Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
International DoS Box Office update

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 2:29am

Post #1 of 16 (1014 views)
Shortcut
International DoS Box Office update Can't Post

http://www.deadline.com/...-box-office-opening/

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 27 2013, 3:17am)

demnation
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 3:01am

Post #2 of 16 (534 views)
Shortcut
The prognosis seems good [In reply to] Can't Post

It's probably looking at a worldwide cume in the $900 million range. Probably second highest of the year.

Without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless

As far as any character is 'like me' it is Faramir–except that I lack what all my characters possess: Courage.

A small knowledge of history depresses one with the sense of the everlasting mass and weight of human iniquity

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 3:06am

Post #3 of 16 (495 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe when all is said and done it will be 850 to 900m. that is nothing to shake a stick at and is certainly an excellent take for a middle movie for sure.

I think it will continue to do well internationally, not enough to offset the U.S but enough to keep in in the ballpark and be an oustanding showing overall. Looking very good.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 4:16am

Post #4 of 16 (466 views)
Shortcut
Just keep chugging along [In reply to] Can't Post

I still think this has a fair chance at 1 billion. It may stay longer in theaters than AUJ in order to do it though. Either way I figure this ends up around the 950-975 million if it doesn't crack 1 billion.

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 4:23am

Post #5 of 16 (426 views)
Shortcut
Note AUJ was $1.1b [In reply to] Can't Post

...so DOS can still drop 10% and still be over $1b, and it is holding up everywhere except the US where it may be down 20% but not enough to drop it much overall. Note repeat viewings are only just starting in the US (I will wait a couple of weeks here sin Oz before the next DOS outing)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 4:27am

Post #6 of 16 (399 views)
Shortcut
AUJ did $1.017b // [In reply to] Can't Post

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 4:31am

Post #7 of 16 (470 views)
Shortcut
Asian international [In reply to] Can't Post

The Asian box office for DOS should be significant. I live in Thailand, and DOS is up a huge 24.5% compared to AUJ . People in Asia love action movies and dragons, so look for big numbers when DOS opens in China and Japan.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 4:34am

Post #8 of 16 (392 views)
Shortcut
ooops sorry $1.01b!!!! NOT $1.1b [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 4:42am

Post #9 of 16 (412 views)
Shortcut
Repeats [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure for the casual fans it has but crazy people like myself I'm looking at #4 next week.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 5:07am

Post #10 of 16 (380 views)
Shortcut
doesn't matter [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS will still be considered a big hit regardless if it hits that number.

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 27 2013, 5:07am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2013, 1:04pm

Post #11 of 16 (238 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily [In reply to] Can't Post

In Hong Kong and South Korea it's down compared to AUJ.

AriesT
Bree

Dec 27 2013, 1:44pm

Post #12 of 16 (227 views)
Shortcut
Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Germany again is the leading country of all international markets with ~39 million before the christmas days. This is fantastic if you have in mind we were the biggest international market for AUJ as well.
Regardless of how high the gross will be in the end. Everything above ~850 million world wide will make TABA all profit for the studio. If you see it like this, it was a good decision to make this a trilogy. As we all do not want this, the last Middle-earth chapter we will ever see on the screen in our lives, to be a commercial flop ultimately (regarding the 860 million budget incl. commercials). Wink

I am Aries and this is my zodiac sign.

(This post was edited by AriesT on Dec 27 2013, 1:46pm)

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 3:10pm

Post #13 of 16 (166 views)
Shortcut
crazy w. wonder and joy maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I went last night - my fave multiplex seems to have made room for every movie but happily
DOS is holding onto the IMAX 3D theater, which was pretty full in spite of the high ticket
price. Whole multiplex was crowded anyway, guess as people shaking off Christmas and
cabin fever.

I'll see it again this weekend w. friends who haven't been able to go yet - tho I am ready for
the BR so I can "study" my favorite scenes. Will miss seeing 20? 30? foot high elves,
dwarves, and Bilbo tho.

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 3:31pm

Post #14 of 16 (155 views)
Shortcut
And I'm happy [In reply to] Can't Post

Since BO is written about as tho it's a sport, but by the tone of the article headings etc. these writers view DOS as a financial success already, as opposed to the happily snarky comments the writers come up with when a movie is not doing well. Particularly as I sat in a theater last night and idly wondered how many of these people had actually seen AUJ? or were just there to "see the dragon". I actually moved because 1 of the guys behind me said something to the effect "he wouldn't even be at this movie otherwise" which I found offensive, and figured he'd be blabbing through a lot of the film. (*Commoners* - always bleating about a movie being too long, more action, too much action.....LOL!!!)

I'm happy for PJ & co. after the obvious monumental effort was put into DOS - don't think I'll will ever stop being amazed at all the tricks they used re the seamless blending of the shorter dwarves with the other actors, the details of the sets, the locations, the makeup, the performances, the action sequences, the spiders and Smaug. If the movie made $3000 it'd still be a masterpiece and vision of ME.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 4:28pm

Post #15 of 16 (159 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit still no.1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like it took another 10.5 million on Thursday. It seems to be holding up fairly well.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/christmas-day-hobbit-vs-wolf-anchorman-2-mitty-anchorman-2-and-47-ronin-follow/

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 27 2013, 4:28pm

Post #16 of 16 (130 views)
Shortcut
BR [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I am looking forward to having it on Blu. Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.