Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Well said, AinurOlorin!

Fili
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 11:54pm

Views: 219
Shortcut
Well said, AinurOlorin! [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a double-standard applied to these genres. Critics who find these stories frivolous complain about them being slow when they try to actually invoke meaning.

I think Professor Tolkien said it best in the forward to the Lord of the Rings:

“Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible, and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.”

LaughSlyLaugh

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

Subject User Time
Time names Desolation of Smaug as one of the years best movies. Grant Send a private message to Grant Dec 4 2013, 5:52pm
    Very promising. Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Dec 4 2013, 5:55pm
    Fast and Furious 6? daemoon Send a private message to daemoon Dec 4 2013, 6:08pm
        it's a bit of an acquired taste for some unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 4 2013, 6:18pm
            I'm a fan Grant Send a private message to Grant Dec 4 2013, 6:28pm
        I was thinking the same thing... tsmith675 Send a private message to tsmith675 Dec 4 2013, 6:51pm
            questioning the validity? unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 4 2013, 6:57pm
                This is awesome! Guess he liked DOS quite a bit.. poochies Send a private message to poochies Dec 4 2013, 7:10pm
                I mean the validity of his opinion to me tsmith675 Send a private message to tsmith675 Dec 4 2013, 7:41pm
                    oh okay unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 4 2013, 8:03pm
    wonderful! unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 4 2013, 6:08pm
    Awesome! Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Dec 4 2013, 6:09pm
    "who could guess?" nobofthepony Send a private message to nobofthepony Dec 4 2013, 6:52pm
        Agreed. I hated Azog's ressurection, and I will likely hate the Desolation ending, but I LOVED the virtually every moment of the first Hour AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 4 2013, 10:29pm
            Well said, AinurOlorin! Fili Send a private message to Fili Dec 4 2013, 11:54pm
        If they like action... hobbitrunner Send a private message to hobbitrunner Dec 4 2013, 10:50pm
        Yes... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Dec 4 2013, 10:56pm
    I'm a little surprised... Elutherian Send a private message to Elutherian Dec 4 2013, 7:23pm
    Well, let's hope the majority of critics will have a similar opinion... Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Dec 4 2013, 7:33pm
    That is promising indeed. Nagini6 Send a private message to Nagini6 Dec 4 2013, 7:46pm
    Good for them dubulous Send a private message to dubulous Dec 4 2013, 8:02pm
    You'll have noticed the link on the same page... Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Dec 4 2013, 8:59pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.