Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Are the Weta Workshop Art and Design Hobbit books worth getting?

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 22 2013, 11:52pm

Post #1 of 6 (750 views)
Shortcut
Are the Weta Workshop Art and Design Hobbit books worth getting? Can't Post

Are they quick things you flick through with few pictures or are they rather thick with juicy information?

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 12:05am

Post #2 of 6 (586 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't bought any of them, then I saw the DOS Art & Design book on a shelf at Target (a few days before it was supposed to be released) and immediately went home and ordered it, since the cashier wouldn't sell it to me. In my opinion it's much higher quality than the "Art of LOTR" books that came out 10 years ago. First of all, it's a really big book and the cover has a nice leathery feel. The pages are stuffed with drawings and commentary by the artists and cast members (over 1,000 drawings and paintings). It's neat to see the unused concept art for some of the characters/places like the Lonely Mountain, Beorn, Thranduil, etc. There's even concept art for Thrain. The DOS book comes with a fold out replica of the portait of the Master that was in the movie, and the AUJ book comes with a replica of Bilbo's contract that you can read and a copy of Thorin's map.

I only have the DOS Art & Design book, but I liked it so much I went and ordered the one for AUJ. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I didn't buy the one for AUJ when it came out because I figured all this stuff would just be on the EE dvd anyway like it was for LOTR, but it wasn't.

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 23 2013, 12:07am

Post #3 of 6 (540 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have taken your word and ordered it

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Dec 23 2013, 1:14am

Post #4 of 6 (528 views)
Shortcut
Yes Yes and Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I say yes.

I've had many behind the scenes books for films. These are just the most amazing and beautifully done looks at character, costume, prop and set design.

I love make up and costumes as a gateway to creating characters. So these have been particularly geeky for me. The DoS is the only the one of the three I am mildly disappointed about, but I do hope the upcoming 4th volume
makes up for that.

I also prefer man of the unused superior concepts shown in these books as opposed to the films, but I am grateful we can see all this creativity in such a well done product.

Definitely worth every penny.

I hope more film books come close to the wonderful execution, information and imagery that these Weta books do.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 23 2013, 7:00pm

Post #5 of 6 (446 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating detail, beautifully produced, they have helped me appreciate the movies and the enormous effort behind them, and surprisingly don't "ruin the movies for me" they enhance them.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 30 2013, 9:52am

Post #6 of 6 (490 views)
Shortcut
Got the one in the window [In reply to] Can't Post

There were only 2 copies for sale in my whole city, and today I bought one of them (the in-the-shop window copy). What a fantastic book. Partly due to the interesting source material (Beorn,s house, Mirkwood, Woodland Realm, Laketown, Erebor) Alan Lee and John Howe produced some incredible concept art drawings and paintings. You won't want to just flick through it, and if by chance you like to do fantasy art drawing, you can also learn a lot from this book. Highly recommended.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.