Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Nick Keller (of Weta Workshop) Hobbit Conceptual Art

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 3:15pm

Post #1 of 7 (710 views)
Shortcut
Nick Keller (of Weta Workshop) Hobbit Conceptual Art Can't Post

Don't know if this has been posted, but this guy has created some seriously impressive stuff.

There's not one of these I wouldn't love to have framed on my wall.

http://cargocollective.com/nickbkeller/The-Hobbit

Nick Keller currently works as a senior concept artist at Weta Workshop in Wellington, New Zealand.

Since 2006, He has worked on a number of film projects including ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’, ‘Under the Mountain’, ‘Avatar’, ‘Indiana Jones 4’, and most recently ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy.

He spends his days at Weta working digitally in Photoshop and in his spare time enjoys painting with traditional media, creating fantastical and surreal imagery, mainly in oils. Such projects include collaborations with a variety of bands illustrating album artwork.

Nick has contributed to Volumes I and II of ‘White Cloud Worlds’, a collection of science fiction and fantasy artwork from New Zealand. His recent film work can also be seen in ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Chronicles: Art and Design’ and ‘Chronicles: Creatures & Characters’

The Thorin one is particularly badass:

(Oversized image removed - Ataahua.)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 23 2013, 6:08pm)

Anduril54
The Shire

Dec 23 2013, 3:58pm

Post #2 of 7 (245 views)
Shortcut
Cool find! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially love Thrain's armor designs. The red really makes them pop!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 6:09pm

Post #3 of 7 (180 views)
Shortcut
not sure I'd want the wargs/orcs on my wall but the rest are beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

That version of Azog's white warg especially is creepin' me out!Crazy Those eyes...those teeth...*shivers*...I've had nightmares about critters like that. Even still, the quality of the artwork is breath-taking and that's actually very close to how I pictured the wargs from Tolkien's description of them in the book!

I love the various concept art drawings for the dwarves as well, but I think my favorites in the collection are the drawings of the Rivendell Elves. This one in particular is my favorite:

That is the one I would love to have on my wall!Heart

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 23 2013, 6:09pm

Post #4 of 7 (175 views)
Shortcut
I've removed the image as it's oversized. [In reply to] Can't Post

Feel free to resize it as set out in TORN 201 and repost it within this thread.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 23 2013, 6:17pm

Post #5 of 7 (182 views)
Shortcut
Out of all of those images only Radagast's sled was fully realized from the art [In reply to] Can't Post

Why couldn't the warg riders look like that?? Peter always seems to like the orcs to look stupid rather than scary. If only we could have had a higher rating for these films and absolute kickass orcs.

Notice that the Fili concept art is clearly based on Rob Kazinsky's face. ;)

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Dec 24 2013, 4:14pm

Post #6 of 7 (39 views)
Shortcut
very cool [In reply to] Can't Post

The Thrain armor is in the AuJ Art and Design book. I hope we see more of Nick's work in the fourth Chronicles book, Cloaks and Daggers.

Nice to see some of this on the internet.

Thanks for posting.

Gandy
Bree

Dec 24 2013, 4:30pm

Post #7 of 7 (44 views)
Shortcut
Moria gate [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone noticed "Thrain's prologue armour: Moria Gate Battle" and "Young Thorin's Armour at Moria Battle" and several other Moria related images??

Moria, huh? TABA? or cut from the film and our dreams?

EDIT:: Sorry totally forgot about the big battle scene in AUJFrown

(This post was edited by Gandy on Dec 24 2013, 4:34pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.