Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Reviews Thread - Part 20

haldad
Bree

Dec 13 2013, 4:16am

Post #1 of 15 (952 views)
Shortcut
Reviews Thread - Part 20 Can't Post

16 of the last 19 reviews on RT have been positive. Up to 74%. Things are starting to heat up

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 4:22am

Post #2 of 15 (487 views)
Shortcut
Might get certified as "fresh" yet [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I am sure there are plenty of rotten reviews to come. It seems to go in cycles. And with well over half the reviews still to come, there is a long way to go. It could definitely still go either up or down several points, at least.

Fun to watch, at least for me.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

(This post was edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Dec 13 2013, 4:23am)

haldad
Bree

Dec 13 2013, 4:40am

Post #3 of 15 (465 views)
Shortcut
A little bit of number crunching... [In reply to] Can't Post

because I have no life.

Based on the number of reviews last year, in order to match AUJ, the remaining reviews for DoS would have to be:

91 Positive
65 Negative

At this point, I think that it's safe to say that DoS will at the very least, match AUJ. Especially since there is the trend of either (1) Not liking either/any of the Hobbit movies, or (2) Liking DoS a bit more.

Very very few reviews (Maybe 1 or two?) gave AUJ a fresh score, and DoS a rotten.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 5:05am

Post #4 of 15 (489 views)
Shortcut
You are going to be shocked to hear how many went from fresh for AUJ to rotten for DoS so far [In reply to] Can't Post

Not one or two, as you thought. 17.
Here is the list:

Bad Ass Digest
Decent Film Guide
Detroit News
Financial Times
Little White Lies
Miami Herald
New York Post
Newark Star-Ledger
NPR (but a different reviewer)
Reeling Reviews (Robin Clifford)
Reel Views
Rolling Stone
School Library Journal
Slant
St. Louis Post Dispatch
The List
TV Guide's Movie Guide

That is considerably more than half of the 30 rotten reviews so far. Pretty amazing!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 7:23am

Post #5 of 15 (331 views)
Shortcut
Note all of these are US based [In reply to] Can't Post

...for a film with a 75% non US market - so does it matter at all? (if no-one in the US watched it all it would still be a huge hit) What are the other three quarters non US reviewers saying?? I think we are seeing a reflection on US reviewers (about a non US, but a kiwi movie) not broader non-US reviewers and film followers.

demnation
Rohan

Dec 13 2013, 7:44am

Post #6 of 15 (305 views)
Shortcut
You make an excellent point [In reply to] Can't Post

We Americans have a tendency to think we are the center of everything, and that extends to things as trivial as film reviews. It really does limit the critical perspective on the film, since people from different countries and cultural backgrounds might very well have different views of the film.

Hello!

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 9:38am

Post #7 of 15 (197 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for looking that up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a particularly good sign though.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 1:45pm

Post #8 of 15 (113 views)
Shortcut
Not so fast [In reply to] Can't Post

9 straight fresh reviews lift it all the way back to 75%. Are we seeing a surge in contrast to last year's plummet? Too soon to tell, but the early signs are certainly encouraging.

The Hall of Fire

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 13 2013, 2:17pm

Post #9 of 15 (102 views)
Shortcut
Now on 75% on Rotten tomatoes // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 2:50pm

Post #10 of 15 (75 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right.

I guess I try not to get too excited.

But certified fresh becomes a possibility.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 2:55pm

Post #11 of 15 (78 views)
Shortcut
It has been pointed out to me elsewhere that it only needs 65% to be certified fresh [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was 75%, but apparently not. AUJ appears to be certified as fresh, and it was at 65%. At least, it has the nice red tomato next to it, rather than the ugly green one.

The Hall of Fire

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 3:00pm

Post #12 of 15 (82 views)
Shortcut
Fresh and Certified Fresh [In reply to] Can't Post

There are two. I think below 60 is rotten, 60+ is fresh and 75+ is certified fresh.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 3:26pm

Post #13 of 15 (66 views)
Shortcut
Ah, okay [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

The Hall of Fire

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 3:33pm

Post #14 of 15 (67 views)
Shortcut
Here's what the RT faq says [In reply to] Can't Post

What is Certified Fresh?

Rotten Tomatoes awards the Certified Fresh accolade to theatrical releases reviewed by 40 or more critics (including 5 Top Critics) with a steady score of 75% or higher on the Tomatometer. A film remains Certified Fresh unless its Tomatometer falls below 70%. Reserved for the best-reviewed films, the Certified Fresh accolade constitutes a seal of approval, synonymous with quality.

The Hall of Fire

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2013, 4:20pm

Post #15 of 15 (62 views)
Shortcut
Also, with regard to who determines whether it is rotten or fresh [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we were both right. Here is what it says:

Most critics from the Online Film Critics Society (OFCS) enter their own quotes and ratings. For critics who don't enter in their own quotes and ratings, it's basically up to the judgment of the editors. They take into account word choice, rating (if any), tone, and who the critic is in their determination of whether a review is positive or not. If an editor is not certain about a review, it is sent to another editor for a second opinion. "Wishy-washy" reviews, reviews that are really difficult to determine if the critic recommends the film or not, are usually given a Rotten because if the critic is not confident enough to give the movie even an implied recommendation, then we shouldn't either.

If I am understanding it correctly the reviewers set the rating of fresh or rotten, unless they don't, in which case the RT editors do. So we were both right, in a way.

The Hall of Fire

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.