Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug (Spoiler)

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 1:20am

Post #1 of 11 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Smaug (Spoiler) Can't Post

I've been wondering about his death. I think someone mentioned on this board that the bare patch on his breast may be a result of Thorin & co. engaging him as we have seen from the trailers. The more I thought about this, the more that idea has merit when we get to TaBA. In the eyes of Thorin, it would diminish the men's claim on a share of the gold if Bard wasn't singularly responsible for Smaug's death, rather he just capitalized on a vulnerability created by the Dwarves.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 2:41am

Post #2 of 11 (453 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually really like that idea. It could work if it's done well.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 4:04am

Post #3 of 11 (368 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

A strike by Orcrist or perhaps some dynamite?! Ori's slingshot firing the dynamite, right up his Jackson?! ;)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

(This post was edited by BlackCountry on Nov 26 2013, 4:05am)

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 26 2013, 6:36am

Post #4 of 11 (337 views)
Shortcut
Love this idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont like that Bard was the only one who take responsibility for Smaug's death in the book. The Company or atleast Thorin should be more responsible for his death.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 8:50am

Post #5 of 11 (303 views)
Shortcut
The patch [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know much mythology, but I recall the patch idea being used by Zemekis in Beowulf.
It's not about Jackson patching Tolkien's holes, it's just a good idea that works on the screen, to keep with the whole spirit of the film. We may even see dwarves learning of Smaug's news and thinking they were the ones to wound him mortally (I wonder how they are going to learn the news, if there won't be any talking ravens).

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2013, 9:28am

Post #6 of 11 (317 views)
Shortcut
I thought I read somewhere that it was Girion's original shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

that caused the damage to Smaug's armour...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
» Victoria Monfort

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 11:29am

Post #7 of 11 (261 views)
Shortcut
Also remember.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Bilbo too had a hand in the dragon's demise! ;)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 12:22pm

Post #8 of 11 (230 views)
Shortcut
Seems like a good idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Ultimately, Smaug has been wounded at some point to create the bald patch. I see no reason for us not to learn the cause, and Girion, as Bard's ancestor, might as well get that glory as the rightful King.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 26 2013, 12:50pm

Post #9 of 11 (238 views)
Shortcut
Girion, Dwarves, Bilbo, Legolas, Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

I could imagine that it was Girion who wounded Smaug. Afterwards Smaug covers his wound with something out of his treasure and it might be Bilbo who noticed it. And perhaps together Bilbo with the help of the Ring and perhaps a diversionary tactic by the Dwarves becomes able to remove this "shield" from Smaugs wounded chest while it is finally Bard who kills Smaug with his black arrow. And it could be Legolas who (with his "elven eyes") tells Bard where Smaugs wound is.

In this scenario all races Hobbit, Dwarves, Men, Elves would have played a part in Smaugs demise. Worked together in a way which would gave all of them the right of at least a small part of the treasure.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 26 2013, 12:52pm)

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 1:11pm

Post #10 of 11 (216 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I've always thought that the idea of Smaug having jewels encrusted in his scales as pretty silly. It might be cool to see Smaug preening himself like a cat. I guess he could melt (with fire) an iron shield over the spot, although that sounds ridiculous.

I don't think that Legy will be in LT when Smaug comes as it would be very hard to justify him not doing something crazy and spectacular in order to bring him down. I can't see him just standing around shooting arrows in vain. It's just not his style and he would find a way to climb up on Smaug etc.

Also, I wonder why they decided not to show Legolas with Thrandy in the prologue to AUJ either there to receive the jewels, or when the elves rock up to see what is going on when the dragon attacks (possibly disagreeing with his father if even with an unsure look). It wasn't more than 160 (? -please don't crucify for me being incorrect!) years before the events of The Hobbit, so it's not like he wasn't old enough.

I really can't wait for this film now; my RL has gone completely to hell since having everything perfectly in place with having the love of my life/dream job/amazing flat when AUJ came out. I've lost all my fat (25kg) since then and have vowed to get my life back. Following these boards has really kept me going. It's meant so much to me and has been such a welcome distraction. I love really everyone's musings on here and speculating about these films/books that mean so much to all of us.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Nov 26 2013, 11:00pm

Post #11 of 11 (80 views)
Shortcut
HEHE [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've been wondering about his death. I think someone mentioned on this board that the bare patch on his breast may be a result of Thorin & co. engaging him as we have seen from the trailers.

That was my threadů Blush

I think you make a good point about the consequences for TABA and Thorin.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.