Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Top/bottom things you hope/can't wait to see in TABA

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Jan 4 2014, 9:44pm

Post #1 of 14 (677 views)
Shortcut
Top/bottom things you hope/can't wait to see in TABA Can't Post

Subject explains it all :)
(Book spoilers)
Top:
A good not-underwhelming prologue
Thorin's death scene
Dol Guldur battle
BO5A in general!
Smaug attacking Laketown
Thorin's downfall
The return journey
Something unpredictable innovated by PJ that I find good

Bottom: (aka things I do not wish to see or fear will happen)
-BO5A being way too busy and a bit of a CGI overload.
-Elf stunts to become the main point of BO5A
-Laketown being destroyed scene being intercut with Dol Guldur
- An incomplete TE experience. DOS' TE was very incomplete feeling IMO, although I am sure the EE will redeem it. I want TABA to feel great in cinema so that we don't have to wait 11 months to get a coherent conclusion.
- Bilbo being swept aside.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 4 2014, 10:12pm

Post #2 of 14 (419 views)
Shortcut
Great thread... *SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

What I'd like to see:

1) A well done Bo5A (ala Helm's Deep)
2) Beorn taking out Bolg
3) Gandalf arriving just in time to avert the man/elf v. dwarf war and rally everyone to team up and fight the orcs/wargs
4) Thranduil in action at the Bo5A (plus show his sending aid to Laketown)
5) The Bilbo scene with the Arkenstone (and Thranduil trying to convince him to stay with them for fear of what Thorin might do)
6) Poignant (ala Boromir) death scenes for Thorin, Fili, and Kili (dying as written in the book) followed by Thorin's burial with Thranduil placing the Arkenstone in his tomb (all of the above without Tauriel's involvement)
7) The Thranduil/Bilbo scene wherein Bilbo gives him the necklace
8) Epilogue (...and back again/return journey ??)

What I'd really rather not see:
1) Tauriel. Period. Especially Tauriel taking screen time away from canon characters. (Sorry!)
2) Anything having to do with the Tauriel/Kili/Legolas story arc; get those dwarves to the Lonely Mountain and leave Tauriel out of their death scenes and the Bo5A for that matter
3) Over the top CGI Legolas stunts (one or two memorable ones would suffice)
4) Bilbo taking a back seat. Again.
5) Deviations from the source material such as Smaug not dying by Bard's hand or flying off to lay waste to the Greenwood, Tauriel saving the day at the Bo5A or playing any significant role whatsoever, or Tauriel marrying one of the canon characters in a tropetastic* Mary Sue story arc finale, etc.
6) The poorly executed scene transitions seen in DoS

*Yes, I'm aware that's not a word. Wink

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 4 2014, 10:17pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 4 2014, 10:14pm

Post #3 of 14 (376 views)
Shortcut
My choices [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's Death scene
More Beorn-hate the design love the character
The Assault on Dol Guldor (I haven't actually enjoyed most of the action scenes thus far, I'm just very very curious how this will turn out)
Smaug attacking Laketown
The Prologue-who knows?
Balin visiting Bilbo
More of NZ's wonderful scenery
A BOFA in the snow?
Any potential bridging scenes-again who knows what is coming?
Billy Connolly riding a gaint Boar swearing madly in Khuzdul
The Talking Purse making a surprise appearance (you never know)

Bottom
The Hobbit being sidelined again
Overblown CGI sequences
Forgettable music
Fili (or Kili I forget) and Legolas/Tauriel nonsense
The drastic changes Jackson will no doubt make to the story
More LOTR rehasing/references-it's a different story!
Azog
Frodo and Gimli being shoehorned in
Erratic pacing
Oscar baiting dialogue
Either too stretched or too subplotty, I don't want them to work so hard making it epic they end up making it annoying
Thorin being made too much of a good guy-I want the ending to be as traumatic as possible, with all the murkiness the book suggests.
A cheeky set up by PJ hinting at a Silmarillion film (leave it alone)

If it's not in your Appendices, maybe it's in mine?

(This post was edited by malickfan on Jan 4 2014, 10:17pm)

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 4 2014, 11:06pm

Post #4 of 14 (322 views)
Shortcut
Dol Guldur mostly [In reply to] Can't Post

then watching anything to do with Bilbo, Thorin, Balin, Smaug and Azog in second.

BO5A should be utterly awesome and breath taking, as well.

So I suppose I'm looking forward to watch the 2 big showdowns, and watching my favorite character's arcs come to an end.

I care least about and worry a bit about the screen time and things Legolas, Tauriel and the love triangle will do and hope the most important elements of the story is not taken over by some of this type of fluff.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 3: Villains)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=697710;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2014, 11:15pm

Post #5 of 14 (301 views)
Shortcut
...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog (Bottom) I hope but ouch....Thranduil (Top) can't wait Wink

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 4 2014, 11:21pm

Post #6 of 14 (308 views)
Shortcut
What I can't wait to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the film.

What I don't want to see...

.... the end credits!

Mad Baggins
The Shire

Jan 4 2014, 11:29pm

Post #7 of 14 (294 views)
Shortcut
Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

While many are looking forward to Thorin's death, I'm looking forward to what leads up to it. When I first heard about who were playing Fili and Kili, years ago, I speculated that there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house as two of the better looking dwarves go back to back, fighting dozens of orcs, trying to shield their uncle. The Howard Shore score will swell; we'll probably go into some slow motion for good measure... and each will be cut down.

That is going to be one of the big moments in the film. Think Boromir in LotR.

MyPrecioussss
Bree

Jan 5 2014, 1:16am

Post #8 of 14 (256 views)
Shortcut
My list [In reply to] Can't Post

Most looking forward to:

• Bard killing Smaug
• Tauriel being awesome

Least looking forward to:

• People continuing to incessantly shriek and whine about Tauriel's existence.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 5 2014, 2:07am

Post #9 of 14 (234 views)
Shortcut
You mean there will be people in TABA "shrieking and whining" about Tauriel!? [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG, I personally can't wait to see that! Let me add it to my list. Crazy

But then I may be confused as I thought this thread was about what we hoped would occur or not occur in TABA (as in the movie).

On a serious note, to refer to people discussing or criticizing a specific character or story arc as "incessantly shrieking and whining" is rather inconsiderate. Is that to say if people criticize something you also dislike it's acceptable and wouldn't be considered "shrieking and whining"?

In Reply To
Most looking forward to:

• Bard killing Smaug
• Tauriel being awesome

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 3:11am

Post #10 of 14 (212 views)
Shortcut
"More LOTR rehasing/references-it's a different story!" [In reply to] Can't Post

...as Tolkein did to a small extent and tried to do to a larger extent (see Unfinished Tales and the LOR Appendices) the two stories do go together (and he wished them to), and as such 'forshadowing' as I have said many time on this forum is a classic narrative device (google Chekov on this), and has been around a very long time check out Shakespeare and even earlier classics

Thranderz
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 9:52am

Post #11 of 14 (148 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have said this a few times I think as well. If The Hobbit did not foreshadow LOTR at all it would feel a little foreign and alien to the other trilogy.

I simply walked into Mordor.

warhorse78
Bree

Jan 5 2014, 10:41am

Post #12 of 14 (150 views)
Shortcut
Tell me about it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Most looking forward to:

• Bard killing Smaug
• Tauriel being awesome

I don't meet any of these disdain for Tauriel people in the real world, and everyone I know actually loves the Kili/Tauriel romance. It's actually made one of my best friends and a cousin fans of the LOTR world finally, after over a decade of trying.

Uh, lets see, I'm really looking forward to how the Dwarves back at Laketown are going to deal with the knowledge of a dragon coming towards them (my favorite three Dwarves are stuck there, Kili, Fili and Bofur)

I can't wait for more Legolas tricks. I love this guy to death.

I can't wait to see Thranduil in action, and I hope they give a prologue on how he got his scar. It was quite a wicked one.

What I am not looking forward to. The deaths. I hope some creative license is used and maybe at least Kili survives despite what the books says, but I doubt it.

I also hope they don't make the movie too serious, I like some comedy splashed here and there.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Jan 5 2014, 11:00am

Post #13 of 14 (165 views)
Shortcut
One memorable moment you fellas haven't mentioned yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo being given his Mythril Shirt by Thorin, that we all know will eventually be passed down to Frodo!!! :)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

(This post was edited by BlackCountry on Jan 5 2014, 11:02am)

QueenCirce
The Shire

Jan 7 2014, 5:32am

Post #14 of 14 (43 views)
Shortcut
what i am hoping... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Dol Guldor battle to be massive and LONG. I want to see the istari and the white council really let loose with some major magic. The Nazgul to appear, and I would like to see Sauron assume some kind of new form.
2. Radgast and Gandlaf do more magic together, a team up, fighting off spiders and monsters. More magic from radgast especially poor dude is severely underestimated….
3. Bo5A being more varied with the terrain and the different armies, rather than a massive scale battle on a flat field.
4. Gandalf showing up and stopping the bickering at the BO5A with some thunderous announcement and flashy effect reminding everyone why he is BOSS.
5. Smaug go nova on lake town.
6. Thranduil in action.
7. Hints of sarumans defection and lies.

Bottom

1. I like legolas and Tauriel but less over the top stunts.
2. Not too long and drawn out on the goodbyes and endings.
3. Less Tauriel and Kili Romance, despite it being ok, would rather more screen time to dol guldor and smaug.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.