Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Any Actual Places that Remind You of Middle Earth?....
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 9:48pm

Post #26 of 35 (88 views)
Shortcut
I would love to [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of my family ancestry is English/Scottish/Welsh, so I would love to visit all of those countries. I finally got the chance to go to England earlier this year, but was only there long enough to go to London and Bath (which were great of course). And yes, I have seen Brave, as well as various other movies and books that take place in Scotland, which of course makes me want to visit all the more!

I think we need to set up a TORn cultural exchange program - you come visit me in my country, I'll come visit you in yours. Smile

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Nov 27 2013, 10:56pm

Post #27 of 35 (93 views)
Shortcut
Ah, Bath... *sighs at the very thought of the city* [In reply to] Can't Post

Such an inspiring place - I went there a few years ago and visited Glastonbury. Such a na´eve little girl I had been... I now realise I take loads of things for granted (I never realised just how many people wanted to come to Scotland because of its history and fabulous landscapes until going online and learning about it in school).

And to think I have never actually been to London after all these years... Laugh

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Kim
Valinor

Nov 27 2013, 11:42pm

Post #28 of 35 (83 views)
Shortcut
Sigh indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I just had to see Bath after reading about it in Jane Austen novels and seeing it in various movies. Unfortunately, I could only squeeze in a day trip, so didn't have a lot of time to explore, but I'm so glad I went. I did manage to hit most of the big touristy places in London, which again was just so cool after reading about them for years/seeing in movies etc. It was pretty mind-blowing to be in places 1000 years old like the Tower - the town I live in just celebrated its 100th anniversary. Smile

The thing about Scotland that appeals to me (besides my family history) is that it's actually very similar to where I live. The nearby mountains here are very similar to the pictures you posted. And Scottish accents are my favorite. Sly

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 28 2013, 12:06am

Post #29 of 35 (77 views)
Shortcut
I. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am constantly reminded of Amon Hen whenever I am in a forest.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Nov 28 2013, 12:39am

Post #30 of 35 (80 views)
Shortcut
The Nine [In reply to] Can't Post

Some months back, there was an item of English archaeology news which was downright spooky:
"A rather extravagant *nine* previously unknown crypts have been found underneath Coventry's medieval Cathedral remains... It is thought they may have been burial vaults for noble families."
Did they find any Morgul blades, I wonder?

boldog
Rohan

Nov 28 2013, 9:50am

Post #31 of 35 (70 views)
Shortcut
My Property [In reply to] Can't Post

Backs onto a large 500 acre Property, which is pretty much just paddock, and grazing land for cows. That on its own reminds me of the plains of Rohan a lot. Plus to add to the picture, we have the Blue mountains (in Sydney, not Eriador) that pretty much surround the horizon behind these paddocks, and when the sun sets behind them, and the sky is red above them, it looks a lot like mordor. The view is almost a replica of the one from TTT when Gandalf says "The battle of helms deep is over, the battle for middle earth is about to begin" I will add pictures to see what u think

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2013, 11:39am

Post #32 of 35 (58 views)
Shortcut
whoa, yes that's creepy indeed! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

RangerLady23
Lorien

Nov 29 2013, 7:29pm

Post #33 of 35 (47 views)
Shortcut
Yes here recently [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been foggy every morning and it really makes me feel like I am on the Barrow Downs. I wonder sometimes when I go to feed my horses if I will get lost and wake up underground and wearing swords and rings and stuff!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 30 2013, 8:23pm

Post #34 of 35 (35 views)
Shortcut
Watkins Glen [In reply to] Can't Post

Watkins Glen State Park (NY State) is very lovely and I can imagine parts of it as locations in Middle-earth (such as the wilder regions of the Shire).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Dec 1 2013, 11:56pm

Post #35 of 35 (59 views)
Shortcut
The highlands of Scotland [In reply to] Can't Post

Have often reminded me of the Misty Mountains when I visit. Though I am aware that there are other more impressive mountain ranges in the world, but the Highlands are an impressive range in themselves.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.