Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson Google+ hangout special event

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 7:02pm

Post #1 of 25 (1665 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson Google+ hangout special event Can't Post

I just watched the Google+ hangout wit Peter Jackson, Evangeline Lily and Richard Armitage! It was a bit over 30 minutes long with about 3 fun questions and one pretty deep one. I think you can still watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

A general synopsis:

The 3 fun questions were something along the lines on did anyone play pranks on set/ a question related to the make-up/prosthetics and something else I didn't quite hear (I was trying to make myself lunch and had my laptop on the kitchen table) The one deep question was something like "How did you (RA) find a way to relate to Thorin despite the controversial decisions he made?' This led to a good discussion between RA, PJ, and EL that I found very interesting.

THEN they showed a quick sneak peek of the movie! It was the part where Bilbo, while two elves are drunk/asleep at the table in the background, is trying to convince the dwarves to get in the barrels, releases the trap door, then realizes he doesn't have a barrel for himself. That was literally the entire clip. Like I said, it was just a quick sneak peek. It made me, once again, appreciate how awesome Martin Freeman is as Bilbo!

Then PJ, RA, and EL said a few quick goodbyes and that was the end of the special.

Anyone care to discuss?

StoneHex104
Rivendell

Dec 4 2013, 7:05pm

Post #2 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut
I was intrigued by the discussion of Thorin's intentions [In reply to] Can't Post

I was compelled by it since it wasn't biased, they gave the two sides of the situation, Bilbo signed the contract, but it is too risky to send a live Hobbit to a Dragon's Lair.

Now, going to the clip, I loved the moment when the latch closed and Bilbo steps into it and nothing happens, pure silence, hilarious!

book Gandalf
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 7:11pm

Post #3 of 25 (823 views)
Shortcut
spiders! [In reply to] Can't Post

im restricting myself to only offical clips and others tidbits, so it was nice to watch knowing i wasnt going to be over spoiled. annoyingly though id already seen the barrels clip at the fan event!

both that barrel clip and the orc capture clip were both shown at the fan event so i hope they release the spider clip aswell which was also shown, that will really hype everyone up for this film!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 7:17pm

Post #4 of 25 (778 views)
Shortcut
I've been trying [In reply to] Can't Post

really badly, to avoid too many spoilers and clips...but I really wanted to see the barrels clip and I loved it! It made my giddy with joy.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 7:19pm

Post #5 of 25 (788 views)
Shortcut
truly an excellent discussion, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always wondered why the dwarves did not seem to think beforehand about the fact that they were asking a Hobbit to confront a live dragon. I suppose it is easy at the beginning of the adventure to overlook the true danger of the journey ahead, but when that danger is right in front of you, only then do you truly begin to grasp the reality of the fact that you and your friends could die and the quest could fail. Then you have to think about the fact that everyone on the quest is there voluntarily, and like you said, Bilbo even signed a contract. He didn't have to do that; he wasn't forced. Yet you still have to question, is it right to make him go through with it now that everyone understands the gritty reality of the situation? Of course we know Bilbo does go through with it, but it is certainly good brain exercise to grapple with such topics!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 7:30pm

Post #6 of 25 (718 views)
Shortcut
ick! [In reply to] Can't Post

...if they release the spider clip, I won't be watching it. I hate spiders and I've already started questioning myself about planning to see DOS in IMAX 3D when there are giant spiders, but I'm determined to just get over it and see it in that format anyway. But it would be nice if they would release it for OTHER people to watch!Wink I agree, that would really increase hype, but personally, I only want to see the spiders ONCE.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 7:34pm

Post #7 of 25 (701 views)
Shortcut
Link doesn't work :( [In reply to] Can't Post

They have removed the video, what the...?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 7:40pm

Post #8 of 25 (669 views)
Shortcut
Sorry about that :/ [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered if they might remove it. Hopefully it will be available again later.

TwirlingThorin
Bree

Dec 4 2013, 7:44pm

Post #9 of 25 (788 views)
Shortcut
New link [In reply to] Can't Post

RichardArmitageCentral has posted the event on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/...youtube_gdata_player

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 7:45pm

Post #10 of 25 (653 views)
Shortcut
Thanks... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 8:09pm

Post #11 of 25 (628 views)
Shortcut
myself as well [In reply to] Can't Post

It was quite a large topic in itself and well chosen. They really fleshed it out well, and gave quite a lot to think about.

How do you reconcile the actions of someone you have come to care about, with your own moral compass?

I think it helps to remember that they are not you. Like they said, it might not be the choice you would have made/ wanted to make, but that understanding of why they made it, is the thing we need from them.

The courtroom example brought up was quite an apt one. I think we can all agree that the Courts do not get it all right, but I would hope that the ideal of Justice remains faithful. Thorin might have done some morally questionable things, but in the name of Justice, can we acquit him? You'll have to answer that for yourself.

I really hope this comes across in the movie. I am confident that I will be more attached to RA's Thorin, than the book Thorin, so it will be a chaotic spiral and I look forward to enjoying it.

Call me Rem. Rembrethil is a lot to type!!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 8:10pm

Post #12 of 25 (600 views)
Shortcut
It's not your fault. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 8:26pm

Post #13 of 25 (589 views)
Shortcut
From the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems clear in the book that Bilbo and the Dwarves had a very different opinion on their relationship.

Collectively, Thorin and Company always seem to have regarded Bilbo as the hired help, as evidenced by that speech that Thorin gives at the secret door, in which he says "Now it is time for our esteemed burglar to earn his reward and perform the task for which he was hired."

Bilbo, quite rightly, is taken aback by this. In his mind, they've been through so much, and he's done so much already, often becoming defacto leader, he assumed a closer and more gratifying relationship.

Balin in the book appears to stand out as the one dwarf who is caught between these two views, often viewing Bilbo as a friend and believing the rest of Thorin and Company asks way too much of him.

From the clips we've seen thus far, I think PJ is going to do the book justice in displaying these dynamics between Thorin, Bilbo, and Balin. What I'm really curious to see is where the other dwarves tend to fall on this spectrum, as all the dwarves in the films are stronger individual characters than in the book.

In the end though, I think we can all appreciate the thought that Richard Armitage put into the performance at that point. I think he is a performer that really appreciates that Tolkien didn't just write a black and white tale here, as many critics often argue.

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 8:53pm

Post #14 of 25 (591 views)
Shortcut
first time seeing that barrels clip... [In reply to] Can't Post

wonderful clip, i have to say. probably my favorite yet. Freeman is GOLD in it.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 11:42pm

Post #15 of 25 (397 views)
Shortcut
The clip [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the clip! especially the drunk elves Laugh the only problem I have is that it ends! I cannot freakin' wait for this movie!

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Fili
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 11:46pm

Post #16 of 25 (384 views)
Shortcut
I loved the drunk elves too! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I REALLY hope one of them is named Galion the Butler! Sly

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 11:51pm

Post #17 of 25 (356 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he's the elf in red.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 2:01am

Post #18 of 25 (280 views)
Shortcut
Loved the Barrels clip [In reply to] Can't Post

The drunk elves were great and Bilbo's hand movements and reaction at the end (He forgot the most important thing!) is classic. I cannot wait to see this on the big screen and I bet in 3D it's going to be awesome.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 2:54am

Post #19 of 25 (273 views)
Shortcut
Boy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Kili's not too happy at the beginning of the barrel clip, is he? That glare he gives Bilbo after hissing "We're in the cellar!" Ah, the hotheadedness of youth...

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2013, 2:58am

Post #20 of 25 (253 views)
Shortcut
huh [In reply to] Can't Post

a LOT of speculation could arise from that moment "I can't believe we're in the cellar!"

He almost looks about ready to hit Bilbo....

Could it possibly be that his elvish lady love turned him down? Wink

One can only hope....Crazy

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 3:14am

Post #21 of 25 (237 views)
Shortcut
Hmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...Kili's not too happy at the beginning of the barrel clip, is he? That glare he gives Bilbo after hissing "We're in the cellar!" Ah, the hotheadedness of youth...

How can you tell when the back of his head is facing the screen for most of the shot? It's Bofur who gets up in Bilbo's face so I'd be more worried about him hitting him, and Dwalin who also gets a bit accusatory, so I'd say most of the dwarves are "hotheaded" if saying "We're in the cellars" and giving a glare is a sign of hot headedness and it had nothing to do with youth. :)

Unless they all secretly were having flirtations with Tauriel and she turned them all down. LOL

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Dec 5 2013, 3:15am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 3:16am

Post #22 of 25 (216 views)
Shortcut
Booo! [In reply to] Can't Post

What's the point of doing that?

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 3:31am

Post #23 of 25 (218 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

How can you tell when the back of his head is facing the screen for most of the shot?

Kili turns to look at Bilbo just as Bofur crosses over to deliver his line. You can't see much of his face, but enough to see he ain't happy! Maybe Tauriel didn't turn him down and he's mad about missing out on a hot date. ;-)

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 4:16am

Post #24 of 25 (215 views)
Shortcut
yeeks no subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

How can you tell when the back of his head is facing the screen for most of the shot?

Kili turns to look at Bilbo just as Bofur crosses over to deliver his line. You can't see much of his face, but enough to see he ain't happy! Maybe Tauriel didn't turn him down and he's mad about missing out on a hot date. ;-)

None of them look happy, which is my point, I'm not sure why Kili would get singled out for comment on it - it's nothing to do with his youth or Tauriel.

It's because none of the dwarves are happy about being led down into the cellars and at least a couple of them, quite a bit older than Kili, make that known to Bilbo in more forceful fashion than Kili did.

I think Bofur's reaction is more interesting given how buddy buddy he and Bilbo were getting. (yes exaggerationWink ), now here's Bofur getting all up in Bilbo's grill. Maybe wishing he'd gone back to Rivendell now, Bofur?

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 5:07pm

Post #25 of 25 (91 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I gotcha. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't singling Kili out, I just noticed him first because he had the first line. I was also a little surprised at his vitriol (and Bofur's too) since, as you mentioned, in the first movie they both seemed to be on Bilbo's side and here they seem as quick to jump on his case as the others. It's very hard to tell overall tone from one tiny clip, of course, but I found that odd.

(This post was edited by sarahb1863 on Dec 5 2013, 5:11pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.