The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien Illustrated: Fan Art V--Unique Visions

Sandicomm
Bree

Mar 3 2007, 3:31am

Post #1 of 17 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Illustrated: Fan Art V--Unique Visions Can't Post

Here's the final part of the discussion: artists with their own unique vision. I know we'll talk about Ezpeleta later on, so here are some (slightly) more sane images to discuss.

Aletheia Singleton

George Doutsiopoulos (I love this one with the hobbits! This is, to me, what Frodo should look like. They have such personality. And ink and bristol board is always a medium of choice!)

Rob Aaldjik

Steve Young (More 3D art. Hmm.)

GDI Knight

Alvaro Barros

Cor Blok

Klaus Ensikat

The Brothers Gentile
Laugh

Maura Boldi

Lea Sheler

Little Vinca

LSE

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2007, 3:50am

Post #2 of 17 (1720 views)
Shortcut
I really like the three Maura Boldi ones. [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel's face in the first one isn't very pretty, but I love the mallorn (even thought it's too unsubstantial a kind of tree to hold up a flet) and the carving on the throne.

I also like how the plants and the two trees frame the images in the second and third pieces. Where have I seen the four arches at the top of the last one before, I wonder?

Who or what is Baccador (the title of the second piece)? I thought at first the picture might be of Goldberry until I saw its title.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but I lost TX in a poker game.

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 3 2007, 4:01am

Post #3 of 17 (1725 views)
Shortcut
Nice one of Boromir! [In reply to] Can't Post

The ancient Greek/Egyptian/Mayan sort of imagery in which we have numerous characters who are half-naked is I think what gets many of us uptight about Ezpeleta. I have to say that the Brothers Gentile do much the same with Boromir! Laugh indeed! Smile

The problem with most rendered 3D art, particularly of landscapes, is that it is almost impossible to make a good landscape with it, because landscapes are basically fractal in their geometries. If you don't have something obstructing your field of view, what you wind up with is an endless flat plain with some interesting scenery in the foreground and maybe a background that is unrealistically far away. Rob Aaldjik's Laketown and Lorien both have this problem, as do Steve Young's Mt. Doom and some of his other's. Where vision is obstructed by topography, or if we are looking up at a mountain or something, rendered art can be good, although I have never seen rendered art do good mountains. Mountains are very fractal, and certain montane features associated with glaciers I have just never seen. It's not enough to just have snow on top!

Other artists often make mistakes in the events, and positions of objects.

Oh well, you can't get everything! Smile

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 3 2007, 4:02am

Post #4 of 17 (1711 views)
Shortcut
That one also looks Egypt-inspired... [In reply to] Can't Post

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Mar 3 2007, 4:47am

Post #5 of 17 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Digital landscapes don't have to look like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The problem with most rendered 3D art, particularly of landscapes, is that it is almost impossible to make a good landscape with it, because landscapes are basically fractal in their geometries.

That may have been true with the early generations of landscape-rendering software, but it's not true now. These days you can get some really top-notch effects. I've been working with landscape-rendering packages since the late 1980s and have seen incredible evolution as both hardware and software became more sophisticated. Look at some of the work coming out of e-on's Vue package, or Digital Element's World Builder. (Vue was used for some of the landscapes in the second Pirates of the Caribbean film, to e-on's great delight. And it's been my favorite program in recent years, so I was glad to see it get the publicity.)

That said, the artists shown here are using some very old-fashioned and primitive rendering packages. They look like stuff I was working with back in the early 1990s. It gets much better than that, believe me.

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Mar 3 2007, 4:51am

Post #6 of 17 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Baccador = Goldberry. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Who or what is Baccador (the title of the second piece)? I thought at first the picture might be of Goldberry until I saw its title.

"Baccador" is an Italian rendering of "Goldberry".

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2007, 5:57am

Post #7 of 17 (1708 views)
Shortcut
I agree about the George Doutsiopoulos [In reply to] Can't Post

hobbits; in an earlier discussion, people were commenting on how hard it was to draw convincing hobbits, but I think his are very convincing. Reminiscent of the movie characters, but clearly a different conception of what hobbits are.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 3 2007, 1:45pm

Post #8 of 17 (1712 views)
Shortcut
I love most of these, with the exception of the Brothers Gentile. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the ones you have selected are quite good in both concept and execution. I've seen other unique visions I enjoyed even though the technique was not so good. Thank you for introducing me to the pleasures of flipping through fan art. Perhaps I will do so more often in the future.

Why haven't I done so in the past? Perhaps because I wasn't sure it would tell me anything about Tolkien's vision of Middle-earth. But perhaps I could learn something from how other people visualize Middle-earth. I just can't figure out what. Even the best illustrations don't give me the "aha" moment of rereading the book, and noticing something I hadn't noticed before.

Singleton's drawing "Into the West" is hauntingly beautiful. I love the hint of dolphins below the surface of the water in the foreground, and the way the moonlight reflects on the water and illuminated the whole scene. I also like the fact that there is nothing obviously fantastical about the picture, which is how I imagine Tolkien's world -- a place where magic is beneath the surface, not in your face.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to save this post, and I have to go now. More later.

White Gull
Lorien

Mar 3 2007, 11:40pm

Post #9 of 17 (1684 views)
Shortcut
Another link or two: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://darklingwoods.com/...t_pages/Luthien.html

http://darklingwoods.com/...Elanor_the_Fair.html

http://darklingwoods.livejournal.com/5307.html

The last art isn't goldies, it's just posted at her site, but all of these are unique and lovely.

WG

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2007, 12:28am

Post #10 of 17 (1685 views)
Shortcut
Fan Art Sites - list [In reply to] Can't Post

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Fan aRT Sites

1. J.R.R. Tolkien Fan Art
3. LotR Fan Art Archive Site
3. Anor Ah Ithil - Fan Art – Anor Ah Ithil.net
4. Lord of the Rings Fan Art – TORc: The One Ring .com
5. Fan Art Section – TORn Creative Talents
6. TLOTR.COM Fan Stuff
7. Mini -shrine for Lord Of The Rings
8. Fan Art Directory – Council of Elrond Gallery: invited artists (950), works created by members (3405).
9. Fan Art – Ostatni Przyjazny Dom (Scandanavian?)
10. Rolozo Tolkien – TORn (Fan and Pro art mixed)
11. Tinuviel's Art Gallery – Tinuviel
12. The One Ring .net - Fan Art – TORn Fan Section
~~~~~~~~~
• Jon Bennett Gallery – J.R.R. Tolkien inspired images
• Art of Charlie Song -Fellowship of the Ring - and The Two Towers - Art of Charlie Song"

Websites Directory, my drawings, Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2007, 12:41am

Post #11 of 17 (1651 views)
Shortcut
More of Goldilocks Took art may be found on #5 of my list in post below /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2007, 10:43am

Post #12 of 17 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Mahalo Nui Loa [In reply to] Can't Post

this is the one I ike the best from your selection in this last thread.

Lea Sheler

My favorite images are Goldie's
http://darklingwoods.com/index.html
and:
http://www.freewebs.com/...etalents/visuals.htm
and new posts right now on the Fan Art Board.

Thank you for leading this weeks discussion, my favorite moment was when curious sad in a header in response to your comments:
"Curious doesn't know what he is talking about."
wonderfully delightful!

DoN

Owlyross
Rohan

Mar 5 2007, 11:22am

Post #13 of 17 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aletheia Singleton
Nice sailing away pic. She seems to have a Xena warrior picture that's interesting. Not sure who it's of though. The Luthien (?) in the blue dress is very nice as well.
George Doutsiopoulos (I love this one with the hobbits! This is, to me, what Frodo should look like. They have such personality. And ink and bristol board is always a medium of choice!)
I like these graphic novel inspired pics. The Gimli and Legolas arguing is excellent, and Gandalf in full fury is actually pretty scary. Beware all Balrogs!
Rob Aaldjik
I've seen these computery ones before. Not a fan to be honest. It's too clinical, too clean, and doesn't really work in terms of illustrating Tolkien. They just look like computer game backdrops. His Mordor is ok though.
Steve Young (More 3D art. Hmm.)
These are much like the previous, just not as well done. I'll leave it at that. There's no soul in them, and no connection to the subject.
GDI Knight
These are slightly better, a little bit more work has gone into characters but there's still a lack of emotion. The computer images have a long way to go before they qualify as art imho.
Alvaro Barros
I like the use of shadows and darkness. Very foreboding and very demonic, especially the WiKi. I like em.
Cor Blok
I like Amon Hen, and I like the Hornburg. A lot. The others I'm not so keen on. It works in portraying the unportrayable, and also in terms of being medieavalist. I just guess I prefer realism, even if it is realism in the fantastical.
Klaus Ensikat
The little tableaus remind me of Escher, in the way they are drawn. But Gollum isn't a frog... I kinda like em, but I don't think they illustrate Tolkien to me. It's nice to see a totally different interpretation. They seem to sit with fairy tale illustration of the German tradition, and as he's German that makes sense.
The Brothers Gentile Laugh
I don't like it. I don't like the use of religious imagery. And is that supposed to be Aragorn? It looks like Mary Magdelene.
Maura Boldi
These are nice, very much like mediaeval art in the framing, or in the way that they pick a certain scene and don't illustrate the outsides, just the subject.
Lea Sheler
I like the first one. A book cover? Nice use of bookending with the trees.And is that Nuclear Galadriel?
Little Vinca
Interesting... Isn't that just screen-grabs from the film with a posterize setting from Photoshop over the top?
LSE
Oh... Cutesy... Yay... Having said that, if the last one is Sam and Rosie, I quite like that. And the one of Pippin eating the apple. They're just too sickly sweet for me.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Goldie Took
The Shire

Mar 5 2007, 6:30pm

Post #14 of 17 (1639 views)
Shortcut
another fan artist :) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...s/boldi/swanship.jpg well I'm smitten with this one ! by Maura .. thanks for sharing I've never seen her work!

btw I feel strange popping in on this! a thank you to those who count my work in your faves, its nice to be remembered Heart

Sandicomm
Bree

Mar 9 2007, 9:17pm

Post #15 of 17 (1611 views)
Shortcut
Goldie~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Why wouldn't you be, Goldie? I'm glad you came to the discussion. (Maura Boldi's work reminded me of yours, actually.)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2007, 1:29am

Post #16 of 17 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Please do [In reply to] Can't Post

keep popping in, it's so nice to have such talented artists among us!

(And your Elanor is one of my favoritests!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Confusticate and bebother these dwarves!"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2007, 1:34am

Post #17 of 17 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Sandicomm [In reply to] Can't Post

for putting all these together - what an extensive amount of artwork there is! I must admit to be overwhelmed by the volume of it, but it's fantastic to note all the different styles and techniques. This has been very enlightening!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Confusticate and bebother these dwarves!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.