Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Eyes of the Dragons, from Glaurung to movie Smaug, and a little nod to Ancient Elder Days

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 20 2013, 10:17pm

Post #1 of 11 (745 views)
Shortcut
The Eyes of the Dragons, from Glaurung to movie Smaug, and a little nod to Ancient Elder Days Can't Post

Smaug fixes his eye on where he believes Bilbo to be. Bilbo gazes in... and is compelled into taking off his Ring. I know in the text it was just the voice of the Dragon that lured him to consider this, but I actually really enjoyed the way the film handled it. It hearkened greatly to Glaurung, whose eyes cast malovelnt spells and enforced his will on those less than himself.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 20 2013, 10:28pm

Post #2 of 11 (541 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't say it any better myself.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 20 2013, 10:31pm

Post #3 of 11 (532 views)
Shortcut
Magnificent [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile I consider it high praise. Glad you enjoyed.

In Reply To
I couldn't say it any better myself.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Fili
Lorien

Dec 20 2013, 10:51pm

Post #4 of 11 (497 views)
Shortcut
Awesome Connection [In reply to] Can't Post

I had fixated on the voice of Smaug an its reverberation, but you are absolutely right!

Thank goodness Bilbo had enough sense not to reveal his true name.

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 20 2013, 11:05pm

Post #5 of 11 (494 views)
Shortcut
I made the same connection! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the idea of a Children of Hurin film starting with the scene of Glaurung dying and zooming into his eye and telling it all as a flashback. I'm fascinated by the false truths seen in dragon's eyes, so I immediately thought of this when I saw the effect of Smaug's eye.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Dec 20 2013, 11:08pm)

Retro315
Rivendell

Dec 20 2013, 11:12pm

Post #6 of 11 (484 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is second only to Glaurung for me (although, evolution-wise, superior in the flight-category!). There'll always be the mention of Ancalagon the Black, but that character was brought out for all of about a paragraph, for the express purpose of being smote. There was no hoard or underground kingdom usurped or legendary stories of the heroes, or underdogs who had personal dealings with Ancalagon.

So any Glaurung-ness from Smaug is such a welcome addition. Weirdness, hypnotism, insight, knowing things he shouldn't ... stupendous.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Dec 21 2013, 12:18am

Post #7 of 11 (460 views)
Shortcut
Beast of Gondolin [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't there one referred to as the Beast of Gondolin that was monstrous in size and rode by Balrogs during the fall of Gondolin? That one always seemed impressive by description.

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 21 2013, 12:25am

Post #8 of 11 (440 views)
Shortcut
Yes - the Mirror of the Dragon's Eye! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love the idea of a Children of Hurin film starting with the scene of Glaurung dying and zooming into his eye and telling it all as a flashback. I'm fascinated by the false truths seen in dragon's eyes, so I immediately thought of this when I saw the effect of Smaug's eye.
Like the opposite force of Galadriel's Mirror - it finds weakness, and shows the darkest outcome and twists the truth, versus showing merely what may be.
Great connection here, AO! Angelic

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in March, 2014. We hope to see you there!

morgoth834
Bree

Dec 21 2013, 12:30am

Post #9 of 11 (440 views)
Shortcut
Very cool [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Smaug fixes his eye on where he believes Bilbo to be. Bilbo gazes in... and is compelled into taking off his Ring. I know in the text it was just the voice of the Dragon that lured him to consider this, but I actually really enjoyed the way the film handled it. It hearkened greatly to Glaurung, whose eyes cast malovelnt spells and enforced his will on those less than himself.

Hah. Awesome I didn't even notice that.

I kill where I wish and none dare resist.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 21 2013, 1:12am

Post #10 of 11 (417 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I've been reading Children of Hurin of late, and that, almost identical to [In reply to] Can't Post

its relaying in The Silmarillion, segues perfectly, though it came to mind the first time I saw it in the movie.

In Reply To

In Reply To
Like the opposite force of Galadriel's Mirror - it finds weakness, and shows the darkest outcome and twists the truth, versus showing merely what may be.
Great connection here, AO! Angelic

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2013, 1:36am

Post #11 of 11 (412 views)
Shortcut
I LOLed a bit at this!! Totally quotable!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...Ancalagon the Black, but that character was brought out for all of about a paragraph, for the express purpose of being smote. (My Emphasis)

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.