Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Not sure how you can think it's an ego thing.

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 17, 9:56pm

Views: 28
Shortcut
Not sure how you can think it's an ego thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I cannot understand why these self-styled 'film-makers' don't just produce films of their own instead of attempting to tamper with the obvious very hard graft of others. As Elessar says, it's largely an ego thing, I think. Oh well, Warner will no doubt remove these 'edits' as soon as they appear on the Net.

Not sure how you can think it's an ego thing.

To spend, sometimes, hundreds of hours planning, cutting and remixing something... that only a tiny, tiny, tiny audience is ever going to see...?

That's more of an intellectual exercise to please oneself before anything else. Hardly an ego driven thing at all.

There's a reason they're called FAN edits; you typically have to me a massive fan, beyond the norm, to even think about wanting to do one.

It's disappointing how negative some of you are about the concept. You might not like it -- and that's fine; more power to you -- but to accuse people of 'ego' and other stuff, when that's clearly not the case, is out of order. To be completely honest, actually, it's a bit of a cheap shot.

(This post was edited by Mad Baggins on Jan 17, 9:57pm)

Subject User Time
Who's already anticipating a fan edit of all three? Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 4, 11:42pm
    I don't think I've ever understood the point. DavidDevant Send a private message to DavidDevant Jan 4, 11:58pm
        Well... Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 12:02am
            Exactly - DavidDevant Send a private message to DavidDevant Jan 5, 12:07am
    Well... Elutherian Send a private message to Elutherian Jan 5, 12:06am
    I would imagine Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Jan 5, 12:11am
    I am Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Jan 5, 12:40am
        Still, it would be all from the work accomplished by other people. Not fair, IMO. // mae govannen Send a private message to mae govannen Jan 5, 3:30pm
    I will prefer a PJ edit of all six... patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Jan 5, 12:51am
        He is... but... Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 12:55am
            we shall see patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Jan 5, 1:00am
    I'm looking forward to... Kathuphazgân Send a private message to Kathuphazgân Jan 5, 2:30am
        I think then each of us would need their own edit!!! mae govannen Send a private message to mae govannen Jan 5, 3:34pm
    Don't think it's possible.. Scorchster Send a private message to Scorchster Jan 5, 2:47am
        GoT Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 3:12am
            Perhaps! Scorchster Send a private message to Scorchster Jan 5, 3:46am
                Well... Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 3:48am
                    Do You? Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Jan 5, 3:55am
                        Well... Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 4:22am
        I am with you on all your points. Well said! // mae govannen Send a private message to mae govannen Jan 5, 3:23pm
    It would be a challenge Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Jan 5, 3:27am
        Yes Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 3:41am
            Here's an idea Scorchster Send a private message to Scorchster Jan 5, 3:49am
        The confrontation with Azog... BalrogTrainer Send a private message to BalrogTrainer Jan 5, 4:07am
            i thought About The Smaug Fight too Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Jan 5, 4:30am
        I would support a fan edit Elciryamo Send a private message to Elciryamo Jan 5, 6:22am
            that was my thinking Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Jan 5, 6:44am
            If you were to do cuts Elskidor Send a private message to Elskidor Jan 5, 6:50am
        It's a piece of cake frodolives Send a private message to frodolives Jan 6, 6:29pm
            How did you do that? Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Jan 6, 9:54pm
                Here's how frodolives Send a private message to frodolives Jan 6, 10:01pm
                    wow Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Jan 6, 10:24pm
    Fan edits Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Jan 5, 5:00am
        the only droidsocket Send a private message to droidsocket Jan 5, 5:40am
            Now that would be cool Elskidor Send a private message to Elskidor Jan 5, 5:43am
            Now that Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Jan 5, 6:20am
    Not me.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 5, 9:08am
        Not really... Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 9:35am
            But they don't though, do they? dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 5, 12:48pm
                some do, but some don't Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Jan 6, 7:13am
                    You misunderstand me dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 6, 9:22am
                        Agree, again, Dormouse Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jan 6, 3:04pm
                        that makes a lot more sense Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Jan 6, 6:14pm
        A fans ego Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Jan 5, 10:01pm
    Yes... Grimbold Send a private message to Grimbold Jan 5, 12:43pm
    Certainly not me. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jan 5, 1:27pm
        Not necessarily Elciryamo Send a private message to Elciryamo Jan 6, 5:48am
            Speaking of the Phantom Edit .... BlackCountry Send a private message to BlackCountry Jan 6, 7:11am
    Certainly not me. I dislike them Noria Send a private message to Noria Jan 5, 1:43pm
        Warners will do all they can to have them taken down... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 5, 2:07pm
            Umm, isnt that exactly what PJ did when adapting The Hobbit in the first place? jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 5, 6:52pm
                In the US, entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Jan 5, 7:02pm
                    Of course it isnt technically legal jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 5, 7:28pm
                        Maybe you don't but the law does. dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 5, 7:35pm
                            I dont think a fan edit would destroy anyones livliehood. jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 5, 7:47pm
                                Peter Jackson disrespectful? warhorse78 Send a private message to warhorse78 Jan 5, 9:11pm
                                    I certainly understand the meaning of that word jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 5, 10:16pm
                                        Yup Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 10:57pm
                            Music Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 10:48pm
                                Well, as I've said in other threads, I'm not musically educated.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 5, 11:12pm
                                    Grassroots Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 5, 11:39pm
                                        Fair enough... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 5, 11:53pm
                                            JarJar Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 6, 12:05am
                                            Exactly – totally agree Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jan 6, 12:31am
                                                Not sure how you can think it's an ego thing. Mad Baggins Send a private message to Mad Baggins Jan 17, 9:56pm
                            Ever make a mix tape? frodolives Send a private message to frodolives Jan 6, 6:37pm
                                No, I never have... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jan 6, 6:47pm
                                    Clearly we will never agree frodolives Send a private message to frodolives Jan 6, 6:53pm
    Would prefer it done by PJ himself: mae govannen Send a private message to mae govannen Jan 5, 3:57pm
        Wow, mae govannen Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Jan 5, 9:08pm
            Sorry my post has been interpreted in a not intended general way... mae govannen Send a private message to mae govannen Jan 6, 7:52am
    Would rather another director/team adapt the hobbit book imin Send a private message to imin Jan 5, 5:18pm
    Pointless Danielos Send a private message to Danielos Jan 5, 7:43pm
        Not quite... frodolives Send a private message to frodolives Jan 6, 6:40pm
    As Danielos points out, taking away from something doesn't make it better, it only makes it smaller. Noria Send a private message to Noria Jan 5, 10:20pm
        I think you bring up here the point that really matters: mae govannen Send a private message to mae govannen Jan 6, 8:06am
    I've made a 'purist' edit of AUJ frodolives Send a private message to frodolives Jan 6, 4:58pm
    As Tolkien said: Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 6, 8:11pm
        Fair point Elciryamo Send a private message to Elciryamo Jan 7, 4:24am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.