Result

Tolkien's
Words & Worlds are like a
Beautiful Border around everything
Bomby
Sees..& Hears

& AS the High Lama
said in Shangri-La
(LOST HORIZON)

"Sometimes you glimpse the Eternal..."

Heart

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 6 2014, 5:17pm

Post #91 of 94 (103 views)
Shortcut
it's lonely at the top [In reply to] Can't Post

"Sometimes I think that PJ just can't win, regardless of what he does."

The price of success. If PJ's movies were bombing, nobody would pay an attention. IMO it's wonderful he has worked for more diversity at Laketown - which is logical considering it is a trading center (or was) but if he hadn't, I still wouldn't think it would be an issue considering Tolkien's influences, culture, etc. that have been so well documented in other posts.

It's also logical that PJ & co. would come up with a fresh idea for an orc main character, as opposed to more Uruk Hai types, as well as different populations of wargs. Just more hard work and commitment from the whole of PJ's team.

PS. And for the OP, who I think may have been implying re CGI etc. no-one goes to a theater in the U.S. and everything's Netflix.

Er, I've seen DOS in theaters over 10 times at this point. Not once do I remember was I not lost in the film. I do remember thinking often, tho, that I wish I could freeze this scene, right now, just so I could stare in awe a bit longer, for instance at the beautiful interior of the elven halls - which are CGI. And utterly gorgeous.

If a movie is worth going to in the U.S., people go. And it's not as tho profit for a film isn't generated from DVD/rentals anyway - home and computer viewing is just another asset and a useful one re films, especially for some aged, ill, and homebound who cannot physically handle getting into or dealing with a theater. Why should those people be denied the pleasure of seeing movies because it is not as "artful" of a way to view them?

aruman
Rivendell

Jan 7 2014, 2:39am

Post #92 of 94 (74 views)
Shortcut
Ya I don't get it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like whenever someone says, "I didn't enjoy the film very much, I would have preferred a more faithful adaptation," there are people who will essentially respond with, "No, you're wrong." The most common reason they seem to give has something to do with the popularity of the movie.

It's like they can't stand the fact that someone else isn't drooling over said movie.

I wonder what the professor himself would think about all these films and whatnot.

In the movies Elrond, Denethor, Haldir, Galadriel, and Celeborn stink.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jan 7 2014, 3:43am

Post #93 of 94 (63 views)
Shortcut
Awesome post Bomby! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Jan 7 2014, 3:59am

Post #94 of 94 (71 views)
Shortcut
You don't need to wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll see if I can find the quote in his letters, but when they sent him the script for the animated LOTR he was quite concerned with the interpretation by the director/writer and his lack of understanding of why people wanted to see an LOTR film so badly. Considering his opinion towards technology, I don't think Tolkien would respond so favourably to the films.

I don't think people need to "drool" over them, any more than they should over ANY film. The Hobbit (or LOTR) don't deserve a pass because they are derived from Tolkien's work.

I have learned, from varied experience, that film adaptation from a book is a mixed bag. The language of film is such that, being a visual medium it requires far more investment of the creator, and less trust in the audience to understand what is being communicated. Many times filmmakers will state that what they meant to do and what is commonly understood are two different things. So, I take adaptations as the filmmaker intended, not just from the work that is being adapted. This, of course, is just my opinion, but being a fan of books like Starship Troopers, and watching the essentially parody film, is hard to swallow.

With the Hobbit, I am afraid that I do not have as must invested in the book. I like the Hobbit because it communicates a similar tone to the book, with a more child-like view rather than the darker, more dire tones of the LOTR trilogy. It also has to take place inside the world of Middle Earth, with direct ties to the events of LOTR but not always clear in the course of events.

I think a direct adaptation is possible, but not as accessible, since some parts in the Hobbit that rely so much on people's imaginations simply will not translate to film. Would I like a more direct adaptation? Maybe, but I just don't know if it would be better received by the audience.

I don't fault anyone for not liking any of these movies, but I think they are much better than they are given credit for.

In Reply To
It seems like whenever someone says, "I didn't enjoy the film very much, I would have preferred a more faithful adaptation," there are people who will essentially respond with, "No, you're wrong." The most common reason they seem to give has something to do with the popularity of the movie.

It's like they can't stand the fact that someone else isn't drooling over said movie.

I wonder what the professor himself would think about all these films and whatnot.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.