Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Are you serious? Tomorrow the last day DOS is playing in 3D?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2013, 10:23am

Post #26 of 34 (119 views)
Shortcut
Not four times [In reply to] Can't Post

In North America it did about 3.6 times the opening weekend. That would put DOS at 262m, $40m less than AUJ. It will probably need those $40m to hit a billion.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2013, 3:08pm

Post #27 of 34 (106 views)
Shortcut
some of my local theaters are pulling it soon and some are not [In reply to] Can't Post

My preferred theater has it's last showing of DOS in any format on the 26th, but there are several others that are still showing it, at least in 2D for a while longer after that. My mom was going to wait until much later to take me to go see it again, but after this news, I think I'm going to work hard persuade her that if we're going to see it again, it's going to have to the 26th.

I think the whole thing is weird. I mean, hello theaters! It's the number one movie right now! Do y'all enjoy cutting you're profits short?Mad

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Dec 24 2013, 4:11pm

Post #28 of 34 (87 views)
Shortcut
You're lucky if only that were true for this New Yorker [In reply to] Can't Post

Many theaters are pulling all formats as of today and/or Thursday here in NY. So in my urban East Coast area this sadly is not the case.

So I think it comes down to not making the money.

Enjoy it.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 24 2013, 7:25pm

Post #29 of 34 (76 views)
Shortcut
Stupid [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand cutting it back I guess if it's only a 4-5 screen theater. If it's 10 or more it makes no sense at all to do so and doesn't show much business sense by that theater. I could see pulling it I suppose in another 2-3 weeks but you're leaving money in the table..

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 24 2013, 7:33pm

Post #30 of 34 (72 views)
Shortcut
But internationally AUJ.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... it was 5.17 times the opening weekend, so the average when weighting for the % is over 4 (I was being conservative by putting it at 4 times opening weekend). The US at 30% of total is a small player in this movie's Box Office. So $262m may be on the money for the US but that drop won't have a huge effect in the bigger scheme of things.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2013, 7:46pm

Post #31 of 34 (71 views)
Shortcut
No it won't have a huge effect [In reply to] Can't Post

But enough for it to maybe miss $1b.

Misto
Lorien

Dec 24 2013, 9:45pm

Post #32 of 34 (62 views)
Shortcut
Damn wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but the reality check would surprise you: the distributors decide A LOT more than you would ever imagine. Big studios like Warner are known to tell theatres (especially smaller ones) not only on what day to play a movie, but at which time and on which screen - as in: having to run the a movie, that is known not to make money in that particular cinema, on the biggest screen available at precisely time x and time y.
Especially for smaller cinemas it's usually: put up with our rules or you won't be playing any of our movies for a long time.

(This post was edited by Misto on Dec 24 2013, 9:46pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2013, 10:02pm

Post #33 of 34 (54 views)
Shortcut
Like i've said elsewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

That usually pertains for the first two weeks, after that time the theaters have a more free rein.

Anyway, in this case it sure as rain wasn't the studio's decision to pull the movie from that theater.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 24 2013, 10:04pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2013, 11:20pm

Post #34 of 34 (50 views)
Shortcut
Interestingly enough, according to BOM DOS is not losing any theaters this week [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's losing some and gaining others?

http://boxofficemojo.com/...amp;wk=52&p=.htm

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.