Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I miss AUJ's "deliberate pace".

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 9:02am

Post #1 of 11 (511 views)
Shortcut
I miss AUJ's "deliberate pace". Can't Post

I really enjoyed The Desolation of Smaug, but I got the impression that PJ took some of the criticism (about the pace) from the previous movie to heart. And it ended up causing the second film to feel somewhat rushed.

Of course some people (especially a lot of critics) seem to prefer what was done this time, but I personally miss the slower pace of the first movie.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Dec 13 2013, 9:03am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 9:19am

Post #2 of 11 (265 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first 2 hours of the film felt rushed to me too.I would like at least 30-35 minutes more.On the contrary,the last 30 minutes felt overlong.Missed the slow pace of AUJ.

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 9:20am

Post #3 of 11 (265 views)
Shortcut
The pace [In reply to] Can't Post

left me no time to think! And I am tired.
But I certainly enjoyed it!

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 9:23am

Post #4 of 11 (298 views)
Shortcut
i have a feeling the EE of DoS... [In reply to] Can't Post

will be a huge hit around here.

i agree with the end being too drawn out. i loved most of the action with Smaug, to be honest, but cumulatively it was too much. 5 minutes or so could have been cut. not a huge issue for me but definitely a slight damper on an otherwise effective conclusion.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 9:46am

Post #5 of 11 (222 views)
Shortcut
I think it was done on purpose [In reply to] Can't Post

but we will have a slightly different version come extended time, which works well for me too. Could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if about 30 minutes were attached to the extended.

The pacing was very different, but I like it for a theatrical version.

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 9:50am

Post #6 of 11 (217 views)
Shortcut
Yep ! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
will be a huge hit around here.

i agree with the end being too drawn out. i loved most of the action with Smaug, to be honest, but cumulatively it was too much. 5 minutes or so could have been cut. not a huge issue for me but definitely a slight damper on an otherwise effective conclusion.

Nailed it. Beorn is too short, Mirkwood too short, Woodland Realm, too short. Smaug part: slightly too long.

I love the movie and am going to see it again tomorrow and see if my perception changes, I feel like the HFR added to that feeling that some early parts are a bit rushed.

They clearly focus on Barrel ride, Laketown, Smaug, Erebor, etc, I get it.

Right now, I want more more Beorn, Thrain, more Mirkwood (really short compared to the book), more Woodland Realm, longer, drawn-out sequences, more Dol Guldur.

Basically more of everything. I think that with Smaug, it's such the attraction of the movie, and PJ is so happy to finally have him onscreen that Smaug outstays his welcome a LITTLE bit, like you say, they could have cut 5 min from that, and used those 5 min on other sequences.

The molten gold part was unnecessary, and yeah, I think critics are noxious: complaints about pace ------> Obvious effort on that part from PJ despite the movie still being 2 hours 40 min, and it makes the earliest parts rushed compared to the bulk of the movie.

I'm trying to imagine how it would have worked in 2 movies, everything would have been so rushed, we wouldnt have seen that much of everything even then.

Overall, I'm totally okay with it as I have always considered the extended editions of LOTR & now AUJ as my go-to editions.

Blunt the knives, bend them forks, smash the bottles and burn the corks.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates !

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 10:08am

Post #7 of 11 (186 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking all of those scenes in which you mentioned, will have extended cuts for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Ruijor
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 11:24am

Post #8 of 11 (144 views)
Shortcut
Well I would say to each his own... [In reply to] Can't Post

First movie need a slower pace of introductory purposes and building the momentum for the next one so that being said I thing the two movies are relatively well set, I´m expecting There And Back Again to be a mix of both, loads of action in Lake Town and BATA and then slowly calming with the return to the Shire...

(This post was edited by Ruijor on Dec 13 2013, 11:27am)

Wandelf
The Shire

Dec 13 2013, 11:25am

Post #9 of 11 (159 views)
Shortcut
Too much information, too fast in DOS 1st part. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dialogues are cut hastily, we don't linger at certain places as much as we should imho. As you said, Beorn, Mirkwood and the Thranduil's Halls are too short.

Funnily enough, almost every review of DoS mentions the so-called crawling pace of AUJ, which is ridiculous. They seem to be bothered by walking in the woods, traveling, talking etc. In short, they are bothered by Tolkien.

Name
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 11:35am

Post #10 of 11 (139 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Dialogues are cut hastily, we don't linger at certain places as much as we should imho. As you said, Beorn, Mirkwood and the Thranduil's Halls are too short.

Funnily enough, almost every review of DoS mentions the so-called crawling pace of AUJ, which is ridiculous. They seem to be bothered by walking in the woods, traveling, talking etc. In short, they are bothered by Tolkien.

I really believe some critics still think it's "cool" to hate on these movies. Clearly that's not the case, and they're embarrassing themselves.

My name is Name, which, name-wise, is a much better name than your first name, last name, or name's name could ever plan on naming themselves.

Rickster
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 12:00pm

Post #11 of 11 (125 views)
Shortcut
The Hurry [In reply to] Can't Post

But they have to be in a hurry.. PJ shows that well
In the first movie they are just on the move.. there is a little "we are going on a summer camp" feeling
UNTIL they reach Elf town and Elrond reads the map telling them they have (!) to hurry, as the lock will only be visual with the last (moon) light.
From than on they are no longer on a slow quest .. they are in a hurry and that is shown perfectly in DOS
It has notthing to do with Critics on the first movie. The movie becomes the rolercoaster that it is.. the stressy atmo sets in because they are in a hurry
P.J. does a great thing bringing that to us. This whole movie is soo much more than you think at first.
Everything has a function. and it works fantasticly .

That is by the way also the reason why the tempo changes as soon as they are in.
The need to hurry is gone and so the movie allows us to feel that too
It is not only the things that are IN the movie that matter in the whole story
It is the way P.J. is able to make us feel while we watch it. Perfect

(This post was edited by Rickster on Dec 13 2013, 12:01pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.