The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
LOTR silly talk

Zmulady
Rohan

Jan 14 2008, 8:35pm

Post #1 of 25 (551 views)
Shortcut
LOTR silly talk Can't Post

Do you think Aragorn ever told Arwen that Eowyn had the hots for "him" before she fell for Faramir? After all they all probably hung out together a few times after Aragorn became King.
This is silly, I know, but I like thinking about what happened after the ring was destroyed and everybody went home.

TolkienPurest

Jan 14 2008, 8:51pm

Post #2 of 25 (372 views)
Shortcut
hmmmmm............. [In reply to] Can't Post

...I have wondered that myself. I could see it happening if they we all together having a drink and remembing the "old days" Laugh

karen
The Shire

Jan 14 2008, 8:53pm

Post #3 of 25 (359 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

he wasn't that kind of man......in my opinion, besides there was nothing to tell really.
I picture what happened "after" too.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 14 2008, 8:58pm

Post #4 of 25 (376 views)
Shortcut
If Arwen takes after her grandmother [In reply to] Can't Post

she's probably good at seeing into people's minds. I somehow suspect that she'd have figured everything out without anyone having to tell her!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 15 2008, 10:47pm

Post #5 of 25 (357 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the question could also be [In reply to] Can't Post

whether Aragorn had the hots for Eowyn! The more I watch these films, the more I think Aragorn is pretty flirtatious with Eowyn at times; not that anything was going to happen, but it's definitely there. What do others think?

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2008, 6:41am

Post #6 of 25 (294 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Aragorn crossed the line beyond friendly. imho

Great, where are we going?

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 16 2008, 5:26pm

Post #7 of 25 (293 views)
Shortcut
I think he loved her... [In reply to] Can't Post

as a father-figure. He cares about her deeply, he admires her courage and pities her solitude, that certainly comes through. But I think he's too involved mentally and spiritually with Arwen to realize that Eowyn is reading too much into his friendship. I guess I find the dynamic more satisfying than in the book, because Aragorn and Eowyn do get to know each other well, and Aragorn does tell Eowyn about his love for Arwen. But in the movie, he is living with the belief that Arwen will go to the Havens as he urged her to do, and when he tells Eowyn this she thinks she has a chance to win his heart. The misunderstanding is fundamentally the same as in the book, but the relations between the characters is explored much more fully and realistically.

glimmered and was lost.

Zmulady
Rohan

Jan 16 2008, 5:53pm

Post #8 of 25 (289 views)
Shortcut
have to admit [In reply to] Can't Post

according to the movie, when Aragorn leaves to go fight the Warg attack, he gives Eowyn a look. I thought for a second, he liked her and for more then a friend or father. Perhaps I just took the look wrong.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 16 2008, 6:19pm

Post #9 of 25 (295 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I don't know if Aragorn knew it. Guys are sometimes clueless that way. They wake up in the middle of the night twenty years later with an epiphany and start banging their heads against the wall going "You idiot! She liked you!! You could have asked her out!!!!"

But even if Aragorn didn't know, I agree with FarFromHome that Arwen did. Wives are funny that way. They know things about us guys that even we don't.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 16 2008, 6:46pm

Post #10 of 25 (285 views)
Shortcut
That look sure could mean something.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
when Aragorn leaves to go fight the Warg attack, he gives Eowyn a look...

... and Eowyn thinks so herself, it's pretty clear. It's after this that she makes a big fuss and asks to stay and fight with him, like the others who fight with him "because they would not be parted from you, because they love you". But I think you can see by Aragorn's reaction to these words of Eowyn's that he wasn't expecting this from her, and is upset about it.

Isn't it more likely that that look as he rode away leaving her in charge of the refugees was one of concern for her? Theoden asked her to stay and lead the people rather than joining the fight against the wargs, and she's upset about that. Aragorn understands and sympathises, and I suspect that's what's in his mind when he looks back at her. But it could easily be interpreted as a different emotion altogether - and Eowyn does interpret it that way, for sure.

glimmered and was lost.

Zmulady
Rohan

Jan 16 2008, 6:54pm

Post #11 of 25 (284 views)
Shortcut
yeah and that's why she falls for him so....but [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it possible Aragorn is looking back at her just in case it's the last time he gets to? Their eyes meet one last time......

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 16 2008, 7:30pm

Post #12 of 25 (275 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Isn't it possible Aragorn is looking back at her just in case it's the last time he gets to? Their eyes meet one last time......

You may well be right. I love the way they leave it like this, so subtle that we never really know!

glimmered and was lost.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 16 2008, 7:37pm

Post #13 of 25 (278 views)
Shortcut
I think maybe that is [In reply to] Can't Post

a 'going into battle' look.
I always find it fascinating to look at the interplay between them during the celebration after victory at Helm's Deep. When Eowyn hands Aragorn the wine, it is written all over her face how she feels, but also look at Aragorn and how he reacts to her - I think that is more than a 'friendship' or 'fatherly' look! You can't tell me that his sustained and rather intense eye-contact is simply friendly. But, as someone pointed out earlier, perhaps he isn't even aware he is doing it , or that Eowyn's feelings are so intense - that would make perfect sense to me.

Merenwen
The Shire

Jan 16 2008, 8:35pm

Post #14 of 25 (271 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn probably didn't realise he was doing it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden noticed the look too. He tells Eowyn that he is happy for her as if he expects Aragorn to return her feelings. Aragorn's feelings for Eowyn may not have been exactly fatherly, but I don't think his feelings were as intense as Eowyn's. Maybe in real life, he would have been a tiny bit tempted but he's a fairytale hero so he wasn't. Besides, Aragorn is probably right in thinking that she doesn't love him as much as the idea of him.

Zmulady
Rohan

Jan 16 2008, 8:44pm

Post #15 of 25 (284 views)
Shortcut
did she tell Faramir [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with all of you, so I guess it's only fitting to ask, do you think Eowyn ever told Farimir that she once loved Aragorn?

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 16 2008, 8:56pm

Post #16 of 25 (280 views)
Shortcut
Miscommunication [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When Eowyn hands Aragorn the wine, it is written all over her face how she feels, but also look at Aragorn and how he reacts to her

That's another crucial moment, for sure. Again, Eowyn reads it the way you do - as something much more than friendship (and she doesn't ever read fatherliness at all - she knows intellectually that he's old enough to be her grandad, but he sure doesn't look it!) Actually, I think at this moment Aragorn finally does understand that Eowyn thinks they have a "special relationship". The long look he gives her looks a bit unsure to me - as if he's finally realized something's going on and doesn't know how to handle it. But it's totally possible to read it as interest on his part - which makes it completely believable that Eowyn gets the impression she does.

I'm not sure about Theoden - I would think that it's Eowyn's own behaviour that has made him think that there's a mutual relationship between her and Aragorn. The way she singles out Aragorn to offer him the cup - does that perhaps imply that there is an understanding between them? That may be what gives Theoden the impression he has.

glimmered and was lost.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2008, 9:33pm

Post #17 of 25 (268 views)
Shortcut
In the book, he knew [In reply to] Can't Post

read the Houses of Healing chapter -- he not only knew, but he understood.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

paleostone
Bree

Jan 16 2008, 9:59pm

Post #18 of 25 (266 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he is doing some kingly shopping? [In reply to] Can't Post

If Arwen is going to the havens then as a king, either of Gondor or of the Northern Kingdom he is obligated to pass on his mantle. Much of English history occurred because of this obligation. Henry VIII spent inordinate amount of time trying to get a male heir because his father had drilled into him the need to leave a clear succession to the throne ( and not have a "War of the Roses" that had brought him, Henry's father to kingship. This is a clear part of the Noblese Obligese (please forgive my awful French spelling) That made Arwen a very possible match. It would have made a good alliance even stronger and she wasn't bad to look at. We don't know of any Numorean women. He had to marry and leave a son or it was all over for his people.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 16 2008, 10:40pm

Post #19 of 25 (261 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

about Theoden, I think he is responding to Eowyn's behaviour too. I liked your comments about Aragorn's reaction, I hadn't thought about it this way.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2008, 2:43am

Post #20 of 25 (262 views)
Shortcut
The movie marketing people [In reply to] Can't Post

certainly tried to play up a possible love triangle in the time between TTT and ROTK. Of course, those of us who knew the story had no doubts, but I can certainly see how movie-firsters would think there might be something going on between Aragorn and Eowyn.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2008, 2:50am

Post #21 of 25 (260 views)
Shortcut
That's how I read Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

When he accepts the wine from Eowyn, Aragorn realizes that she has feelings for him that he does not reciprocate. It's very close to the same time he becomes aware of Eowyn's feelings in the book - soon after Helm's Deep. I thought Viggo did a great job showing Aragorn's realization and subsequent sorrow. Theoden, of course, interprets the scene as Eowyn did, which makes sense. He knows Eowyn very well and Aragorn only a little, and he wants Eowyn to be happy. Theoden saw Eowyn's feelings and misread Aragorn's reaction in a way that favored Eowyn. Of course, that's the worst thing that could happen - Theoden unwittingly encourages Eowyn to think that Aragorn feels the same way she does, but unfortunately he does not.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2008, 4:28am

Post #22 of 25 (260 views)
Shortcut
It definitely was marketed in the movies as love triangle [In reply to] Can't Post

or at least a potential one. As a movie-firster, it seemed to be a prominent aspect of the story, and it wasn't until I started reading and talking to people who know way more than me about the books, that I realised this. I kept going on about the 'love triangle' to my friend who has read the story loads of times, and she told me not to make such a big deal of it!

Isabel
The Shire

Jan 19 2008, 3:32am

Post #23 of 25 (229 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a book-firster, so when i went to see the movies I also got the impression the way they handled the whole Eowyn - Aragorn was just too much!! And is true, is not that big deal in the books, is it? Hhhmmm, I seriously have to start rereading those books....

"Everybody lies" Gregory House

Isabel
The Shire

Jan 19 2008, 3:37am

Post #24 of 25 (262 views)
Shortcut
I felt so bad!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that moment in the book, and I felt soo bad for her!! It was obvious that Aragorn's heart was with Arwen.
When Ewoyn and Faramir meet in the healing houses? (sorry, i read the books in Spanish) I was soooo happy for her!! and Faramir, my god, the way he got her and understood what she was feeling.... *sighs*, how can you resist, right ladies? Wink

"Everybody lies" Gregory House

Kallasilya
The Shire

Jan 26 2008, 9:16pm

Post #25 of 25 (240 views)
Shortcut
What I'm always confused about is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was Eowyn simply so upset over Theodred's death because he was her cousin, or was it because she was betrothed to him? I mean, it's a bit odd to marry your cousin but she is royalty, so...

Also, I forget how young Eowyn is meant to be...I mean, to Aragorn, she must seem very young and inexperienced. Aragorn obviously likes his older women (yeah, 3000 years older Wink)

Consequently, I love the scene in the EE of ROTK when Eowyn is sleeping in the hall of Meduseld in that blue gown, and Aragorn stokes up the fire, and covers up her shoulder, and then Eowyn tells him her dream. It has that lovely feel about it, the way Eowyn seems half asleep, and Aragorn is looking after her just as a friend.

I thought Miranda was an amazing Eowyn - a real role model.Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.