Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo over six films

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 7:21pm

Post #1 of 11 (699 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo over six films Can't Post

It will be very interesting one day to finally be able to see all extended versions of the six films back to back over a weekend.
Im glad PJ gave Bilbo such a prominent role also in LOTR. It will mean so much more to us to see him old now that we have seen his incredible adventure as a younger man. And can you imagine not having tears at the end of ROTK when Bilbo is a very old man?

Bernhardina
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 7:36pm

Post #2 of 11 (409 views)
Shortcut
I recently re-watched FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, the way they blend these trilogies together is a great success IMO. I love the beginning of FOTR with all the references to AUJ (and they are many - even with two more movies to go!) and it makes the Shire sequences way more rich. It is executed how it should be, critics may complain about AUJ and how it is a LOTR-all over again-but-for-kids-movie but I will never understand why they think that's a bad thing.

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Dec 5 2013, 7:36pm)

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 7:42pm

Post #3 of 11 (352 views)
Shortcut
It's going to be even more emotional hearing Bilbo's last line in the films.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... "I think I'm quite ready for another adventure."

How absolutely perfect. Laugh

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 5 2013, 9:03pm

Post #4 of 11 (243 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

is ultimately what I am most excited about regarding the new trilogy.
I doubt that in the end The Hobbit will be 'better' or be an instant classic in the way that LOTR was
BUT,
what I think The Hobbit trilogy will do wonderfully is make LOTR an even better and more powerful trilogy to watch.
I am thrilled that PJ and co are taking us back to Middle-earth with this incredible story, and I really think it is going to enhance the LOTR watching experience.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2013, 9:28pm

Post #5 of 11 (203 views)
Shortcut
Where is Bilbo in TTT? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Dec 5 2013, 9:53pm

Post #6 of 11 (204 views)
Shortcut
he is... [In reply to] Can't Post

in our heart Wink

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 11:03pm

Post #7 of 11 (160 views)
Shortcut
That last line [In reply to] Can't Post

is delivered very well....I also love the hobble/shuffle Bilbo does at that point....bit of a spring back in his step it seemed to me....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 11:06pm

Post #8 of 11 (162 views)
Shortcut
I actually found Bilbo's appearance at the end of ROTK to be distracting [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really like the way they aged him think it would have been better to have made him look less 'aged'.

In FOTR, though, he was great.

In Reply To
And can you imagine not having tears at the end of ROTK when Bilbo is a very old man?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2013, 12:09am

Post #9 of 11 (144 views)
Shortcut
One of the true joys of the new trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

is Martin Freeman's Bilbo. And it's only going to make Ian Holm's already great Bilbo that much greater. It's going to be awesome to finally watch all six films (the EEs of course) in one sitting, and see Bilbo from a tiny little boy all the way to an old, old man. And i will do this-- all twenty plus hours.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Dec 6 2013, 12:12am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2013, 12:21am

Post #10 of 11 (125 views)
Shortcut
Old Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt the aging looked to overdone as well. The hair and the facial crags were too much. They could have done a much better job IMO.

The emotional weight was there. But yeah, the aging prosthetics they did I didn't think were the best.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 6 2013, 10:39am

Post #11 of 11 (51 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh yes!! That one's really lovely // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.