Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A PB Q & A - not sure if posted before

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 3:42am

Post #1 of 7 (620 views)
Shortcut
A PB Q & A - not sure if posted before Can't Post

http://www.warnerbroscanada.com/...riterco-producer-qa/

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 5 2014, 9:51am)

demnation
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 6:49am

Post #2 of 7 (241 views)
Shortcut
That is new- Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty extensive, too. I think they go over pretty much every aspect of the film!

Without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless

As far as any character is 'like me' it is Faramir–except that I lack what all my characters possess: Courage.

A small knowledge of history depresses one with the sense of the everlasting mass and weight of human iniquity

Kim
Valinor

Jan 5 2014, 7:43am

Post #3 of 7 (212 views)
Shortcut
Great interview, thanks for posting! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 5 2014, 2:08pm

Post #4 of 7 (150 views)
Shortcut
Cool! - very interesting, thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Noria
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 2:23pm

Post #5 of 7 (145 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this. [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a number of interesting things said in that interview but one caught my eye.

"One thing Pete didn’t want to do was to continue the ‘road movie’ feel. He wanted the Dwarves to arrive at a location pretty quickly. It was about the obstacles that come at them to stop them from achieving their goal, which is to get to The Lonely Mountain, get inside and retrieve the Arkenstone."

So less time was spent with Beorn and in Mirkwood in order to get to the destination. I can see that - AUJ is about the journey and DoS about meeting Smaug. Thranduil is one of the obstacles, and Bard and the Master to some extent.

Ending the original first movie after Barrels out of Bond would have meant that only the Laketown sequence lay between the Dwarves and the Dragon.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 5 2014, 3:37pm

Post #6 of 7 (147 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, that's really fascinating, and there's so much there. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is especially interesting. I haven't seen anyone identify leadership as one of the themes of this films, but when you think about it, it does run through it (and through AUJ as well). Here's the quote, referring particularly to Laketown and Bard :

It’s part of the theme that runs through this film. It’s about leadership and what makes for a natural leader. We have the wonderful Stephen Fry playing the Master of Lake-town, who is the epitome of a disastrous leader. In contrast to the Master, you have Bard, someone who people naturally turn to. There’s an instinctive quality about him. It’s not about someone who’s the biggest or the loudest or even the strongest. It’s about someone who has real courage, decency, and empathy for those around him. Luke immediately brought those qualities to this character.

It's also nice to see PB talking at some length about working with Howard Shore, and his contribution to the films.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jan 6 2014, 1:28am

Post #7 of 7 (71 views)
Shortcut
I liked the bit about Mikael Persbrandt [In reply to] Can't Post

She really speaks highly of him. I am hoping that means there is a lot come and also a lot that was cut out of DoS that will be back in for the EE.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.