Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Color grading

Dipling
Rivendell

Dec 4 2013, 8:40am

Post #1 of 19 (1390 views)
Shortcut
Color grading Can't Post

A question:
Will Peter Jackson "correct" color grading in AUJ for the trilogy release?
What do you think?

As he stated:
“Last year, there was a lot of focus on the frame rate, and the technology drove a lot of the reviews,” Jackson acknowledged.

Jackson said he spent a lot of time working on the color grading, trying to tone down the high-definition look. “I think it wasn’t just the frame rate; it was the high-definition look of the cameras that was a contributing factor. So I softened it up this year. And I think we’ve got a look now that feels quite nice.”

Annatar598
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 9:43am

Post #2 of 19 (796 views)
Shortcut
The new look is great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it. I believe Dol Guldur was meant to look very blueish from the first AUJ trailers.

The new sickly green works perfectly well.

Not to mention several action shots look less cartoonish than they did in the first DOS trailer. Thranduil's Hall especially looks fantastically realistic.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 9:44am

Post #3 of 19 (704 views)
Shortcut
A definite improvement [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ's rainbow, oversaturated look was a detriment to the film, in my opinion. DOS looks much better and more atmospheric.

deskp
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 9:47am

Post #4 of 19 (655 views)
Shortcut
oh [In reply to] Can't Post

If this indeed is seomthign he has relaised now, i do hope the corrects/improves the first film aswell.

But I also hope wahtever it is he does he keeps in mind that the high frama rate is not gonna be what people watch on bluray.

Making too many choises based on the high frama rate could afffect the bluray release in a bad way.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 9:57am

Post #5 of 19 (618 views)
Shortcut
Where is that quote from? [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's something he has acknowledged, I will be so incredibly happy. One of my biggest gripes with AUJ is the picture quality. If Peter Jackson has recognized that the super high resolution was part of AUJ's problem, then I think it's a good sign for the next two movies.

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

Joe20
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 10:08am

Post #6 of 19 (621 views)
Shortcut
This article... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...maug-premiere-661467

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Dec 4 2013, 10:09am)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 10:20am

Post #7 of 19 (610 views)
Shortcut
Not a problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I think these movies should get darker in tone because the smooth transition to LOTR. But I think the look of AUJ is suitable to the story, it gives it a fairytale-feel to it. That said, the bright colours certainly made the film feel very CGI, bordering animated. And that's not a good thing. So I am welcoming the change.

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Dec 4 2013, 11:08am

Post #8 of 19 (548 views)
Shortcut
Dont see the problem [In reply to] Can't Post

As said, the look evolves as it should throughout the story, there's nothing wrong with AUJ, Pete mentions that they softened the look because of HFR.

AUJ looks gorgeous and very cinematic, I loved how it looked in HFR 3D, hyper real looking, too much for a lot of people (although a lot loved it as well), so that's what Pete is trying to change.

Blunt the knives, bend them forks, smash the bottles and burn the corks.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates !

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 12:43pm

Post #9 of 19 (437 views)
Shortcut
I hope so... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
“Last year, there was a lot of focus on the frame rate, and the technology drove a lot of the reviews,” Jackson acknowledged. “I think it wasn’t just the frame rate; it was the high-definition look of the cameras that was a contributing factor. So I softened it up this year. And I think we’ve got a look now that feels quite nice.”

If i were to have one complaint about AUJ's cinematography, it would be that it had a very digital, HD look, and not very film-like. The HD look can work for some things, but not Middle-earth, and definitely not with the aesthetic PJ already established with LotR. If he has indeed "corrected" this problem for DoS (hard to tell from a laptop), i hope he does go back and do the same for AUJ, so that it blends in more smoothly to the cinematic look LotR has. Isn't that part of the point of them doing this trilogy? So that we can take a week-end and watch all six films in order, and that they all look "of a piece"?

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Dec 4 2013, 12:48pm)

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 4 2013, 2:00pm

Post #10 of 19 (442 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Blu-ray grading [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to recall that the LOTR blu-ray, especially FOTR, got some tweaks to the color grading for its release (more green), so it may be within the realm of possibility for either a trilogy or a double trilogy release to see small changes like this.

Also, I'm still guessing that a 3D HFR with dolby atmos blu-ray standard will be released in the next few years - maybe with the release of the next avatar movies in 60fps, so there could be a chance in the future to see the movies the way they were intended.

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Dec 4 2013, 2:11pm

Post #11 of 19 (401 views)
Shortcut
Jesus [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit movies are shot on the Red Epic, of course it's not going to look like the LOTR trilogy. However, AUJ doesn't have the cheap digital look, it looks gorgeous, of course, it's smoother and cleaner, because that's what the Red Epic looks like, but unless you're talking about HFR, I don't see what the problem is here.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 3:15pm

Post #12 of 19 (304 views)
Shortcut
Well, a lot can be done to the image [In reply to] Can't Post

in post-production, especially with digital photography, Red Epic or otherwise (and apparently, PJ agrees). And while i would not say that AUJ looked "cheap", it did have a 'too digital' look to it-- smoother and cleaner are not necessarily good things when it comes to cinema, in my opinion.

Much of LotR had a painterly quality to it, and while i understand that the new trilogy needs to have it's own visual style, i would think PJ would want to carry on with this painterly look, no matter the color palette or camera work. It helps give the movies that "historical" feel, which AUJ just does not have, in my opinion.

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Dec 4 2013, 3:34pm

Post #13 of 19 (284 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, but I know all about color timing [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ made it clear a few times that the Hobbit movies have their own look, more fantastical, it's a conscious choice.

Annatar598
Rohan

Dec 4 2013, 3:34pm

Post #14 of 19 (292 views)
Shortcut
That "digital" quality is more [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparent in sweeping camera movements around the Goblin King as he is doing his introductory song in AUJ EE.

The Goblin caverns look so much like an animated cartoony environment with all the bright saturated colors of the rocks.

It's not entirely bad but it doesn't fit into the gritty photography of DOS and LOTR.

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 4 2013, 3:58pm

Post #15 of 19 (282 views)
Shortcut
I didn't like the oversaturated look but [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say it fit well with the tone of the movie - in DOS the story gets darker so a shift in grading is also welcome (and this time I love the look).

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2013, 4:00pm

Post #16 of 19 (248 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

From Peter Jackson: “I think it wasn’t just the frame rate; it was the high-definition look of the cameras that was a contributing factor. So I softened it up this year. And I think we’ve got a look now that feels quite nice.”

Quite seperate from color timing. And i did say that i realise that the new trilogy has to have it's own look, it's own visual style and color palette (fantastical, as you say), but that does not mean that it has to have that digital, high-definition look that PJ himself speaks of.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Dec 4 2013, 4:02pm)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 12:55am

Post #17 of 19 (95 views)
Shortcut
Encouraging. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think when something's very new, it can be difficult to prevent the technology from driving your choices to some extent, no matter how talented you are. Perhaps PJ has now firmly settled into digital, and is more confident about making it do what he wants. Bit like Delia Smith and pastry.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

hobbitrunner
The Shire

Dec 5 2013, 1:50am

Post #18 of 19 (85 views)
Shortcut
6 movie transition [In reply to] Can't Post

While the LOTR movies are certainly far grittier and darker from the start, it has been noted that they do get darker along the way as the story becomes darker.

This can also work with the overall Hobbit transition.
At the start of AUJ it's all innocent and indeed almost fairy-tale-like. However, once the journey gets into the mountains and Bilbo finds the ring, it makes sense for it to get darker from there.
Truly, Bilbo's discovery of the ring is the first HUGE movement towards the story-line of LOTR; or at least his discovery is the first obvious direct connection to Sauron.

So anyways, fairy-tale to darker to darker to FOTR's darkness makes sense in my opinion when you relate it to the loss of innocence. Within the context of the 6 movies all together.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2013, 7:50am

Post #19 of 19 (58 views)
Shortcut
I hope so, too...that would make a big dfference for me... // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.