The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A question about Dwarves in the Fourth Age

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 23 2013, 8:37pm

Post #1 of 17 (519 views)
Shortcut
A question about Dwarves in the Fourth Age Can't Post

We know that with the destruction of Sauron and the One Ring, and the loss of power to the three rings of the Elves, the Elves had the choice of either sailing to the Undying Lands or remaining in Middle-earth and diminishing. But did Tolkien ever mention what happened to the Dwarves?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

PhantomS
Rohan

Dec 24 2013, 12:14am

Post #2 of 17 (417 views)
Shortcut
He did. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was mostly in the Appendices, as well as Unfinished Tales and other side literature but here goes:-

-Erebor and Dale continue to prosper, as the roads are now safe.

-One more Durin is born, called 'Durin the Last' and the Dwarves recolonize Khazad-dum now that the Balrog is gone. As Gimli is the one providing the geneaology here, it is plausible that this happens while Aragorn is still alive i.e a hundred and seventy or so years after LoTR.

-Because of the woes of their past, as well as the jealous nature of Dwarf women, Dwarves are fated to die out due to a slow population growth rate. Dragons haven't been totally eradicated from the world, mind.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2013, 12:58am

Post #3 of 17 (397 views)
Shortcut
Thanks PhantomS. [In reply to] Can't Post

As sad ending for our Dwarves.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 24 2013, 11:40am

Post #4 of 17 (372 views)
Shortcut
The fourth age belongs to men [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sad how the magic of middleearth is disappering slowly, and with it also the dwarfs. One can wonder what will happen to the hobbits?

But we also know that Tolkien vaguely describes Dagor Dagorath, battle of battles, which is to be the final battle between good and evil where Melkor will return and the Valar will fight. In this battle the dwarfs will also participate. After this battle the world will be broken, a new song of the Ainur will create the new world and the dwarfs believe, that they shall help theire maker, Aulë( Mahal) rebuild Arda.

So it might not be Fourth Age but it still describes something about the dwarven legend. I think it is beautiful.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 24 2013, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 17 (342 views)
Shortcut
A nice ending, if you can wait for it. [In reply to] Can't Post

The "magic is dying out in the world, giving us the barren present" theme is prominent in fantasy, and not a theme I like myself, since I do like the present. That vision of a better Arda, made right and kept right, is a much better one to look forward to in the Tolkien scheme of things.

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 24 2013, 8:01pm

Post #6 of 17 (339 views)
Shortcut
All true about the Last Battle Azaghal! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's sad how the magic of middleearth is disappering slowly, and with it also the dwarfs. One can wonder what will happen to the hobbits?

But we also know that Tolkien vaguely describes Dagor Dagorath, battle of battles, which is to be the final battle between good and evil where Melkor will return and the Valar will fight. In this battle the dwarfs will also participate. After this battle the world will be broken, a new song of the Ainur will create the new world and the dwarfs believe, that they shall help theire maker, Aulë( Mahal) rebuild Arda.

So it might not be Fourth Age but it still describes something about the dwarven legend. I think it is beautiful.

We shall have the glory of the Dwarves remade, and the redemption of Man in Turin rising again too.
I agree with CG - I like to embrace that optimism that JRRT writes into the races, of the healed Arda being stronger and better than Arda Unmarred. The pain and loss makes for strength and a diverse Song...

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in March, 2014. We hope to see you there!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 24 2013, 9:14pm

Post #7 of 17 (316 views)
Shortcut
I find it highly agreeable that you agree with me. [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's just me be egregious.

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 25 2013, 4:40am

Post #8 of 17 (318 views)
Shortcut
Cheekily egregious? Or egregiously cheeky? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheegregious? Egrecheeky?
Hmmmm. Needs work.
Wink

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in March, 2014. We hope to see you there!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Dec 25 2013, 4:40am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 25 2013, 2:26pm

Post #9 of 17 (316 views)
Shortcut
"CG" really stand for Cheegregious. You outed me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

Dec 25 2013, 6:43pm

Post #10 of 17 (287 views)
Shortcut
i thought it stood for... [In reply to] Can't Post

i thought it stood for... "c-gnanigans."

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 25 2013, 7:28pm

Post #11 of 17 (282 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, stranger! [In reply to] Can't Post

In toying further with permutations, I think "Curious Gregious" has a comic book sound to it, as in "Batman and Spiderman take on Curious Gregious." I hope it sounds sinister; I'm usually stuck in the Boy Scout roles.

You and Brethil, of course, get the chic bad girl roles: Incendiary Siren and Subversive Minx. Dress in a costume according to those names, and I can guarantee you a certain dwarf actor will be smitten by you (but I won't reveal which dwarf).

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 26 2013, 5:31am

Post #12 of 17 (261 views)
Shortcut
(*waves*) Hullo Telpemairo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another excellent name. Nice. Fitting. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 26 2013, 5:32am

Post #13 of 17 (259 views)
Shortcut
I have to get my Subversive Minx LTD catalog out I see... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and order something fun. Wink

Maciliel
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 6:06am

Post #14 of 17 (262 views)
Shortcut
i suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

i suppose it may not matter that i do not see myself as an incendiary siren. (as long as others do? could be a powerful tool in my arsenal.)

definitely a mischief-maker. and i've also been told i'm a trouble-maker. and things of that nature.

i think i've got the outfit covered already. however, it would be just like you to engineer a scenario in which brethil and i get all dressed up... only for you to reveal that the smitten dwarves are dopey and sneezy. yes, that would be just like you. you and your c-gnanigans.

and, in that same spirit.... i got you a little something for the holidays. it's a humongous diamond. or it will be, in a few million years. right now, it's about three tons of precambrian coal. be patient.

happy holidays!!!!!

: ) cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 26 2013, 5:40pm

Post #15 of 17 (243 views)
Shortcut
I think CG has Dopey in mind for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I've gotten a few letters, Dopey thinks we have a lot in common.

Maciliel
Valinor

Dec 26 2013, 5:59pm

Post #16 of 17 (242 views)
Shortcut
how....??? [In reply to] Can't Post

how could he do that to you, tengwadil.... when he knows you want majesty?

cg. the rotter.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 27 2013, 7:58pm

Post #17 of 17 (231 views)
Shortcut
Sigh. Never trust a cheeky monkey to run a dating service. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.