Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Any crafty Ringers here?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 4:11pm

Post #26 of 45 (125 views)
Shortcut
Watching the fabric colors, LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

That's funny about the circle fabric! - reminds me of the comment made by Anne Maskrey in the WETA books about having to give up a lovely fabric for Bilbo's vest, because in person it was beautiful, but on camera it was screamingly loud (tho the fabric they ended up with is perfect, IMO). Wish I could tell her that yes, there are folks out there that DO appreciate the lovely embroidery, and all the care done w. the costumes and sets.

So many beautifully made props in these movies catch my eye - the lovely kite hanging in Dale in AUJ in the market, and actually seeing the toys I had seen drawings of. AND, since I don't know much about cameras, I'd love a technical reason as to why the cameras were sucking all the red out of the makeup - can understand when surrounded by green screens, but to me that's interesting. One of the small things that strikes me is the little wooden figure churning butter in Bilbo's window - so perfect for a little knick-knack for a hobbit hole - who thinks of things like that? And every bit of pottery was hand made for Bag End!

The costume and set designers should think about giving talks and answering questions at some of the big fairs, maybe - tho maybe they can't, maybe some of the info is proprietary at least for now - like how the costumes are actually constructed (I want to know how the metal studding is attached to the dwarf costumes - some of it is stitching I can see, but not all). And I wish they would tour LOTR/Hobbit stuff at museums.

PS. Great thread topic! If PJ could have hired "crafty Ringers" - since we all work with our hands - to hair Hobbit feet on the set - and I would have been following the set and costume designers around like a puppy, LOL. They would have had to drag me from Bag End (and probably Beorn's house!)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2013, 4:47pm

Post #27 of 45 (113 views)
Shortcut
Musn't read this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Musn't read... ah.... failed.

I love knitting and cross stitching. But I don't have the time at the moment.

I've done a big cross stitch of the map of Middle-earth, all in green with on the outer sides images of the various movie characters. And now I'm working on one (well, was, it will probably be tucked away until july because of school work) that shows all the characters from AUJ, all in beige/brown colours. Really amazing. Loads of work, but sooo pretty.

Those gloves look amazing. I love the fingerless ones. You still have warm hands, but, as you say, can easily pick up stuff.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 5:27pm

Post #28 of 45 (99 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If PJ could have hired "crafty Ringers" - since we all work with our hands - to hair Hobbit feet on the set - and I would have been following the set and costume designers around like a puppy, LOL. They would have had to drag me from Bag End (and probably Beorn's house!)

Heck, they would have had to mop up my drool off of Beorn's house after they dragged me away for that matter!Tongue I can see why John Howe loved to just curl up in there for hours and draw.

I'd also love it if they would do what you said about the costume and set designers giving talks and about touring LotR/Hobbit stuff at museums. I'd be there in a heartbeat!Heart

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 5:28pm

Post #29 of 45 (97 views)
Shortcut
That sounds lovely! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've done a big cross stitch of the map of Middle-earth, all in green with on the outer sides images of the various movie characters. And now I'm working on one (well, was, it will probably be tucked away until july because of school work) that shows all the characters from AUJ, all in beige/brown colours. Really amazing. Loads of work, but sooo pretty.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 10 2013, 5:43pm

Post #30 of 45 (108 views)
Shortcut
I've done a few things :) [In reply to] Can't Post

My garage roof is the latest, and I've trimmed my front yard shrubbery into a dragon bush. I'm currently working on Bilbo's nightshirt and patchwork bathrobe. I've done a few (Frodo bids farewell) sketches and writing... al hook wall hangings/rugs, too.

GdT, Gandalf & Peter
Argonath

I've also made some costumes:

Wraith
Trelawney
Raggedy gramma
gammer

Tolkien has always been a wonderful inspiration :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
2nd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - Novembe 28, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2013, 6:24pm

Post #31 of 45 (93 views)
Shortcut
very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

We should start calling you "super-crafty grammaboodawg". I remember seeing your garage roof and dragon bush on the TORn homepage and thought they were awesome! I love your sketches and costumes too.Smile

Avandel
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 6:26pm

Post #32 of 45 (92 views)
Shortcut
Can only bow at the awesomeness [In reply to] Can't Post

That roof and bush! (Plus when you have barbecues and "get a fire going" LOL) And the COSTUMES! If you really are going to take on the wonderful jewel of the famous bathrobe and that lovely shirt, can only gaze in wonder. EVERYBODY loves the bathrobe!

(And totally agree with your sig - these movies have brought us into ME, again, and so many of us are happy! - and inspired, too.)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 12 2013, 8:42pm

Post #33 of 45 (74 views)
Shortcut
Well, I did crochet myself a dwarf beard [In reply to] Can't Post

to wear to AUJ. photo

Love your beautiful gloves!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2013, 8:52pm

Post #34 of 45 (72 views)
Shortcut
Love the beard! [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks greatSmile

Thank you!

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 4:38am

Post #35 of 45 (71 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is an incredible job! Well done!

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 13 2013, 4:47am

Post #36 of 45 (70 views)
Shortcut
I've also made [In reply to] Can't Post

this tapestry, I posted about it in Fan Art when I finished it, it took 6 months to make, it's 40cms wide x 100cms long.

Hope you like it Smile

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 13 2013, 4:47am

Post #37 of 45 (76 views)
Shortcut

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 13 2013, 1:13pm

Post #38 of 45 (67 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

How did you figure it out? Or did you use a pattern? That is incredible! Just beautiful. If tapestry was still the popular decor of the rich, then you'd be well off. Laugh

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 13 2013, 1:21pm

Post #39 of 45 (65 views)
Shortcut

I copied the designs from my Tolkien Drawing book, enlarging them to the size they are on the tapestry, fully coloured. Then traced the outlines onto the tapestry and followed the drawings I did for the colours on the tapestry.

LOL I'm not sure what I'd charge someone for one, with all the work that's involved. And I have found I prefer working on pieces for myself over making them for others, probably because I know I have to get it finished in a certain time when it's for someone else. When it's for me, I can take as long as I please BlushLaugh

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 15 2013, 2:31am

Post #40 of 45 (64 views)
Shortcut
Hey.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mind if I copy you pictures for reference? I think that'd be a awesome project, although one I'd have to hold off on for now--I have so many projects already going.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 15 2013, 3:08am

Post #41 of 45 (65 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

that's fine Smile

I know what you mean about so many projects, currently got four cross-stitches on the go, three are LOTR/Hobbit based (including the image I shared) Keeps me out of mischief... LaughAngelic

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 18 2013, 3:02am

Post #42 of 45 (51 views)
Shortcut
That's a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

Will you share pictures on the forum when your finished? Or do you have a blog or something where you share your projects? I have two blogs. (And I definitely wouldn't mind sharing your tapestry with my readers, if you'd like). Thanks for allowing me to save the picture!! I appreciate it!Cool

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 18 2013, 3:04am

Post #43 of 45 (51 views)
Shortcut
Just another question... [In reply to] Can't Post

What fabric did you stitch onto? It looks lovely. Very nice.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 18 2013, 3:23am

Post #44 of 45 (56 views)
Shortcut
Sorry bit confused [In reply to] Can't Post

do you mean the tapestry or the cross-stitch?

The tapestry was on a fine holed tapestry canvas (can't remember the exact size now) and the cross-stitch is on 18 count bone coloured aida.

My current one is on black 18 count aida fabric.

I will share it when it's finished, I usually post anything Tolkien related in Fan Art here or over in my DevArt page (which has a variety of stuff I've worked on over the years).http://kelvarhin.deviantart.com/gallery/

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 18 2013, 3:39pm

Post #45 of 45 (51 views)
Shortcut
Okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will look into that. Thanks!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.