Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who's already anticipating a fan edit of all three?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

frodolives
Lorien

Jan 6 2014, 10:01pm

Post #76 of 79 (100 views)
Shortcut
Here's how [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What did you do with the dwarves saying "Someone's coming" and Gandalf pulling out his sword as he's walking away and all the dwarves running behind Bilbo as he's pulling the sword out?

Gandalf gives Bilbo Sting. He tells him about its powers. Bilbo tells him he has never used a sword before. Gandalf tells him he hopes he never has to. Bilbo pulls out the sword slowly. As this is happening, the music from the 'canyons' scene fades in. Cut to the party walking through the canyons. It is literally seamless. The only bummer is that I had to cut Gandalf's speech about 'true courage.' I love that moment, but from a transition standpoint, I had to remove it.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 6 2014, 10:24pm

Post #77 of 79 (94 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought to do it like that

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Jan 7 2014, 4:24am

Post #78 of 79 (89 views)
Shortcut
Fair point [In reply to] Can't Post

However, fan edits are rarely sold for any sort of profit, and if they are then a Ceased and Desist as well as copyright infringement and deprivation of profit.

That isn't what fan edits do, in my opinion, and I would be curious to find any that claim to do so. Most are done by people who want to see if they CAN actually do it. Some just replace score (I have seen several who have done so, some more successful and some less successful) while others do editing work to see what they can make.

As a quick aside, editing is as much a part of the film making process as shooting the film. Editing actually saved the original Star Wars ending because the the original edit was not very coherent.

Since some people would argue that the Hobbit is not always a coherent story, a fan edit would be one way to demonstrate a fan's vision who may not be able to write fan fiction.

Again, please see some of the Star Wars fan edits. Here is a quick example with comparison of the original film against the edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFt6e_Usdg8

In Reply To
"This paperback edition, and no other, has been published with my consent and co-operation. Those who approve of courtesy (at least) to living authors will purchase it, and no other."

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 17 2014, 9:56pm

Post #79 of 79 (73 views)
Shortcut
Not sure how you can think it's an ego thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I cannot understand why these self-styled 'film-makers' don't just produce films of their own instead of attempting to tamper with the obvious very hard graft of others. As Elessar says, it's largely an ego thing, I think. Oh well, Warner will no doubt remove these 'edits' as soon as they appear on the Net.

Not sure how you can think it's an ego thing.

To spend, sometimes, hundreds of hours planning, cutting and remixing something... that only a tiny, tiny, tiny audience is ever going to see...?

That's more of an intellectual exercise to please oneself before anything else. Hardly an ego driven thing at all.

There's a reason they're called FAN edits; you typically have to me a massive fan, beyond the norm, to even think about wanting to do one.

It's disappointing how negative some of you are about the concept. You might not like it -- and that's fine; more power to you -- but to accuse people of 'ego' and other stuff, when that's clearly not the case, is out of order. To be completely honest, actually, it's a bit of a cheap shot.

(This post was edited by Mad Baggins on Jan 17 2014, 9:57pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.