First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 8:27pm

Post #51 of 75 (8508 views)
Shortcut
Until I start handing out Rings... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder what the avatars are saying about the person they're attached to?

There's nothing to worry about!

Silent_Watcher
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 9:52pm

Post #52 of 75 (8545 views)
Shortcut
This place doesn't look familiar but [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad to be with you

Clue

Feb 19 2007, 1:58am

Post #53 of 75 (8588 views)
Shortcut
I'm feeling sad for a different reason. [In reply to] Can't Post

And that is that I wish I was joining this forum for the reason I originally joined TORn in December 2001: having just had one of the most enthralling movie-experiences of my life, and wanting to share the excitement with other LOTR enthusiasts. I'll never forget the screen fading to black with Frodo and Sam walking towards Mordor, and thinking "I have to wait another year to see the next installment!"

But that's the kind of thing to savor. And, though I'll withold judgement on The Hobbit film, I don't have the same anticipation for that movie as I did during that magical time we were waiting with baited breath for the next LOTR film.

Sandicomm
Bree

Feb 19 2007, 2:22am

Post #54 of 75 (8533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clue] I'm feeling sad for a different reason. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see you're using that handy-dandy Treize avatar. :) Mmm, Treize.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 2:55am

Post #55 of 75 (8529 views)
Shortcut
I do, a little. [In reply to] Can't Post

I look back on the old board and it looks kind of bleak and lonely. I'm sure in a few weeks this will feel like a place we've always been, but transitions can be hard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 5:30am

Post #56 of 75 (8531 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you here, SW. [In reply to] Can't Post

As you hadn't posted lately in the RR, you weren't on my list of the absent (though you'd joined the new boards before I compiled it anyway) but I should have remembered you, lately having re-read the poem you posted to last April's "Homeward Bound" discussion here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 12-18: Tim & Greg Hildebrandt.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 1:10pm

Post #57 of 75 (8542 views)
Shortcut
*in my best 'Life of Brian' voice* I don't. (nt) [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Silent_Watcher
The Shire

Feb 19 2007, 2:04pm

Post #58 of 75 (8495 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, N.E. Brigand [In reply to] Can't Post

for remembering this post.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 4:16pm

Post #59 of 75 (8508 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

It was so easy to see all the current threads in the old format, and also to reply to a specific one without necessarily reading the entire thread. (Sometimes I just read the ones that had been modded up!)

I'm not sure I have enough time to keep up with stuff in this format.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 4:39pm

Post #60 of 75 (8492 views)
Shortcut
Clue ... less? [In reply to] Can't Post

I? Good to see you here.

Now all the rest of us are the clueless i's.

TheOneRing.net – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 5:55pm

Post #61 of 75 (8495 views)
Shortcut
Oh, goodness, don't give up! [In reply to] Can't Post

In threaded mode, the new posts are either in bold, or have New beside them, depending on whether you're looking at the whole board or just one thread. It's not that hard to see whether you've opened a post or not. I'm getting used to this new format, thought I'm having dreams about it at night, so my brain must be processing it.

Clue

Feb 19 2007, 7:45pm

Post #62 of 75 (8440 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's what they used to call me. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was my name. Now, just plain Clue.

Thanks for the welcome, Aerlinn!

Annael
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 8:32pm

Post #63 of 75 (8509 views)
Shortcut
threaded mode [In reply to] Can't Post

I have figured out how to display posts in a kind of "outline" format. But I wish that when you view all the posts opened at once, ones replying to others would display under them and indented (like they do in Network54) instead of farther down depending on when they were made. Makes it easier to make sense of the conversation.

I won't give up, but I'll probably be selective about which threads I open - could mean I miss out on a lot, but I don't have time to open them all.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 3:35am

Post #64 of 75 (8467 views)
Shortcut
Oh cripes! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to see you! I was hoping you'd find your way back :) I hope the world has been treating you right.

You got me going with the reflection of the heady days when the films were on the big screen and we were fresh-captured by them.

I'm so glad you're here :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 20 2007, 6:18am

Post #65 of 75 (8449 views)
Shortcut
Well, that is cuse I was teasing! /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

Clue

Feb 20 2007, 6:08pm

Post #66 of 75 (8400 views)
Shortcut
thank you, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Life has been treating me okay. Great to see you as well!

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2007, 12:08am

Post #67 of 75 (8408 views)
Shortcut
That's a relief! /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 21 2007, 12:10am

Post #68 of 75 (8449 views)
Shortcut
yes - every time I go back to look at the old boards... (you're not the only one!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I too revisit the old boards just because I like the way they look... it feels like home. And yeah, I feel sad too that we've all moved house and the old house is sad and lonely now...

BUT we are all here together and we will soon settle in! One thing which is comforting me right now - I've just realised that an hour has passed when I meant to pop in here for five minutes! So clearly, this new board is as addictive as the old - which reassures me that we'll soon all feel perfectly happy here, if we don't already. Smile

I'm just worried that there are so MANY threads now - with main and OT - that I might miss 'chats' of which I want to be a part!

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 21 2007, 2:37am

Post #69 of 75 (8467 views)
Shortcut
me too...I am "watching threads" to see [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm just worried that there are so MANY threads now - with main and OT - that I might miss 'chats' of which I want to be a part!

This place is just so BIG!! I know I am missing threads I would be interested in, but just can't keep up. That's just the way it is! But I experimented with "watch thread" on this thread, and sure enough I got email notice that you had posted, so see? IT WORKS!

I am afraid people will think I'm rude if I miss some of the responses to posts I make, so am trying to remember to click "watch thread"...and trying to ignore the temptation to click that on ALL the threads!!

Sly

a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 3:20pm

Post #70 of 75 (8402 views)
Shortcut
I'll letcha know [In reply to] Can't Post

JUST KIDDING! I couldn't fight it any longer ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 3:31pm

Post #71 of 75 (8384 views)
Shortcut
re [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
JUST KIDDING! I couldn't fight it any longer ;)

Eeeeeewwwwwww Crazy

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 21 2007, 4:43pm

Post #72 of 75 (8414 views)
Shortcut
oo - good idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I must try the 'watching threads' function. Only downside is, I may end up spending even more of my work day here! Note to self - MUST get some work done sometime today... Wink

Advising Elf
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 4:52pm

Post #73 of 75 (8433 views)
Shortcut
I know exactly what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, that doesn't mean you're not weird. After all, *I'm* agreeing with you. ;o)

Our imaginations have made a real place out of TORn, just like they have of Middle Earth when we read LOTR. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not used to these new boards yet, but I haven't had much time until today to visit. It almost feels like going into a party that will have people that you know, but in a stranger's house.

"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone." - Mark Twain

Patty
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 9:32pm

Post #74 of 75 (8409 views)
Shortcut
Very well put. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Our imaginations have made a real place out of TORn, just like they have of Middle Earth when we read LOTR. There's nothing wrong with that.

Couldn't have said it better. I laugh at folks here at TORn just like I would if they were standing in the room with me. Imagination is a wonderful thing.

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

Timbo_mbadil
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 8:49pm

Post #75 of 75 (8926 views)
Shortcut
We fear change. [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, I'm sad, for a number of reasons. But hey, this is TOR.n! No matter what it looks or feels like, this will always be where I come home to.

Well, I should come up with something clever, shouldn't I?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.