Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ah, Dwalin!

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 28 2013, 5:20pm

Views: 88
Shortcut
Ah, Dwalin! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What do you think of Dwalin's character development throughout the movie so far?
I love what's been done with Dwalin. For the time we've had him on screen, he comes through as heroic, brave, loyal, a fierce and skilled fighter, but without the ego that sometimes goes with those qualities.

2. What is the most memorable moment of Dwalin for you?
You know, this may be silly, but I absolutely LOVE the moment in the beginning at Bag End when Balin arrives and we see Dwalin with his hand in Bilbo's cookie jar!!! LOL!!! I think he's adorable at that moment!

3. What do you like most about Dwalin and what do you not like?
What I like most is his unflagging loyalty to Thorin, how he always has Thorin's back and is there for him in times of need. What I don't like is....um....can't think of anything I don't like about this character!

4. What do you think of Dwalin's relationship with his brother, Balin? And what about Thorin and Bilbo?
I love his relationship with Balin. You can see the mutual respect and love just by their head butt! (Okay, that was a strange sentence!) And it seems that although Dwalin is the stronger physically, it's Balin who is the older and wiser and therefore more authoritative than Dwalin. His relationship with Thorin I've stated before. I look at him as Thorin's right hand man in a fight, and one Thorin trusts with his life. As far as Bilbo goes, we've only seen Dwalin say he thinks Bilbo is too soft for this type of undertaking. I don't detect any disdain on his part, just an apprehension.

5. What do you like the best about Dwalin's appearance? Did you expect the filmmakers to go this route, or were you expecting something else entirely?
His appearance at first took me aback. I don't go for the heavy duty biker look, and that's how it struck me initially. As it went on though, I started to appreciate his look and now I find it totally appropriate for his persona and what he does. And I, too, liked the mohawk at Azanulbizar that morphed into what we see now. Things change, and so did Dwalin. One of the things I love most about these filmmakers is their ability to surprise and astound me with something I've never expected. Love it!

8. Do you like how Graham McTavish portrayed the character of Dwalin, or would you have preferred another actor?
I think McTavish is utterly perfect for this role! I never imagined actors in particular roles to begin with, so had no expectations one way or the other. And I think, just thinking about what has been said about PJ's method of developing characters by welcoming input by the actors, probably McTavish had a lot to do with Dwalin as we see him. It's a give and take, I think, with the actors and the characters and how PJ imagines them. It makes for a really nice working relationship, I would imagine.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Subject User Time
Character of the Week: Dwalin Queen of Erebor Send a private message to Queen of Erebor Nov 27 2013, 10:56pm
    Quick response Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Nov 27 2013, 11:25pm
    One tough dwarf Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 28 2013, 12:59am
    Dwalin is one of my favourite Dwarves... Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 Nov 28 2013, 10:15am
    Quick response... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Nov 28 2013, 2:55pm
    "Dwalin, at your service." *cue unexpected party* Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast Nov 28 2013, 5:13pm
    Ah, Dwalin! Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Nov 28 2013, 5:20pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.