Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So what were your movie highlights?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2013, 9:21am

Post #1 of 23 (557 views)
Shortcut
So what were your movie highlights? Can't Post

The close-ups of Smaug blew me away - what a magnificent creation the dragon is. Near the end, when Smaug was taking a close look at the golden statue, the look of wonder on his face was breath-taking.

Lee Pace! Thranduil was more glorious than I had expected, especially his physical movements. I think everyone in the theatre held their breath when he did that little turn to go *right* into Thorin's face.

Legolas's fight scenes were fun and fast and hugely enjoyable to watch. I admit that a big reason for me to see DOS a second time is to get more detail from his fights.

So, what did you particularly enjoy?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 9:23am

Post #2 of 23 (345 views)
Shortcut
all of it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like I would have liked to have seen a little (or a lot) more of everything.

Everything.

All the things.

And I'm tired ...

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 9:29am

Post #3 of 23 (339 views)
Shortcut
spiders, barrel ride, Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

these three setpieces knocked the ball way, way out of the park for me. unfortunately, Smaug ran an extra lap around the bases to show off, but no biggie since he sorta earned it.

Dol Guldur was also cool. liked a lot of other things, especially the effects of the Ring on Bilbo and--WHAT?!--the last conversation between Tauriel and Kili...but the three things in my subject line were my highlights.

marcuspaine
Bree

Dec 13 2013, 9:30am

Post #4 of 23 (342 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's wonder-struck expression at the statue blew me away... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the most incredible CGI I've ever seen.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 9:40am

Post #5 of 23 (316 views)
Shortcut
Smaug! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the pacing of the theatrical as well. Very well done! I'm very much looking for to the EE to help flesh out things a bit, but for a theatrical version it's about perfect.

I like nearly every bit of it, save Dwarf head hopping, and Lake Town really wasn't my favorite section either, but not done bad at all.

Oh, and Dol Guldur and Gandalf..dang, I wanted more of this! Too many great parts, and I'm very tired. I loved it!

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 9:47am

Post #6 of 23 (313 views)
Shortcut
A lot of things, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I really loved it, not going to lie.

Some of my highlights were:

-Smaug, Smaug and everything/anything Smaug
-"I am... Death"
-The little bit of Beorn we got to see
-The amazing, I repeat amazing, improvements on Azog's CGI
-The Barrels, best action scene I've ever seen
-Bombur's shining moment
-Spiders
-Laketown
-Sauron's reveal, chills (and I didn't think I'd like it to be honest)
-Bolg and Legolas' pretty brutal fight
-Thranduil
-Bilbo realizing he just went crazy on that weird crab-looking thing

These all come to mind. Plenty more I loved, but can't quite remember evrerything. There are few things I disliked about it. Overall, I had a blast with this film, and unlike last year with AUJ, the more I think about DoS, the more I absolutely love it. Cant wait for the EE and TaBA!

"Seriously, why was the scene with CGI dwarf ass NOT in the theatrical cut?!"

acigos00
The Shire

Dec 13 2013, 9:53am

Post #7 of 23 (293 views)
Shortcut
GANDALF!! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzU1BEdinRc

:D
A cool massage from Ian Mckellen

(This post was edited by acigos00 on Dec 13 2013, 9:53am)

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 9:56am

Post #8 of 23 (267 views)
Shortcut
The whole thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it right after AUJ so if I'm seeming to be tired, yup, I am.

NOTHING disappointed me. Not any of the acting, lines, scenery, CGI, story line.

Favorite parts were any with Legolas (sue me!), Smaug searching for Bilbo and then the Dwarves. Smaug talking. Smaug gazing in awe at the statue. SMAUG FLYING!
Gandalf reluctantly going to Dol Guldur rather than meet the Dwarves at Erebor. He looked in pain making that decision.
Beorn both as bear and 'man'. Very impressive yet not overused. They put such work into his appearance and house that they could have been forgiven if they shot more of it.
MIRKWOOD! ELVEN KING'S HALLS. Sorry for shouting, but those really blew me away. I had been looking forward to them for a long time and they were even better than I expected.
Legolas and Tauriel's friendship. Tauriel's willingness to break the rules as well as Legolas' decision to follow her.
Legolas fighting.

Only thing I didn't like was the end. I could have watched another 3 hours.

THANK YOU PETER JACKSON!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2013, 9:58am

Post #9 of 23 (262 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
-Bombur's shining moment

That got a big laugh in the theatre! Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 10:00am

Post #10 of 23 (283 views)
Shortcut
PJ thinks it's the best of 5? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll needa see the EE and let DoS soak in before making a claim like that, because with it being very new and fresh on my mind I'm bias toward it.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 10:11am

Post #11 of 23 (255 views)
Shortcut
wow, i need to see it again [In reply to] Can't Post

just reading about our highlights is making me itch to see it again. this film is so insanely detailed, it is a lot to take in. AUJ had more of a clarity about it, which was cool, but this one just feels so ALIVE, especially in the action sequences and how clearly inspired the team was in bringing some of these new locales to life.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2013, 10:15am

Post #12 of 23 (284 views)
Shortcut
One that I haven't seen mentioned much yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

was the confrontation between Gandalf and the Necromancer. It's just spine-tingling, seeing Gandalf using his full Wizardly powers (he's not just a funny old grey man!) against a being just as powerful (ok, maybe a bit more so). I wish Gandalf had a line as good as "You Shall Not Pass!!!" here, but it's fine as is. I love this scene.

I love the tenderness Thorin shows towards Kili, when he tells Kili to stay in Laketown and get healed. And how Fili refuses to do what Thorin says is his duty, but chooses to stay with his brother instead. We finally get to hear them (ok, Fili) call Thorin "Uncle". And then Thorin doesn't pull rank and order Fili to go with the Company; he lets Fili stay. Thorin's being a good Uncle there, rather than a stone-cold Leader, and I love seeing that side of him.

Thranduil going nose-to-nose with Thorin is a huge highlight, as I mentioned elsewhere. I could watch *that* scene over and over and over again.

I really loved seeing Legolas in full bada** Elvish princeling fight mode again. I'm so glad he's in this movie!

LOVED Thorin's proud stance in front of the Master of Laketown, as he declares "We are the Dwarves of Erebor!" Spine-tingling. Probably my favourite Thorin-moment, at least right now. And the snow falling in that scene just totally fits. So atmospheric. Love that scene!

I love Bilbo realizing the flaw in his plan, after he's let all the barrels drop into the river via the trapdoor! Martin Freeman just nails that scene. Too funny.

I know there's more, but that's what comes to mind first right now. I could probably add that any scene with Thorin, Legolas, and/or Thranduil is pretty much a highlight. Doesn't really matter what they're doing, because I could watch all three of them watching paint dry all day long. Especially if Thranduil has artfully draped himself on his antler throne.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2013, 10:25am

Post #13 of 23 (232 views)
Shortcut
A massage, from Ian McKellan?!? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

A cool massage from Ian Mckellen

Well, these have been known in the past as the "Massage Boards", so I guess that's fitting! Tongue

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 10:30am

Post #14 of 23 (210 views)
Shortcut
I concur! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
was the confrontation between Gandalf and the Necromancer. It's just spine-tingling, seeing Gandalf using his full Wizardly powers (he's not just a funny old grey man!) against a being just as powerful (ok, maybe a bit more so). I wish Gandalf had a line as good as "You Shall Not Pass!!!" here, but it's fine as is. I love this scene..

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 10:38am

Post #15 of 23 (204 views)
Shortcut
Mine: [In reply to] Can't Post

1)Gandalf vs Necromancer.The absolute highlight,spine chilling sequence of that film
2)Thrandul/Thorin
3)Smaug and Bilbo

Ruijor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 11:02am

Post #16 of 23 (198 views)
Shortcut
My highlights would be: [In reply to] Can't Post

- Smaug the Magnificent. Now there´s a Dragon for the ages! That last shot heading to Lake Town after saying "I am...Death" is pure gold

- The entire Mirwood sequence when they lost their way until the fithing of the spiders and specially that scene when we see the Ring taking over Bilbo

- The classy King Thranduil. Tha scene when he cuts the orc´s head and the speech he delivers, so cool

- The all Dol Guldur face off between Gandalf and Sauron, when we see that silhouette from First Age incarnation. Simbolic and foreshadowing what´s coming

- When Legolas asks Gloin while looking at a portrait of Gimli: "And who is this ugly creature?" Priceless

(This post was edited by Ruijor on Dec 13 2013, 11:08am)

Rickster
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 11:49am

Post #17 of 23 (163 views)
Shortcut
Don't [In reply to] Can't Post

don't forget the running dwarfs, with the fattest of them all running past them .... grin
That made the Dutch audiance laugh hard..
The Beorn Bear Man is fantastic. - fun though that his house (he must have made it) is still too low for him)
The face of Thranduil
After this weekend I will see it again on wednessday for a second time after watching the EE version of movie one on Tuesday

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2013, 3:55pm

Post #18 of 23 (100 views)
Shortcut
After Smaug: Lake-town! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I must say I share the Master's misgivings about the idea of elections, at least until the Lake-towners manage to cure themselves of their habit of agreeing with whomever spoke last.

What business does a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, and a hobbit have in the Rivenmark?

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 6:25pm

Post #19 of 23 (84 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Barrel chase (BOMBUR!!!!).

Thorin and Balin entering Erebor (yeah, I choked up right along with them).

Stephen Fry rules the land.

Smaug... omfg Smaug. Benghazi Cabbagepatch was spectacular.

The whole Dol Guldur sequence was brilliant - Sauron as a black swirling smoke thingy looked amazing. And as I stated in my thread - the re-use of the Minas Morgul theme from ROTK really put the button on it.

Martin Freeman also rules the land.

Nice detail that Bilbo could understand the spiders once he put the ring on

The Tudor design of Lake Town.

Orcs looked great.

Tauriel was a complete success. I even liked Legolas, which I didn't think I would.

Film overall looks way better than AUJ. Less colorful and fairytale-ish, more reminiscent of the look of LOTR.

The fact that it had been so long since I read the book that I didn't know what was faithful and what had been changed.

Beorn looked cool (both as a man and as a bear) but his sequence was so short that it's impressive it's even in the film. If he didn't play an important part in the third film, he would've gone the way of Bombadill.

(This post was edited by Runk Snusgrop on Dec 13 2013, 6:27pm)

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 6:44pm

Post #20 of 23 (66 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

One more thing:

I really REALLY liked how both elves and orcs spoke their own language for large chunks of the film, compared to LOTR.

In fact, the orcs NEVER spoke English, as far I can recall.

That's awesome.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2013, 6:47pm

Post #21 of 23 (69 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo. Loved Freeman's acting and his style especially with Smaug and also when he realizes he left himself out of the barrel situation.

Smaug. Awesome job. Best dragon ever. Loved the voice and Cumberbatch's MoCap. Excellent job.

Thranduil and Bard. I thought these two were very well done. I enjoyed both and thought both really deepened their characters in the story.

Spiders. Huge improvement over Shelob IMO. Much scarrier. Great design on those and they were the rightg size. Loved hearing them talk when Bilbo had the ring on that was a fantastic addition.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

willowing
Lorien

Dec 13 2013, 7:49pm

Post #22 of 23 (49 views)
Shortcut
Those beautiful black and white ponies at Beorn's Place [In reply to] Can't Post

The huge bumble bees flying over Bilbo and the animals in the stall. Magical Cool

adu
Bree

Dec 15 2013, 2:54am

Post #23 of 23 (20 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same way... [In reply to] Can't Post

about the Legolas fight scenes...they were very impressive but very quick, the movie would be worth re-watching just for those...also for Freeman's amazing acting as Bilbo....and everything with Smaug....the magnificent.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.