Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Nice moments for me not covered so far...

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 4:49am

Post #1 of 6 (626 views)
Shortcut
Nice moments for me not covered so far... Can't Post

i)....at the beginning with Bilbo trying to tell them 'there is something scary out there', and them saying 'yes it is orcs we know about that' and he says 'no something else' and gets frustrated; or
ii) Raddie saying to Gandalf 'this is not the nicest place to meet';
iii) brief glimpse of the bunny sled,
iv) Bilbo trying to hold a conversation with Samug while trying to keep an eye on the Arkenstone;
v) Bilbo searching or Arkenstone;
vi) stunning landscape at the high fells,
vii) Beorn pouring milk from outside of shot and the cows and bees to scale (bees mentioned already I know),

moreorless
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 10:48am

Post #2 of 6 (254 views)
Shortcut
Radagast worked very well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i)....at the beginning with Bilbo trying to tell them 'there is something scary out there', and them saying 'yes it is orcs we know about that' and he says 'no something else' and gets frustrated; or
ii) Raddie saying to Gandalf 'this is not the nicest place to meet';
iii) brief glimpse of the bunny sled,
iv) Bilbo trying to hold a conversation with Samug while trying to keep an eye on the Arkenstone;
v) Bilbo searching or Arkenstone;
vi) stunning landscape at the high fells,
vii) Beorn pouring milk from outside of shot and the cows and bees to scale (bees mentioned already I know),

A points in AUJ he was a bit too over the top for me but the scene on the high fells he worked very well with Gandalf indeed.

Erewen
The Shire

Dec 27 2013, 12:25pm

Post #3 of 6 (224 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if this hasn't been covered yet but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's look of 'Oh not again', almost irritation when he catches sight of the orcs was brilliant

In dreams I will find my way.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 4:00pm

Post #4 of 6 (172 views)
Shortcut
well, it's not "nice" but [In reply to] Can't Post

- love the way the first hint of dragon-sickness is handled, GREAT performances, and the sound of the heavy sword slapped against stone, and the gritty sound and menace of the blade being twisted, and Thorin's stance and face and Bilbo. It's horrible but beautifully done.

- the plink of the coins as Smaug crosses over the dwarves

- the wavering heat of Smaug's fire - at the dwarves, and under Thorin

- the way Smaug's eyes are so alive, and the way his claws curl around stone as he moves.

- the dwarves each grabbing a spider leg and pulling.......

- Dwalin simply punching a spider - LOL!

(nicer stuff:)

- the flowers where Gandalf and the dwarves are running, and later the beauty when Bilbo sees the butterflies

- both Balin's and Throrin's expression in the cells, re the rejected deal.

- the waterfall pouring behind the dwarves when they leave the river

- the way Tauriel's hair shimmers in the sunlight as she looks across the lake.

- Thorin's boot coming down on the key, and the almost tender scrape of the metal as he picks the key up, and
the sound of the lock and door opening

- the door carving and Gloin reading

- the expression on Bilbo as he realizes the impossible size of Smaug

- Bilbo's expression when he first breaks and runs, and the way all those coins move and shift, and when Bilbo runs from under the coins and Smaug's foot, and the long slide on the coins

- Thorin "you're alive"! Bilbo "Not for much longer!" LOL

And, oh yes, there really is a pigeon sitting on the the head of the statue of the Master of Laketown - ha ha.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 28 2013, 1:45am

Post #5 of 6 (77 views)
Shortcut
re Dwalin punching a spider [In reply to] Can't Post

did anyone else notice in this scene, it looks like Dwalin's already lost his knuckle-dusters?

I like your list btw, and thanks for the confirmation of the pigeon on the head of the statue of the Master - I'll look out for that on my next view. Smile

Nira
Lorien

Dec 28 2013, 2:48am

Post #6 of 6 (78 views)
Shortcut
Is there some significance to the pigeon on the statue that I'm not getting? [In reply to] Can't Post

And I missed Dwalin punching the spider. That's funny I'll have to look for that next viewing.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.