The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug looks perfect

Erally
Bree

Dec 3 2013, 8:04am

Post #1 of 5 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Smaug looks perfect Can't Post

In my opinion nothing can ruin it anymore: Smaug looks perfect. They did amazing work! I especially like the design of the mouth. It's designed for speaking and it still looks very cool. I also like the 'spikes' on his neck. For me it is perfect. What do you guys think about it and would the amount of legs change your mind?

http://www.ign.com/...s-smaug-takes-flight

(This post was edited by Erally on Dec 3 2013, 8:05am)

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 3 2013, 8:19am

Post #2 of 5 (416 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks great.

Glad they didn't overthink him like they seemingly did Beorn, some of the dwarves etc.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 3 2013, 8:25am

Post #3 of 5 (431 views)
Shortcut
As perfect as he can be with regard to speaking [In reply to] Can't Post

I really do think that so much of Smaug's design had to be based around his ability to speak. Getting the technicalities of his face to look "right" as his mouth moves must have been extremely difficult on the part of the designer and animators. I imagine that too many "innovative" design elements would look cool in still images but would ultimately ruin things when the dragon starts to talk. It could very easily look silly.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Dec 3 2013, 9:33am

Post #4 of 5 (352 views)
Shortcut
Not like I imagined him from the book [In reply to] Can't Post

He definitely looks more vicious than I imagined. But I still like it very much, he reeks of death!

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Dec 3 2013, 9:34am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2013, 5:43pm

Post #5 of 5 (140 views)
Shortcut
IF that's the Smaug we'll see in the movie and I think it may be... [In reply to] Can't Post

..then I love him! He looks really frightening and intimidating yet intelligent which makes him all the more scary! And he's so huge and long! I love how his tail sort of curls around in loop near the back of the plane! I can also totally picture him talking!Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.