The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Bilbo's Brainteasers! (a quiz)

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 14 2008, 4:38am

Post #1 of 19 (392 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's Brainteasers! (a quiz) Can't Post

Hullo Brainteaser fans!! Bilbo and I made good use of our week off. We’ve stocked up on Old Winyards, feathers to tickle you’re brains with (in case the Old Winyards doesn’t distract you enough Laugh) and some new brainteaser quizzes!

Tonight’s game is a “Things in Common” quiz. Each pair of words below has something in common. Fill in the blanks to complete each word, then tell what each pair of words has in common. (3 points per question – closed book!)

Sample:

G _ _d a l _ _ a _ u m _ n Gandalf, Saruman; both are wizards

Questions

1. N _ n y _ .............. _ i _ y a

2. _ o _ y _ ............ _ _ r _ h _ l m

3. _ le _ s _ _ r ............ _ s _ e l

4. _ l _ n o _ ............ S _ _ b _ l m y n _

5. C _ _ a d _ r _ _ ............ D _ o _

6. S t _ b _ a ............ _ w _ s _ t a _ _

7. C _ _ d _ n ............ _ a _ a _ r i _ l

8. C _ r _ _ o s _ ............ N _ r _ _ o s _

9. Q _ _ n _ _ ............ _ i _ d _ _ _ n

10. C _ _ n c _ _ _ f _ l _ _ n _ ............ E _ _ m _ o _

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

vtboyarc
Lorien

Jan 14 2008, 4:46am

Post #2 of 19 (293 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

wow looks like fun, the first one are 2 rings of power, but I don't have time to do the rest right now, I just got back to college, and am unpacking, and its a mess! But it will give me something to look forward to relax and answer(or rather; try and answer) the rest of these. thanks!

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2008, 5:12am

Post #3 of 19 (306 views)
Shortcut
A_t_ _ r _ ............. B_lb_ [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Altaira and Bilbo --- Quizmakers
  1. Nenya/ Vilya rings of power

2. Eowyn/Dernhelm One and the same person

Thinking there's an extra space there.. Elessar/Estel two names for Aragorn…or if the L in the first one was suppose to be a v then… Evenstar and Estel… being names for Aragorn and Arwen,

4. Elanor/Simbelmyne flowering plants

5. Caradhras/Doom both Mounts that proved challenging to climb

6. Stybba/Swish-tail Ponies

7. Cirdan/Galadriel Elves/ Guardians of Rings of Power

8. Carchost/Narchost The Towers of the Teeth

9. Quenya/Sindarin Elvish languages

10. Council of Elrond/Entmoot Long meetings

Sev's home away from home: http://burpingtroll.com See what the residents of The Burping Troll were up to during Yule.. http://burpingtroll.com/vignettes.htm

Finally made it to Rivendell!!!!!!!!!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2008, 1:11pm

Post #4 of 19 (308 views)
Shortcut
*pours a glass of Old Winyards* [In reply to] Can't Post

A little libation for a snowy morning! Our Nor'easter here seems to have fizzled out a bit along the southern coast, but inland the snow plowers and skiers will be delighted.

1. Nenya.............. Vilya: two of the Elven Rings of Power.

2. Éowyn ............ Dernhelm: name and pseudonym of the Lady of Rohan.

3.Elesssar ............Estel: two of Aragorn's names (with an extra "s" in the first one - been tasting that Old Winyards, eh, Bilbo? Wink).

4. Elanor ............ Simbelmyne: two flowers of Middle-earth that tend to grow only in specific places.

5. Caradhras............ Doom: well, this is an interesting mountain combo, with both being places of near-perishing!

6. Stybba............ Swishtail: the names of two ponies - I wonder, was Swishtail also one that Merry rode?

7. Cirdan ............ Galadriel: two Noldor, and bearers of Elven Rings at some point.

8. Carchost ............ Narchost: the Towers of the Teeth on either side of the gate of Mordor.

9. Quenya ............ Sindarin: two of the more common Elvish languages.

10. Council of Elrond............ Entmoot: decision-making gatherings, both of which went on too looong for hobbits! Laugh

Been a while since we've had one of these! A nice mental wake-up - thank you, Altaira and Bilbo! How's the skiing in Rivendell these days?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2008, 2:47pm

Post #5 of 19 (278 views)
Shortcut
No Winyards needed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nenya, Vilya - two of the three Elven rings

Eowyn, Dernhelm - same person, different outfit

Elessar, Estel - sock-puppet of Aragorn (one person with two nicks!)

Elanor, Simblemyne - flowers in Middle-earth

Caradhras, Doom - two mountains that don't like Hobbits

Stybba, Swishtail - that's a tricksy one! Two horses

Cirdan, Galadriel - two of the oldest Elves still in Middle-earth

8. C _ r _ _ o s _ ............ N _ r _ _ o s _

Carchost, Narchost - tricksy!!!! Towers of the Teeth

Quenya, Sindarin - two Elvish languages

Council of Elrond, Entmoot - committee meetings!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

sador
Half-elven

Jan 14 2008, 2:57pm

Post #6 of 19 (280 views)
Shortcut
I actually know these [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Nenya, Vilya - Elven-Rings
  2. Eowyn, Dernhelm - two names of the same person
  3. Elessar, Estel - two names the Elves gave Aragorn
  4. Elanor, Simbelmyne - flowers
  5. Caradhras, Doom - Mountains (actually, mountains who have a reputation of being malign)
  6. Stybba, Swish-tail - ponies belonging to Merry (this one was the most difficult)
  7. Cirdan, Galadriel - what should I write as common between them? They have several. For instance, both are living memories of the great wars of the First Age.
  8. Carhost, Narchost - the teeth of the Morannon (didn't you add an extra letter?)
  9. Quenya, Sindarin - Elvish languages
  10. Council of Elrond, Entmoot - councils.

I'm wondering about Carhost. Is it your mistake, or mine?
Anyway, that was fun.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 14 2008, 5:25pm

Post #7 of 19 (288 views)
Shortcut
*panicked response* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm totally stumped on a couple of them... but figured I'd toss out what I've got!

GOOD JOB, and it's great to have you back. :D

1. N _ n y _ .............. _ i _ y a -- Nenya Vilya - both are elven Rings of power

2. _ o _ y _ ............ _ _ r _ h _ l m -- Eowyn Dernhelm - names used by Eomer's sister ;)

3. _ le _ s _ _ r ............ _ s _ e l -- Elessar Estel - Names used by Aragorn

4. _ l _ n o _ ............ S _ _ b _ l m y n _ -- -Elenor Simbelmyne - OMG! Did I spell it right? Anyway... wto purdy flowers of Middle-earth.

5. C _ _ a d _ r _ _ ............ D _ o _ -- Caradhras Doom - A couple of mountains with attitudes Sam and Frodo climbed.

6. S t _ b _ a ............ _ w _ s _ t a _ _ -- Stybba Twissta-me - Merry's pony and her twisted sister

7. C _ _ d _ n ............ _ a _ a _ r i _ l Cirdan Galadriel - Lord and Lady of Lorien

8. C _ r _ _ o s _ ............ N _ r _ _ o s _ HUH? WHAT!? DUH!?

9. Q _ _ n _ _ ............ _ i _ d _ _ _ n Quenya Sindarian - Elven languages

10. C _ _ n c _ _ _ f _ l _ _ n _ ............ E _ _ m _ o _ -- Council of Elrond Entmoot - Meetings and more meetings!! PAH!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

acheron
Gondor

Jan 14 2008, 7:12pm

Post #8 of 19 (283 views)
Shortcut
here we go [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't looked at other replies...

1. N _ n y _ .............. _ i _ y a Nenya & Vilya, two of the Three Rings

2. _ o _ y _ ............ _ _ r _ h _ l m Eowyn & Dernhelm, names for the same character

3. _ le _ s _ _ r ............ _ s _ e l Elessar & Estel, names for the same character (Aragorn)

4. _ l _ n o _ ............ S _ _ b _ l m y n _ Elanor & Simbilmyne, both flowers

5. C _ _ a d _ r _ _ ............ D _ o _ Caradhras & .. um.. Doom? Both mountains.

6. S t _ b _ a ............ _ w _ s _ t a _ _ Stybba & .. Swishtail? Both ponies.

7. C _ _ d _ n ............ _ a _ a _ r i _ l this one was oddly difficult, don't know why, but Cirdan & Galadrial, both Elves (both Ringbearers, in Middle Earth at the end of the third age, etc... don't know what you're looking for to pair them)

8. C _ r _ _ o s _ ............ N _ r _ _ o s _ The Towers of the Teeth at Morannon, let's see if I can remember the names.. Caracost and Narcrost? Don't think that is right, but maybe I get partial credit? :)

9. Q _ _ n _ _ ............ _ i _ d _ _ _ n Quenya & Sindarin, both Eldarin languages

Been staring at this but I can't get it.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Jan 15 2008, 12:01am

Post #9 of 19 (264 views)
Shortcut
Related answers!! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Nenya, Vilya; Elven Rings of Power
2. Eowyn, Dernhelm; two names for the niece of Theoden
3. Elessar, Estel; two names used by Aragorn
4. Elanor, Simbelmyne; two flowers that grew in Middle-earth
5. Caradhras, Doom; two mountains of Middle-earth
6. Stybba, Swishtail; two of Meriadoc's ponies
7. Cirdan, Galadriel; Elven royalty--among the Eldest at the time of the Fourth Age
8. Carchost, Narchost; towers [of the Teeth] guarding the Black Gate [the Morannon]
9. Quenya, Sindarin; Elven languages
10. Council of Elrond, Entmoot; important decisive meetings that ultimately defeated the Powers of Darkness

Anarrima
The Shire

Jan 15 2008, 4:51pm

Post #10 of 19 (259 views)
Shortcut
some tough ones! [In reply to] Can't Post

Questions

1. Nenya .............. Vilya -- two of the three elven rings

2. Eowyn ............ Dernhelm -- Dernhelm is Eowyn's alias
3. Elessar ............ Estel -- two of Aragorn's aliases (although there seems to be an extra space in Elessar, maybe this isn't the right answer!)

4. Elanor ............ Simbelmyne -- flowers found in Lothlorien and Rohan
5. Caradhras ............ D_ o _ -- ok, I'm stumped here. Doom? Door? Dior? I just don't know. Nothing I can think of makes sense.
6. Stybba ............ Swishtail -- ponies used by members of the fellowship

7. Cirdan ............ Galadriel -- elves, both possessed elven rings at one point

8. Carchost ............ Narchost -- the towers on either side of the black gate (almost had me here!)

9. Quenya ............ Sindarian -- elven languages

10. Council of Elrond ............ Entmoot -- meetings held near the end of the third age to discuss how to deal with the threat posed by Sauron/Saruman.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 15 2008, 5:54pm

Post #11 of 19 (259 views)
Shortcut
My poor brain :) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Nenya, Vilya - both are elven rings
2. Eowyn, Dernhelm - is the same person
3. Elessar, Estel - is the same person
4. Elanor, Simbelmyne - flowers
5. Caradhras, Doom - both are deathly dangerous
6. Stybba, Swishtail - ponies, belonged to Merry
7. Cirdan, Galadriel - mighty elven lords and bearers of elven rings
8. Carchost, Narchost - towers at Cirith Gorgor
9. Quenya, Sindarin - elven languages
10. Council of Elrond, Entmoot - meetings and councils

Tricky one - Doom and Swishtail particularly, I despaired over them! But it was fun - thank you!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 17 2008, 12:59am

Post #12 of 19 (249 views)
Shortcut
This is hard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nenya, Vilya, Elvish rings (not at all sure of spelling)

Eowyn, Dernhelm, names of the same person

Elessar, Estel, names of the same person

Elanor, Symbelmyne, names of flowers

Caradhras, Doom, both mountains

Cirdan, Galadriel, both wear elven rings

8. C _ r _ _ o s
_ ............ N _ r _ _ o s _

Quenya, Sindarin, Elvish languages

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2008, 3:54am

Post #13 of 19 (245 views)
Shortcut
Wowza [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I did fine until the last three. The best I can hope for is invisible extra credit for those.
1. Nenya, Vilya -- Two rings of the "Three rings for elf kings under the sky"
2. Eowyn, Dernhelm -- Dernhelm is Eowyn's pseudonym
3. Elessar, Estel -- Two of Aragorn's names
4. Elanor, Simbelmyrne -- Two flowers in Middle-Earth
5. Caradhras, Doom -- Two mountains in Middle-Earth (not very nice ones, either)
6. Stybba, Swishtail -- Two ponies ridden by hobbits
7. Cirdan, Galadriel -- Two original keepers of the Three
8. Carfrost, Narfrost -- The elves who cause me to have to scrape my windshield in the morning
9. Quince, Figdoon -- Two fruits in Middle-Earth
10. Cancellflation, Eomeoer -- Two rejected character names

Where's Frodo?

Isabel
The Shire

Jan 17 2008, 11:05pm

Post #14 of 19 (249 views)
Shortcut
Lost in translation!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup that's me! You see my mother language is Spanish (I'm from Uruguay) so i've read the books in Spanish and the movies doesn't give you that much info. I can't play these games Unsure My LOTR trivia stinks anyway, lol. But look like you guys figured it out, great job!

"Everybody lies" Gregory House

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2008, 3:54am

Post #15 of 19 (234 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or Bienvenido! (is that close to being right?) Anyway, nice to meet you, Isabel! I wouldn't have guessed that English wasn't your first language. It does look like you accidentally replied to me instead of to the original post. Most of us view the board in "threaded mode" and it can be confusing to those who aren't used to it. Basically, you just need to click "Reply" in the box of the post that you want to reply to, not the last one in the thread. It makes it easier to see who is talking to whom. Hope to see you around!

Where's Frodo?

Isabel
The Shire

Jan 18 2008, 5:01am

Post #16 of 19 (233 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

And ooohhhhh so that's how it works! Thanks again! One question though, if i clicked reply on the last post, can everybody see it? i mean i want to reply in a way that everyone can see my post. Sorry for getting of topic btw!

(This post was edited by Isabel on Jan 18 2008, 5:03am)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2008, 4:55pm

Post #17 of 19 (228 views)
Shortcut
Everyone will see it [In reply to] Can't Post

The difference is, in threaded mode, your post will correctly appear indented under the original post of the person you are replying to when you click "reply" in the box of the orignal post. I'll try to replicate the 'threaded mode' style here:

Bilbo's Brainteasers
Finding Frodo's answers
Isabel's answers

If you are reading in flat mode and you click "reply" in the box of the last post you read, it will look like this in threaded mode:

Bilbo's Brainteasers
Finding Frodo's answers
Isabel's answers

So you see, it looks like you were replying to me, when if fact you were replying to Altaira about the quiz. Everyone will see it either way. In flat mode, it doesn't make a difference, but most people here use threaded mode so it's easier to see the flow of conversation. For more on this, see this thread on the Feedback board, and you'll find you're not the only one who is more accustomed to flat mode!

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18 2008, 5:08pm

Post #18 of 19 (233 views)
Shortcut
Too Late :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to have you here!! I'll chime in and welcome you to one of the most fabulous places around!!

Cheers!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Isabel
The Shire

Jan 19 2008, 1:59am

Post #19 of 19 (219 views)
Shortcut
Thank you too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is great to be here! (i wanted to reply to gramma's post directly, did i do it?? Btw i get it now why we have to add titles to our posts, wwoohhooo me!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.