Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
your hobbit film
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 5:31pm

Post #26 of 37 (129 views)
Shortcut
disregard plot. [In reply to] Can't Post

rather than get dragged down with plots and including and omitting certain things, my question was more to do with style!

what other movies or series have you felt captured that essence that you expect to see in a hobbit adaption.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

bowencm
Rivendell

Dec 27 2013, 6:08pm

Post #27 of 37 (118 views)
Shortcut
d'oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

its like a news article buddy - no matter what you write, it always ends up being about politics and not the original subject! in this case, plot points found their way back in!! haha

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 6:30pm

Post #28 of 37 (115 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
its like a news article buddy - no matter what you write, it always ends up being about politics and not the original subject! in this case, plot points found their way back in!! haha

i know!! my post has nothing to do with plot, yet tauriel gets dragged into it, that was a huge post that guy wrote, not answering the original question lol

MyPrecioussss
Bree

Dec 27 2013, 6:34pm

Post #29 of 37 (119 views)
Shortcut
The only visual/stylistic change I would make [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard would be wearing a lot less clothing. Because have you seen Luke Evans without a shirt on? I mean, damn. I get that Laketown is supposed to be chilly, but come on, costume designers! That's like going to a museum and throwing a bunch of dirty rags on a glorious work of art.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 6:51pm

Post #30 of 37 (111 views)
Shortcut
ha [In reply to] Can't Post

and why dont we get to see tauriels elf boobs?

becuase this isnt conan the barbarian! and this is why the books are better, becuase people always want to cheapen things!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 27 2013, 7:16pm

Post #31 of 37 (112 views)
Shortcut
Six I know of. [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides the Rankin-Bass and PJ's...

The 1979 BBC production.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0771799/

There's a 1985 RussianTV play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...e_Hobbit_(1985_film)

And a 1993 Finnish TV miniseries that includes it with LOTR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobitit

And of course there's William L. Snyder's 1966 "ash can" version.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/...Makes-Its-Way-Online

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 27 2013, 8:34pm

Post #32 of 37 (101 views)
Shortcut
hobbit versions [In reply to] Can't Post

i saw a production of the hobbit as a play around ten years ago. was great and the dwarfs did forward rolls 2 by 2 when they arrived at bad end. AND they had the enchanted river!!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 27 2013, 9:50pm

Post #33 of 37 (100 views)
Shortcut
Essie the troll... [In reply to] Can't Post

In 1968 Patricia Gray adapted The Hobbit into a two act play.

(Limited preview: http://books.google.com/...obbit%20play&f=false)

She made many omissions. For example, no Elrond, no Rivendell, no Beorn, no Laketown, and no Bard.

She also made many changes. For example, the troll William became the more sympathetic female troll Essie. The Elven King became The Elven Queen. And Thorin is the one who kills Smaug.

The play was authorized by Tolkien.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2013, 10:03pm

Post #34 of 37 (94 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was replying to Fredegar Wayfarer's post, and guess I got a little carried away. Oh well Crazy

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 28 2013, 12:22am

Post #35 of 37 (77 views)
Shortcut
I apologize as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I misunderstood the question in your original post. I have so many ideas and wishes for what "my" Hobbit film would have been like, I guess I got carried away.

In terms of style, I echo the person who mentioned 1980s Henson. Films like The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth do a good job of blending a whimsical fairy tale tone with darkness and eeriness. That's what I would expect from a Hobbit adaptation. I also think that the Rankin-Bass animated Hobbit is a better representation of the story than Jackson's films. Not only because it is truer to the plot but because it captures that fairy tale tone with darkness lurking below the surface.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Dec 28 2013, 9:04am

Post #36 of 37 (56 views)
Shortcut
but by the time of the hobbit and in fact thousands of years earlier [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron was all but wholly evil, as close as possible to a wholly evil will in Tolkiens own words, and orcs due to their nature were irredeemable. The whole black and white morality that is often a criticism of Tolkiens work is a mistake to put it politely. Grey characters include Feanor, his sons, the rebelling Noldor, Denethor, Boromir, Eol, Maeglin, Turin, Mim, Thingol, the dwarves that murdered Thingol, the men in servitude of Sauron and probably heaps more.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jan 4 2014, 9:29am

Post #37 of 37 (24 views)
Shortcut
perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
I think PJ was the right choice for The Hobbit.

GDT was working on At the Mountains of Madness a by H. P. Lovecraft, but a ratings despute with the studio got the project scratched... GDT wanted an R rating and the studio insisted on PG-13 ... would have liked to se that one!!!

The issue for me was always which Del Toro we were going to get. The "Hollywood" version is still a good blockbuster director but not IMHO on the level of Jackson with LOTR and Kong, lacking in the same level of drama and awe.

A mix of that version and the "spanish" Del Toro was I'd guess what people were hoping for, a blockbuster with the depth and beauty of something like Pan's but aimed more at a family audience.

Not Kow Towing to the Studios demands is why he bailed on The Hobbit .... he was going to make his movie not what they told him to and didn't have the clout to make it stick..

No reflection on PJ either ... he has enough clout now to get what he wants for the most part and could pick and choose his battle more than someone like GDT

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.