Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Spoilers.... Deaths in The Desolation of Smaug
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 29 2013, 2:45pm

Post #26 of 30 (87 views)
Shortcut
Totally agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

DoS's ending is in jeopardy of feeling very unsatisfactory and the audience a bit cheated if there is no climax other than Smaug vs Dwarves and Gandalf escaping.

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 29 2013, 3:20pm

Post #27 of 30 (88 views)
Shortcut
I keep thinking of the end of the last-but-one Harry Potter film... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was good - I thought - and then all of a sudden it was over, but there was no sense of an ending. I remember thinking 'oh, is that it?'. Of course I knew there was another part to come, but it still had a curiously unresolved feeling. It was empty - we'd sat through all that and got nowhere.

I said that once on here and someone replied that it was meant to feel like that, but if that's the case, I think it was a mistake. For me, Peter Jackson and co have shown a much sharper understanding of how to end a film when the story isn't really over. They give you resolution and a sense of closure, with a final hint of what's to come. That's the formula and I don't expect them to break with it now.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2013, 4:20pm

Post #28 of 30 (81 views)
Shortcut
I think they did well with the sense of closure to end each film, up until AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt it was a let-down that Azog survived, and that his third-tier "revenge" sub-plot was not resolved in any way.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 29 2013, 5:59pm

Post #29 of 30 (61 views)
Shortcut
Good points, but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It could also be unsatisfactory to have the big reveal of Smaug...only to kill him off moments later. It could go either way.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 30 2013, 1:55pm

Post #30 of 30 (53 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

death > all other deaths in Middle-earth.

When it comes to emotional impact on the viewer, or so I hope at least.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Nov 30 2013, 11:34pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.