Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box office 2014, TABA, "dark vs. light" films - any thoughts? *SPOILERS!!!!*
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jan 5 2014, 3:46am

Post #26 of 32 (153 views)
Shortcut
Personally, [In reply to] Can't Post

the idea of Thorin not dying, is a bit like Dain not killing Azog.

The tale of Thorin is a tragedy, of a great Dwarf (the movie version, at least) who lost his way, but found himself in the end.

I just hope that Dain is portrayed as a worthy replacement.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Taladamir
The Shire

Jan 5 2014, 5:25pm

Post #27 of 32 (87 views)
Shortcut
I saw that also [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't think Bo5a is meant to be bigger or worse than the battles in ROTK so if ROTK wasn't R rated then neither will TABA.

If nothing else, I don't think it's necessary. To basically repeat what I already said, ROTK featured the worst battles of the War of the Ring both in their violence and darkness and feeling of hopelessness. Need I remind everyone of the decapitated human heads getting flung over the wall of Minas Tirith? What about all the other battles in ROTK, especially that one in Osgilliath when Gothmog first showed up (along with several of the other battles)? Or when Eowyn beheaded the fell beast? etc. etc. Yet ROTK was still PG-13. If that's the case there ain't no way their going to make TABA rated R. There's just no reason for it, unless they do something totally out of character for both TH and LOTR and make Bo5a ridiculously gory. Again, there's just no reason for it. At all.

I saw this one reviewer on a family movie review website say that he thought DOS was the most violent of any of the LOTR trilogies so far. IMO that's ridiculous! TNT ran a marathon of the LOTR trilogy on New Year's day which I watched and then I saw DOS for the second time the very next day. There is really no comparison. Sure, DOS is violent and deserves the PG-13 rating, but even FOTR has some scenes (read: the entirety of Boromir's death scene) that are darker, more violent and more upsetting than any individual depiction of violence in DOS. LOTR was also bloodier overall than TH.

Anyway, no, I don't want an R rating. It's not necessary and I think it would ultimately hurt the profits more than the studio would want or could even afford.

Not exactly sure what they meant but perhaps it was because every death in DOS seemed more personal, every single orc was killed directly on screen That was something we haven't seen in LOTR or AUJ so maybe it felt more violent to some people?

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 5 2014, 5:30pm

Post #28 of 32 (90 views)
Shortcut
unworthy replacment....... [In reply to] Can't Post

ye gods, what a thought - having a war leader king (head of the dwarves of the Iron Hills yet) show up who makes the audience lift its eyebrows or worse, laughs.

But I won't believe that. The casting has been impeccable and in a cast of badasses, gotta believe Dain will be portrayed to be the baddest of the badasses - considering Dwalin that should be something to see. Combined with an intelligence as well - another thing I can only assume that PJ & co. have thought long and hard about.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2014, 6:32pm

Post #29 of 32 (80 views)
Shortcut
I don't think they are going to alter the deaths... [In reply to] Can't Post

of Thorin, Fili, and Kili.

I understand that we have come to expect changes/deviations with the movie adaptations but I don't see them sparing Thorin, Fili, and Kili.

1. There is too much drama to pass up

2. The quote and link provided below show Phillipa Boyens thoughts on the story of the Hobbit.

In comparison to the Lord Of The Rings books, The Hobbit’s tiny. It must have been quite demanding to get three epic movies out of it.

Well, yes and no. Because it’s part of a greater story. There’s a lot of The Hobbit in The Lord Of The Rings - in the Appendices, for example. It’s not just the Appendices, either - there are lots of references to The Hobbit throughout The Lord Of The Rings. So there’s that. Professor Tolkien rewrote it himself over and over again. He didn’t stop writing The Hobbit, actually. But you’re right, it is actually a children’s book. But when you look at the dimensions of it, there’s so much action in there. What do you lose? What do you leave out? Those are the things we had to look at.

And the other thing is, you can write about things like Giant Spiders, but actually seeing them is a whole other thing. And another thing: they go on the journey, they get to the mountain, that really should be the end of the story in any other world, but it’s not. And a whole other element comes into it - it’s quite tragic.

It’s interesting, because even people who’ve read the book say, “Oh, I loved The Hobbit. It’s so much fun”. And I say, “Yeah, but it’s sad though, at the end.” And they go, “Is it? Why?” And I say, “Well, because people die.”

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-desolation-of-smaug/28639/philippa-boyens-on-adapting-the-hobbit-deleted-scenes-and-more#ixzz2pY9dtiUT

I'm not sure one of the main screenwriters would acknowledge these moments publicly, in an interview, and then completely ignore their importance in the final cut.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

warhorse78
Bree

Jan 6 2014, 3:56am

Post #30 of 32 (52 views)
Shortcut
Theatrical release will never be R. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no way that WB would allow it. Now, they might tease with it, because a movie based on a kids book might get an R rating is a great news headliner, and might increase interest in the film, but in the end, PG-13 is what makes the money.

But you can bet your socks off, when TABA comes on EE, it will be considered the unrated version, which means all bets off.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2014, 5:13am

Post #31 of 32 (57 views)
Shortcut
This is not logical. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Let's not kill off Thorin, but injure him so much that he is confined to a robotic wheelchair with only his scarred head visible, and his only means of communication is a light that beeps "yes" and another light that beeps "no", and he winds up being sent to Lothlorien where he can live out the rest of his days in an elf-magic induced illusion of health and prosperity.Tongue

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2014, 4:04pm

Post #32 of 32 (43 views)
Shortcut
Keeping in mind that I do like that website and the reviewers there... [In reply to] Can't Post

They (that reviewer in particular) have admitted in various blogs that they have a weakness for being a bit cynical sometimes and they all have a very short memory for media in general. (Frankly, I think one would need a short memory for such things if one was to be a movie reviewer, lest the more disturbing things they are required to review get stuck in their heads and bother them for a long time.) That is why I think he made that statement. It's probably been a long time since he watched the LOTR movies and that short memory for media may have caused him to forget the more violent parts. But what you mentioned may have been a factor as well.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.