Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
That terrific interview with Richard Armitage on the 'front page'
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 26 2013, 4:38am

Post #26 of 34 (201 views)
Shortcut
pssst... just for the record, there's already a thread on this just below this one [In reply to] Can't Post

As the board moves faster and faster in the next few weeks, let's all remember to scan page one of the board before starting a new thread and if there's already a thread on the topic you want to discuss, please post in that thread.

Normally we'd lock duplicate threads, but since we didn't notice until now, and this one has so many replies, we'll let it proceed. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 12:57pm

Post #27 of 34 (138 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I posted this message straight after I read the interview on the front page and didn't realise until later that there was already a general thread about the interview.

Sometimes, when one has very little time, there isn't the opportunity to look through other posts! Will try to bear your message in mind, though. (My post does also refer to a specific point in the interview, rather than the interview in general.) Wink

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 1:04pm

Post #28 of 34 (157 views)
Shortcut
Another thing that occurred to me [In reply to] Can't Post

It's that a scene like that described by RA could have served as a counterpoint to the tomfoolery with the other Dwarves (perhaps my least favourite in the EE).

On the other hand, it may have been too early to show such a display of trust between Thorin and Bilbo. Ideally, such a scene might be better towards the beginning of DoS – and it would be wonderful if it could be shown as a flashback, fireflies included, inside the Dwarf caves (reminiscent of the Glittering Caves mentioned in the LotR books but never shown in the films).

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 26 2013, 1:06pm)

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Nov 26 2013, 1:13pm

Post #29 of 34 (137 views)
Shortcut
I could see that happening [In reply to] Can't Post

I..e that they flashback to this scene, and Thorin kind of says "remember what I told you back in Rivendell", or Bilbo uses it to try to kind of counter Thorin's madness by saying kind of "Thorin, this isn't who you are. Remember when you told me...".

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 1:34pm

Post #30 of 34 (145 views)
Shortcut
I think it is good the scene is out. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it does sound beautiful at first and fitting.

But imho it completely screwes with the Thorin/Bilbo relationship, which reaches its low in AUJ immediately after Rivendell. Both when Bilbo looks back at the last homely house and during the Stone Giant sequence.

That intimate scene would have been out of character.

Maybe there will be a point for a similar scene in the next two movies.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 1:50pm

Post #31 of 34 (129 views)
Shortcut
re recognition IMO fortunately fans have spoken [In reply to] Can't Post

Completely agree that RA and MF well deserve some of the more "formal" industry awards. But to me the Oscars is particular seem to be very political - I was pretty surprised a while back when I discovered actual "campaign ads" as tho the actors and actresses were running for office or something.

But if I could say anything to RA it'd be to offer enormous respect, in that in earlier interviews he talks about the fear kicking in re the part, and certainly he was well aware of the grumblers and the doubters. And talks about "just putting your head down and working like you've never worked before."

And IMO he's DONE IT. His Thorin is complex and magnificent and interviewers comment on the popularity of the character - also remember during the Batman/Ben Affleck stuff articles talking about how impressed WB was with RA - so the industry likes him too. Think RA has done something extraordinary with Thorin - and do believe as filming went on PJ & co. realized more and more, through the camera and in working with RA, how much there was to work with and has made use of it, happily (I'd say THANK YOU to PJ too.)

Re MF - I can't watch Bilbo without thinking how scarily good MF is - he's just SO perfect as Bilbo. If I were an actress I'd study his performance just to watch, and learn. Am sure someone, someday, will re-make the Hobbit, but wouldn't want to be the one following in RA's or MF's shoes.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 26 2013, 5:06pm

Post #32 of 34 (88 views)
Shortcut
100 per cent agree, Avandel. [In reply to] Can't Post

As usual, your words go straight to the point…

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2013, 6:17pm

Post #33 of 34 (69 views)
Shortcut
(Thank you for indulging us, dear Altaira...) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The second TORn Amateur Symposium is running right now, in the Reading Room. Come have a look and maybe stay to chat!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2013, 8:56pm

Post #34 of 34 (36 views)
Shortcut
ah, interesting about the idea of it being transplanted! Let's hope so :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.