Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Time names Desolation of Smaug as one of the years best movies.

Grant
The Shire

Dec 4 2013, 5:52pm

Post #1 of 22 (2305 views)
Shortcut
Time names Desolation of Smaug as one of the years best movies. Can't Post

And they gave a pretty lukewarm review to Unexpected Journey last year.

http://entertainment.time.com/...s-and-entertainment/

I don't always agree with their picks but this is promising.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 4 2013, 6:25pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2013, 5:55pm

Post #2 of 22 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Very promising. [In reply to] Can't Post

If this is what follows with other critics, then the movie will be well received indeed - and it makes me very excited to see the film.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

daemoon
Rivendell

Dec 4 2013, 6:08pm

Post #3 of 22 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Fast and Furious 6? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously? I think they picked this movie for the wrong reasons...

(This post was edited by daemoon on Dec 4 2013, 6:08pm)

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 6:08pm

Post #4 of 22 (962 views)
Shortcut
wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

i respect Corliss' opinion a good bit.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 6:09pm

Post #5 of 22 (950 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Always love seeing stuff I like get positive nods. Cool

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 6:18pm

Post #6 of 22 (942 views)
Shortcut
it's a bit of an acquired taste for some [In reply to] Can't Post

but The Fast and the Furious series kind of turned a corner once it went for broke and basically turned into comic-book movies where the characters' special powers are fast cars. they defy physics and you don't care, it's a thrill ride. ever since the fourth movie then with Fast Five and now 6, it's just exceptionally entertaining and well-made with likable characters, lots of laughs, and great action. it's goofy fun at the movies in the best way that Hollywood has stumbled upon in ages. now, yeah, there's nothing particularly good about the storytelling and the craft of the series is pretty much focused on the car chases and not so much everything else, so it won't be on my year-end list, but i definitely get the appeal. especially Fast Five, i really enjoyed that one.

Grant
The Shire

Dec 4 2013, 6:28pm

Post #7 of 22 (859 views)
Shortcut
I'm a fan [In reply to] Can't Post

They are uncomplicated fun action movies that rely more on good practical effects and stunts that we don't see too much of anymore. It's not high art but they are immensely entertaining.

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 4 2013, 6:51pm

Post #8 of 22 (832 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

And Prisoners was, for some reason, not on this list. That kind of makes me question the validity of this list...

"Seriously, why was the scene with CGI dwarf ass NOT in the theatrical cut?!"

nobofthepony
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 6:52pm

Post #9 of 22 (883 views)
Shortcut
"who could guess?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Uhhh...just about everybody? I still can't believe people are call the first movie "meandering"...before the days of smartphones people actually had attention spans which allowed for common storytelling devices such as character development and exposition.

And again, if Jackson didn't take his time introducing the characters, the critics would have complained about 1-dimensional characters. It was really lose/lose. I didn't think 1/2 hour of the unexpected party was that indulgent. 10 years ago it would have been considered normal pacing. It's just irritating to see the old manufactured talking-points get dredged up again, but I guess that's the redemption narrative critics are going to pretend is reality this year.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 6:57pm

Post #10 of 22 (790 views)
Shortcut
questioning the validity? [In reply to] Can't Post

there were a lot of critics that weren't high on Prisoners and there are a ton of people, critics included, that enjoyed the Fast and Furious 6. the validity is just fine as it is the validity of one man's opinion, a pretty respected opinion at that. Corliss has been Time's lead movie critic for as long as i can remember.

poochies
Rivendell

Dec 4 2013, 7:10pm

Post #11 of 22 (747 views)
Shortcut
This is awesome! Guess he liked DOS quite a bit.. [In reply to] Can't Post

And gets close to the grandeur of LOTR? Well we'll see... I'm so glad he put Gravity at numero uno, well deserved!

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 7:23pm

Post #12 of 22 (755 views)
Shortcut
I'm a little surprised... [In reply to] Can't Post

... That 12 Years A Slave isn't #1.

It's one of the single best films I've ever seen.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 7:33pm

Post #13 of 22 (730 views)
Shortcut
Well, let's hope the majority of critics will have a similar opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

Either way, an encouraging sign...

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 4 2013, 7:41pm

Post #14 of 22 (650 views)
Shortcut
I mean the validity of his opinion to me [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to everyone else.

"Seriously, why was the scene with CGI dwarf ass NOT in the theatrical cut?!"

Olorin2607
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 7:46pm

Post #15 of 22 (661 views)
Shortcut
That is promising indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let us hope that DOS will really blow us away with lots of awesomeness.

It won't come close to LOTR I'm very sure of that but if it improves significantly on AUJ's weaknesses then I could not be happier.

I'm not the nitpicker type anyway so I actually don't care for things like Legolas, Tauriel and Kili/Tauriel.

(This post was edited by Nagini6 on Dec 4 2013, 7:46pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 8:02pm

Post #16 of 22 (627 views)
Shortcut
Good for them [In reply to] Can't Post

There are movies on that list I wouldn't consider anywhere near the best of 2013, but as long as DOS gets good press I'm not gonna complain.

(Well, I might complain a little about FF6, but nevermind.)

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 8:03pm

Post #17 of 22 (569 views)
Shortcut
oh okay [In reply to] Can't Post

gotcha

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 4 2013, 8:59pm

Post #18 of 22 (575 views)
Shortcut
You'll have noticed the link on the same page... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to Corliss's top ten movies of the millennium (so far), including the LotR trilogy.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 4 2013, 10:29pm

Post #19 of 22 (444 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. I hated Azog's ressurection, and I will likely hate the Desolation ending, but I LOVED the virtually every moment of the first Hour [In reply to] Can't Post

plus of An Unexpected. And you are exactly right, short attention spans, added, I would say, to a tendency by critics to not want movies in the sword&sorcery, Enchanted Realms and Sci-Fi genres to have any normal, character building, "Steel Magnolias" type moments. They write off the films for being nothing but action and light displays, and then the moment they move beyond battles and special effects into character interaction, such as one might find in a pub or an Oscar contending film, they complain of the movie being slow. If An Unexpected Journey was slow, Titanic was a damned disabled inchworm right up until the Iceburg came in Crazy

In Reply To
Uhhh...just about everybody? I still can't believe people are call the first movie "meandering"...before the days of smartphones people actually had attention spans which allowed for common storytelling devices such as character development and exposition.

And again, if Jackson didn't take his time introducing the characters, the critics would have complained about 1-dimensional characters. It was really lose/lose. I didn't think 1/2 hour of the unexpected party was that indulgent. 10 years ago it would have been considered normal pacing. It's just irritating to see the old manufactured talking-points get dredged up again, but I guess that's the redemption narrative critics are going to pretend is reality this year.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

hobbitrunner
The Shire

Dec 4 2013, 10:50pm

Post #20 of 22 (361 views)
Shortcut
If they like action... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then whoa man it seems like they'll love TABA. If this movie ends with the cliffhanger we've heard of and leaves all the major battles to the next movie then it will be full of relentless action.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 10:56pm

Post #21 of 22 (331 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... although I do not like labels such as the "smartphone generation" I agree with most of the rest of your post.

It was funny to read how some critics complained both about the Bag-end sequence AND one-dimensional dwarves. When you read through many of the most negative reviews of AUJ one quickly realizes that the only possibility for their expectations to be met would have been to lose more and more Tolkien - reduce the number of dwarves, for example.

Once you decided to go with all dwarves that long introduction-scene was inevetible (and still did not satisfy many on the character-scene-front). It would have also been an issue regardless of whether PJ would have done one, two or three movies. The short way the dwarves are characterized by Tolkien is simply impossible to transfer to film. Unless you wanna end up with just some extras who walk with the main characters - which was the route the cartoon took. IMHO never managable if you wanted to create more than a mere children's story.

The examples can go on and on but that was imho the most upsetting when it comes to the AUJ reviews.

(Just to add this, I also think that AUJ has more flaws as a movie than most parts of the Rings trilogy, but I found that few of the negative reviews actually captured the issues of the movie but rather failed to see some of its gems because they did not accept the movie took another pace as a more generic and typical blockbuster would have done.)

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Fili
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 11:54pm

Post #22 of 22 (282 views)
Shortcut
Well said, AinurOlorin! [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a double-standard applied to these genres. Critics who find these stories frivolous complain about them being slow when they try to actually invoke meaning.

I think Professor Tolkien said it best in the forward to the Lord of the Rings:

“Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible, and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.”

LaughSlyLaugh

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.