Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** ANSWERS to Jan 13 game & board issues

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 20 2008, 6:03pm

Post #1 of 8 (4683 views)
Shortcut
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** ANSWERS to Jan 13 game & board issues Can't Post

First, I'd like to briefly touch on the increased number of threads in the movie boards these days. Us die hards, who never left this board, are used to our regular, structured discussions sticking around for approximately a week. The default settings for the forum is for 15 threads to show up on the first page. If you have not changed this setting, as I speak, you would be missing some of the threads posted in the last 7 days.

To change your settings, click

choose

enter number on Forum threads / page line

As you can see, I have mine at 25. But for this week, it would only have required 20 to see all the threads.

But maybe you don't want to see threads from 7 days ago. Whatever suits you is fine, I just wanted people to be aware of how they could choose.

Now to trivia answers.

1. What day of the year do the Ringwraiths cross the River Isen to look for the Ring?
MIdsummer's Eve

Saruman: ... disguised as riders in black.

2. What door icon does Gandalf first touch with is staff to try to open Moria's West Gate?
A star

(And that screenshot is lightened some...)

From the book:
At the top, as high as Gandalf could reach, was an arch of interlacing letters in an Elvish character. Below, though the threads were in places blurred or broken, the outline could be seen of an anvil and a hammer surmounted by a crown with seven stars. Beneath these again were two trees, each bearing crescent moons. More clearly than all else there shone forth in the middle of the door a single star with many rays.
`There are the emblems of Durin!' cried Gimli.
`And there is the Tree of the High Elves!' said Legolas.
`And the Star of the House of Fëanor,' said Gandalf.
Sador wondered if we saw Durin's emblems. We do. Here's a better shot of the door in the movie.

And, by comparison, here's Tolkien's own illustration:

What all this closer attention has made me wonder is about this bit: Beneath these again were two trees, each bearing crescent moons.
Where are the crescent moons?
More movie trivia: the reflective material on the doors had some sort of papery covering that needed to be peeled off before it would reflect. The work on the door was so last minute that they were peeling off paper just seconds before shooting and not all the paper got peeled off. Can you find the lines that are missing? This isn't terribly problematic since the door is described in the book has having broken and missing lines.
Even more movie trivia: Even though I'd been working on the singing in FOTR since the fall of 2002, I had completely missed that there was singing as they approached the door. It took the Complete Recordings of the FOTR to point that out to me. The source text is called "Gandalf at the Door to Moria" and the Sindarin and English lyrics are this:
Gandalf at the Door to Moria
Galad Fëanor
danna or thâd gwaith
beinas sin goeol
írith sin bara

The light of Fëanor
Falls on two peoples
Such terrible beauty
Such burning desire
To listen to a sound clip, download THIS ZIPPED AUDIO FILE.
For more info on the lyrics, visit THIS PAGE on my site.

whew... that was only question 2.

3. Which Elf calls Saruman "Sauron's puppet" : Elrond, Galadriel, or Legolas?
Galadriel

Galadriel in telepathy (voice over) with Elrond: Sauron will use his puppet Saruman to destroy the people of Rohan.
Gandalf also uses this term with Aragorn at night in Rohan: He will use his puppet Saruman to destroy Rohan.
But of course, Gandalf is not an Elf.

4. What does Treebeard say when Pippin picks up the Palantír from the waters of Isengard?
Treebeard: Bless my bark!

5. What alerts Faramir in Osgiliath that the Orcs are not attacking from the north?
A sentry watching the water being killed by an orc arrow.

Madril: It's been very quiet across the river. The orcs are lying low. The garrison may have moved out. We've sent scouts to Cair Andros. If the orcs attack from the north, we'll have some warning.
[One of Faramir's men sees the boats approaching]
Gothmog: Kill him!
[An orc kills the sentry. He falls down the steps with a clatter. Faramir and Madril rush over to see what has happened. They see that he's been killed by an orc arrow.]
Faramir: They're not coming from the north. To the river, quick, quick!
6. What kind of prosthetic device was worn by Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee and Brad Dourif in the films?
A nose

Dernwyn wrote: Brad wore a fake nose too?
An even better picture of his nose is one weaver posted HERE.

Elberbeth wrote : To me, Gandalf's nose looks slightly different in the Isengard scenes than elsewhere.
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing appendices/commentary material that they had a hard time deciding on Gandalf's nose and it did change quite a bit until they settled on a final version.

Scores:

Ainu Laire : 6

Alcarcalime : 5

Ataahua : 4.66 (she got two of the three answers for # 6 correct)

Darkstone : 0 but much amusement (and please...whisper those illicit AC/DC lyrics to me)

Dernwyn : 3 (sorry, no credit for 'bless my beard')

Elberbeth : 6

FarFromHome : 5

Hasufel : 5

Looke : 6

Mar : 0 but much amusement

Menelwyn : 6

Sador : 5

TolkienPurest : 6

Owlyross : 1 but much amusement (and a finger wag at your #4 answer)

weaver : 5

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 20 2008, 8:59pm

Post #2 of 8 (4297 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the answers and the illustrated tech help... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you know from having walked me through several tech things that I tend to get like a deer in the headlights when I read things like "edit profile". So I really appreciated your visual images and I have finally been able to do the reset thing you advise. Much appreciated for the technologically impaired like me who need drawings to figure anything like this out!

On the crescent moon question -- on Tolkien's illustration, I guess the stylized leaves could be seen as being crescent moons. In the film version, the additional curving of the leaves is absent. My guess is that it was a level of detail more than they could pull off in the time they had and with the problems they were having with the reflective material.

It's a beautiful drawing though and a very fine movie scene, though, either way!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 20 2008, 9:04pm

Post #3 of 8 (4294 views)
Shortcut
crescent moons [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the stylized leaves could be seen as being crescent moons.

That's all I could come up with as well. But that really seemed to be pushing it.

I'm glad the tech images worked. I've been thinking about walking people through things, lately, and I think images like that are very helpful. Plus, I thought people were more likely to actually read my suggestion if I had images!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2008, 1:16am

Post #4 of 8 (4290 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it great? [In reply to] Can't Post

So much Board activity! And no doubt, it will get heavier as the Hobbit goes into production. (And I'm trying to keep up as best as possible! Crazy)

Would you have another link to Brad Dourif's, uh, nose? Neither Firefox nor Safari are able to open that link Frown...

No problem with the bark/beard! I'm so used to the book phrases, that my mind automatically switches the words. Doesn't help when trying to remember what people have said!Laugh

I am constantly amazed at how much singing Shore placed into the score. Thank you for that amazing "tidbit"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2008, 3:35am

Post #5 of 8 (4288 views)
Shortcut
link [In reply to] Can't Post

Try this

if that fails, it's weaver's post about Eowyn and Grima.

but it seems to work in my preview window.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2008, 4:07am

Post #6 of 8 (4279 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That works! Ah, that pic in the post below. Yep, there's the seam line!

It's fascinating, how a little bit of physical "tweaking" can make such a big difference in how we come to see the characters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 22 2008, 4:41am

Post #7 of 8 (4273 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the tech help on Edit Profile! [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie, you are quickly becoming the go-to person for all our technical questions!

And these images, by the way .... are these right from the DVD, from your computer? They look so sharp...

Didn't they also say that Ian's Gandalf-nose kept turning purple?

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2008, 5:21am

Post #8 of 8 (4543 views)
Shortcut
your welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie, you are quickly becoming the go-to person for all our technical questions!

I'm driven more by the educator in me. How does one convey new information in way that another can absorb it?

And these images, by the way .... are these right from the DVD, from your computer? They look so sharp...
Well, I kind of try to find them on the web but usually they don't have what I want. So I grab my own screenshots. I do admit that I mess with the brightness and contrast of most of them. The images are so dark you can't see anything, half the time! Doing this has made me appreciate not only how dark much of the movies is but also how lacking in color it is. They've deliberately taken out a lot of the color (desaturated) much of it.

Didn't they also say that Ian's Gandalf-nose kept turning purple?
I don't know... that could have been a color trivia question.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.