Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Where are the company at the beginning of DOS?

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 2:45am

Post #1 of 12 (915 views)
Shortcut
Where are the company at the beginning of DOS? Can't Post

At the end of AUJ the Eagles clearly fly the company out of the Misty Mountains and into a more forest-y region. At the beginning of DOS, when Bilbo is looking at Azog, we see the Orcs on Wargs riding across what looks like some very Misty Mountains-esque mountains, implying the company are very near some mountains. The view from the Carrock was endless trees and trees with no such mountains other than the ones they just passed. Anyone have an explanation?

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Dec 23 2013, 2:53am

Post #2 of 12 (523 views)
Shortcut
Wilderland [In reply to] Can't Post

And you're quite active in here ;-)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 23 2013, 3:00am

Post #3 of 12 (511 views)
Shortcut
Jackson's Middle-earth is smaller and more mountainous than Tolkien's. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly because that's what New Zealand looks like, I think.

(There's arguably an error in my subject line, since the name "Middle-earth" is never used in The Hobbit.)

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Dec 23 2013, 3:12am

Post #4 of 12 (496 views)
Shortcut
My assumption [In reply to] Can't Post

is that in PJ's Middle Earth, the Carrock is on the edge of the Misty Mountains. The other possibility is that there are mountains that JRRT didn't draw on his map near the Carrock . I prefer moving the Carrock to adding a previously unknown mountain range.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 3:15am

Post #5 of 12 (454 views)
Shortcut
Well i think [In reply to] Can't Post

Google middle earth should solve this problem.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 4:26am

Post #6 of 12 (385 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Google middle earth should solve this problem.

Cool

I am fire.. I am death. -Smaug the magnificent

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 2:01pm

Post #7 of 12 (245 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it's a little weird [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that i think about it. Why the mountain ranges, they just past the Misty Mountains as did Azog?

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 23 2013, 4:00pm

Post #8 of 12 (204 views)
Shortcut
Well the Carrock in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Is mostly surrounded by mountains. The view from there to the Lonely Mountain was fairly free but the party were heading to the elf road, so would have headed south first, rather than follow the line of sight.

The mountains we see in DOS must be along the way, I suppose, in the film geography.

nhui06
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 5:37pm

Post #9 of 12 (162 views)
Shortcut
Around Carrock. [In reply to] Can't Post

Carrock was surrounded by mountains:

http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Rock.png
In terms of day time vs night time, I assumed the Company made camp around that area to rest up and recover (especially Thorin, who was just attacked by a Warg and Azog). They probably figured they bought themselves some time with flying to rest up. The orcs however were still on the hunt the whole day, as evident in the beginning where you saw the Wargs running across the Mountains.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2013, 6:21pm

Post #10 of 12 (138 views)
Shortcut
But they don't look as high and they seem wooded [In reply to] Can't Post

Whereas the mountain range in DOS looked very high and barren, like the highest peaks of the Misty Mountains.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Dec 23 2013, 11:48pm

Post #11 of 12 (81 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

the elf road is north of the Carrock.

The Men-i-Naugrim is south, but they didn't want to take that way because it was too far south and too close to Dol Guldur.

Gaubdûkhimâ gagin yâkùlib Mahal

May we meet again with the grace of Mahal

"Mizimel. Her name is Mizimel, because children are and always will be the jewel of all jewels. They are the greatest treasure one could ever have."

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 24 2013, 12:04am

Post #12 of 12 (91 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes in the book but I seem to recall [In reply to] Can't Post

A movie related map indicating that Jackson's Carrock had been moved to the North, relative to its position in the text. Although now that I come to look for it it's not to hand - maybe in that first film companion book that came out?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.